SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

February 2021 Week 4

dbarron
3 years ago

Well, we made it, through to the final week of February, even though a week from today is the 28, close enough?

Harrowing adventures of -15F, snow, ice, and power outages. But I think we're all still here (hopefully) while Covid continues though reporting says that is fading a bit as vaccinations and indeed weather helped with isolation.

Spring should resume its normally scheduled programming now and hopefully nothing worse than an Easter squall awaits us. Daffodils will burst into bloom, dogwoods, azaleas, etc. Soon, we'll be complaining about having to run the AC non-stop. Yep, that sounds normal.

I wandered out a bit yesterday and surveyed damages. I can tell the texas sage was bit, can't tell how badly yet really. The clump bamboo is defoliated (not a big deal...I may even just take it to the ground before new growth starts...it'll look cleaner than a few sprigs here and there with leaves), the sabal minor palm has lost all it's leaves (ie they're brown and the new spear is dead, but it should come back..slowly), the oxblood lily foliage is dead (but it would have been dormant in a month anyway, won't know if it's alive underneath till fall), one of the iris I planted in November lost most of it..if not all. My perennial? snapdragons suffered only some top burn (quite impressive at -15F)..

On the plus side, the crocus opened a few more blooms (were blooming before this) yesterday and I can see tulips and daffodils coming up unphazed. I'll be probably till June taking death tolls (hopefully nothing more than I mentioned, but who knows). Still, I feel lucky that I didn't suffer from power outages and all and indeed impressed that anything could look unphazed by that severe cold snap.

Comments (69)