dbarronoss

February 2021 Week 4

dbarron
3 months ago

Well, we made it, through to the final week of February, even though a week from today is the 28, close enough?

Harrowing adventures of -15F, snow, ice, and power outages. But I think we're all still here (hopefully) while Covid continues though reporting says that is fading a bit as vaccinations and indeed weather helped with isolation.

Spring should resume its normally scheduled programming now and hopefully nothing worse than an Easter squall awaits us. Daffodils will burst into bloom, dogwoods, azaleas, etc. Soon, we'll be complaining about having to run the AC non-stop. Yep, that sounds normal.

I wandered out a bit yesterday and surveyed damages. I can tell the texas sage was bit, can't tell how badly yet really. The clump bamboo is defoliated (not a big deal...I may even just take it to the ground before new growth starts...it'll look cleaner than a few sprigs here and there with leaves), the sabal minor palm has lost all it's leaves (ie they're brown and the new spear is dead, but it should come back..slowly), the oxblood lily foliage is dead (but it would have been dormant in a month anyway, won't know if it's alive underneath till fall), one of the iris I planted in November lost most of it..if not all. My perennial? snapdragons suffered only some top burn (quite impressive at -15F)..

On the plus side, the crocus opened a few more blooms (were blooming before this) yesterday and I can see tulips and daffodils coming up unphazed. I'll be probably till June taking death tolls (hopefully nothing more than I mentioned, but who knows). Still, I feel lucky that I didn't suffer from power outages and all and indeed impressed that anything could look unphazed by that severe cold snap.

Comments (69)

• dbarron
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Well, it's not like we don't have an embarrassment of riches to choose from peppers...that's likely the problem (lol). So many...so many...and surely some will do better in Oklahoma than others.

I visited Dad today. He was definitely in a dementia state, and you might get him to answer a sentence, but then he would veer right back to his plan to escape the assisted living tonight, with the gun in his pants and the shells in his pockets. The nurse's aid was going to help, and go with him to take care of him and drive the car for him. It's kinda amusing, but not very amusing when you're trying to have a conversation. I'm seeing about a 50% chance of lucidity over the last month (hospital and assisted living). I guess I'm lucky that at 96, he doesn't wear socks on his ears though.

I visited his house (he insisted I call his home phone...I expected no answer, but got busy which kinda scared me) found the phone was not working (bet water in the line). I'll try again in a cpl days and see. I kept service because he wanted to have a phone at the assisted living when he got a permanent room. I'm now wondering if I want him to have a phone (sigh).

His washing machine was leaking, but all other water things seemed to be in good shape. I turned water off on the washer and hope that was where it was actually leaking.

I attended a native plants seminar (virtual) Sunday, and it got me thinking about replacing my lawn (which the zoning nazis would probably drag me to court for). I went looking through wildflower lists and due to the wetness of the front yard, coupled with summer droughts, there's not much that is suited for it. I have to plant creatively to have things now..and water (some..not a lot). Guess no yard replacement here...simply keep my weeds and mow them.

• Kim Reiss
    3 months ago

Nancy I planted 12 varieties of peppers and just like tomatoes I can’t eat them. I got a new variety from SHPC which is my favorite place to order from. It’s a little bell color mix. It will be pretty off I get to market this year.
    I found a new market venue in Gainesville. Very inexpensive. Not sure what the foot traffic is yet.
    Stock up on seeds y’all.

• Related Discussions

Recipes for ? Week 4 - February, 2013

Q

Comments (26)
    I've made taco pizza (eons ago) and don't know if this is similar or not. Pizza Hut had it on their menu (again, years ago), but it must not have gone over very well. TACO PIZZA (Life as a Lofthouse) 1 pound lean ground beef 1 envelope taco seasoning mix 1 (10 ounce) can refrigerated Pillsbury pizza dough 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used colby and monterey jack cheese) 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes 1/4 cup sliced black olives 4 green onions, chopped Heat oven to 375 degrees. Brown ground beef in a large skillet, over medium-high heat. Drain grease. Add taco seasoning to the ground beef according to package directions. Unroll pizza dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet. (I used a 10x15 inch cookie sheet). Let dough sit at room temperature for 5 minutes. Press dough over the bottom and up along all 4 sides the of cookie sheet. Bake pizza dough for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove from oven. Place refried beans into a microwavable-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir well and then spread beans evenly over the top of the warm pizza crust. Top with the cooked ground beef mixture, sprinkle with cheese and then add the tomatoes, black olives and green onion. Return to oven and bake another 5-7 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately and enjoy!
    ...See More

February 2021 Week 1

Q

Comments (61)
    I am a little nervous about the forecast. I've never cared for so many animals in weather like this, that lasts for so long. Tom did a DIY chicken waterer warmer today. Hopefully that will work well. We pulled the torn frost cloth off the hinged hoop and added plastic today. Lettuce is in that bed. I covered the other beds with frost cloth while Rick worked on the hoop house door yesterday. I am considering placing plastic over the artichoke. Artichoke is a surprise for me. I thought it thrived in the heat, but it seems to prefer wet and cool. The dogs will be miserable stuck inside. And I'm sad for my neighbors' pets that live outdoors. Rick bought a couple of 50lb bags of potatoes (one is a red and the other a white potato, I think) at Ellison's, Rebecca, but Norman is a little far for you to drive. I'm not sure what their mask policy is. Will probably start more broccoli tomorrow, as well as some flowers....and a few tomatoes for Dawn. I haven't decided yet which tomatoes to start. It will just be a 4 or 5 cups. Kim, I would take some fig cuttings if you're sharing at the Fling. Out of the 36 cabbage and 36 broccoli pellets, about 24 each look good. Lowes has broccoli and other plants out. My leek order is placed. I ordered more black bean seeds because we only have 5 jars left. Need to focus more on the beans this year and less focus on the peas. SESE was out of black beans. Vermont has the small packages, but not the large ones available. A woman at Walmart breezed by me today. Her cart was completely loaded with canning supplies including jars. I mean, overflowing with supplies. Also, food saver things. She must have grabbed all the lids because both the regular and wide mouth were gone. I wish I didn't feel so unsettled about the weather.
    ...See More

Colors, flowers and plants, please let’s see them February, 2021

Q

Comments (72)
    We may have just had two more inches of snow, and three feet on the ground, but it's spring and summer indoors. I haven't named it yet, but this is a baby pomegranate tree, about six weeks old. It's in a 2 1/2 pot, receiving sunlight at the window and artificial light from sunset to bedtime and my wakeup time until the sun strikes it. It's just sprouted from a pomegranate seed from a pomegranate from the grocery store for sheer fun and I have no expectations for it. The Ageratum That Will Not Die. Fed organically (20%) and synthetically, it just keeps blooming more nicely as the winter wears on. A "struggling" tropical hibiscus started in...November, I think? Named "Brandy." That's her individual name, not the cultivar. She was struggling a bit, but has recovered recently with keeping the soil moist (there's some cyanobacteria mats on the soil right now), and feeding a lot more than I normally would in February since she's under lights 18 hours a day.
    ...See More

March 2021 Week 5/ April week 1

Q

Comments (71)
    Lynn, you know... I grew up C of C too. As did Rick (HU). I still attend one...and am actually employed by one. It's not accepted by other C of C really because we're not so...C of C'ish. The one I am at is very, very near where you live. (I remember you telling me your general area.) I had a similar experience growing up. Sort of. My parents and people near me were NOT so hardcore with the "we don't know the true date of Christ's birth and it is wrong to celebrate it on a date that is not in the scripture." Of course you're familiar with the whole "speak where the Bible speaks, be silent where the Bible is silent" thing they had going back then. Some still do. My family celebrated these holidays as mostly a fun, family time. However, our C of C celebrates it all now. (I could ramble on about this, but won't. SO much to say.) Rick (HU) is like you. He left that behind a long time ago. I think the difference is my family (and people near me) weren't so strict. Y'all's people were. And that will make thinking people run far away. And...to prove the point that I'm not strict C of C, I'm enjoying a glass of wine RIGHT now. And coming up with an Easter lesson for my littles tomorrow morning. Sorry. That had nothing to do with gardening. I was just checking in....but had to chime in. I'm late to post on the Saturday night, so it's doubtful Lynn will even see this before the next week's thread will be created.
    ...See More
  • Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 months ago

That is hilarious, Kim! LOL. I forget what SHPC is. . . OH! AHA! My feeble mind isn't totally broke: Sand Hill Preservation Center? Excellent about venue. Pretty good-sized, right? We'll have to compare notes on peppers. One of us should start a new thread?

• Kim Reiss
    3 months ago

It took me an hour to start the thread about the okc meeting. My phone and Houzz have changed.

• Larry Peugh
    3 months ago

I just cant make myself go in and plant seeds. I let everything get so piled up I just dont know where to start. My wife and I both are hoarders and I have too much junk in my seed starting room. I have light shelves, pumpkins, sweet potatoes plastic trays seeds tools, and junk junk junk, and all I want to do is play in the wildlife garden. The wildlife garden is my "sand box". It is where I can play with my toys, but my sand box looks like a mud pit.

I lost an uncle yesterday. I only have one uncle left. My mother and dad had brothers younger than them, so I had uncles not much older than me.

I had to get out today and play also. It was 64* when I went out, very nice.

• OklaMoni
    3 months ago

Yes, better get your seeds, if you still want some...

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I want to live in a sandbox, Larry! Our house is very spare and clean. And then there is "my" room, that my darling husband made for me when we married and I moved down here 6 years ago. Right now I have a 3x6 bookshelf, 2 more bookshelves that are 8 feet long; fabric shelves that are 6x8' and hold my quilting shelves. And I cleared part of them for canned goods. This room is also my quilting studio. I have a 3x6' long table. My big computer is on half; my big Juki sewing machine on the other half. Then I have my seed-starting card table set up and am starting 'em up. God my fairly large TV and my recliner. Got all my paintings stacked up here and there. The cats' feeding station is in here on the back side of my 3x6' table. It has to be up here because if it were on the floor, Titan would eat all their food. This is one hell of a room. Garry comes in to visit, but clearly this is not his problem. This evening he came in and was looking around and asked how I was doing. I said. . . I'm doing fine, but I have kind of a mess to clean up near my seed starting station. He said, "Honey, good luck. . . I'm not worried--I kinda like it. It's YOUR room." LOL

I know. . . if we let it, we can begin to feel lonely when our loved ones and friends begin dying. Here's my idea. We need to find 30 or 20 or 40-yr old friends. I remember when I was in my 20s, living in Buffalo WY. Somehow, we bridge lovers began a contract bridge club in town. . . we had to find a partner. . . I can'r remember how my parther and I found each other--but she was 93 at the time, and I was probably 27. We became fast friends. Iris and her husband Jack Lee. Two absolutely terrific mentors and friends.

Love to ya all.

• OklaMoni
    3 months ago

Nancy... that isn't a current picture is it? All those lovely seedlings...

:)

Moni

• jlhart76
    3 months ago

When we got married, my husband made a comment that all my "friends" that came to the wedding were 50 and older. Other than my maid of honor and 5 college girlfriends, everyone else was older. I never paid it much attention, but he's right. I've never many friends my own age. Guess it's time for me to start making friends with 20 year olds.

I left the lights on for heat during the freeze and now some of my seedlings are yellowing. Hopefully a few days of normal day/night sequences will fix them.

• Melissa
    3 months ago

Good morning gardening peeps!!

Nancy, so sorry to hear about your pipes in the shop. But at least it was out there and not in your house. I have a friend who's pipes busted in their garage after they started thawing out and the whole ceiling came down.

I have tried to plant kale so many different times and have not been successful so I don't think I'll try again this year. We don't eat enough to really care though. I have a soup that I use it in, but I started buying frozen since it would keep longer.

Hmmm, I'm intrigued by these dwarf varieties now. I might have to go down that path as well lol. They would be perfect for apartment/townhouse living. I planted a specific variety of tomato last year that was a million cherry tomato but wasn't dwarf. I don't think I'll ever plant that one again. I had 2 plants and so many dang tomatoes that I couldn't keep up. I'd rather have roma tomatoes.

I want to grow banana peppers again this year. I loved pickled banana peppers on a sub in the summer. My peppers didn't do squat last year and I was really bummed but hopefully this year they'll be better. I have seeds but I think I want to try something different. I have tried the color mix variety Kim, and they have sadly never performed well for me. Best of luck!

I watched a video on sweet potato slips and I was like, OHHHHH! LOL. A couple years ago I told my MIL that I wanted to have a sweet potato farm. We eat so many sweet potatoes in so many different dishes, not to mention just raw. I love raw sweet potatoes. Anywho, I think I am going to get a few organic sweet potatoes at either Sprout's or Natural Grocers and grow some slips.

jlhart- same! I've always migrated towards older friends since I was in grade school. I don't know why, but I have. Still the same way today. I just bond with them easier for some reason.

Larry, so sorry to hear about your uncle.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

Fred's tie dye is a large dwarf, Nancy, semi determinate if I remember right. Think 4' tall. I grew it In a feed tub, I think there was another tomato in the tub, too.

Condolences Larry. I spoke to my aunt Sunday. She is 96. She's the last of her generation in the family.

• Larry Peugh
    3 months ago

Melissa, thanks, I did not get to see my uncle often, he lived in Missouri. My uncle was quite a guy, he loves hunting, riding and training horses and mules, rebuilding cars, gardening, and many other things. Most of my family is not as lazy as I am. I have one uncle left, he is also a person that works all the time, he lives about 5 miles from me, and the last time I talked to my aunt, my uncle was getting ready to paint one of his trucks, he collect cars and trucks, he is in his 80's also.

I got up this morning telling my sell, "I just have to start seeds today", and Madge told me that the oven wont work, and, no power in the bathroom receptacles. I think I know what the problems are, but not sure I can see well enough to make the repairs, plus, the oven requires getting down in the floor and working on my side, it has been a long time since I tried that.

I will have to go to Ft. Smith to find a part, and It will be a good time for us to go eat with Madge's son, he will be working in Ft. Smith today, he installs cabinets and travels a lot.

Melissa, I wish Madge knew how to fix sweet potatoes and winter squash/pumpkins in many ways, I have had such good luck growing them ( except fighting insects and critters), and they store so well. The storing problem is one reason my seed starting room is in such a mess, I may have to cut some of the pumpkins up an feed them to the cattle. Because of covid we have so few visitors that we cant give things away. I can hardly force myself to just throw something away.

• Kim Reiss
    3 months ago

My new friend is 78. My daughter suggested I find younger friends. Most of my friends have been older and all are passed.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 months ago

Yeah, you need to follow your daughter's advice, Kim! LOL I'm tryin' to collect lots of younger ones. The older one get, the easier it is to find younger friends. . . I'm cracking myself up.

How cute, Amy! Just about to finish his 5th month?

Holy mackerel. Just went out to spritz seeds, and less than 24 hours later, lettuce is sprouting. Wow. I like its style!

Baby steps, Larry--what seeds are you thinking you need to get going on? Also. . . sounds like a blown fuse. ?? I hope it is an easy fix.

And me. . . I'm meeting people at the school this afternoon. Gotta get that show on the road, too.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    3 months ago

(posing as younger friend), Like Hi Nancy, have you played Pokemon this morning? I caught a Snorlax while I was bicycling here from home. Oh and my boyfriend is coming over later, so I can't stay long. He wants to show me the mustache he's trying to grow, but between you and me, it's pretty thin, he doesn't really even need to shave. (/end pose)

I'm thinking maybe you don't mean quite that young? :) (I thought of this and it cracked me up, so I had to make a post joke of it).

I transplanted the false sunflowers into 7 pots, though it would have probably been better to use 15 pots, but I don't need that many clumps of 'Burning Hearts'. I'll leave them out to let tonights rain settle the pots good, then bring in before tomorrow evenings frost.

I also planted an evergreen clematis that had been on my porch for the last 2.5 weeks, to avoid the really nasty weather and cleaned up things that winter killed. Now to brace for 5 days of rain.

Oh, and I have to (maybe) go close on the house that my father and mother shared (not where he lived last before Asst Living) tomorrow. That is if the buyer will show.

He is very resistant to communication, never answers phone, can't be left VM (full). Apparently he went through bank drive-in this morning and they told him close at 4 pm today. Title company says 10 tomorrow and hopes to adjust his timing if he shows up at 4, since they already are aware that they can't communicate by phone, etc (I told them and it bears up in their trials so far). Yes, I knew when Dad's wife called this morning, she was going to ruin my day with all this. However, it will be nice to not have to deal with it anymore and finish.

• OklaMoni
    3 months ago

Nancy, missed the water break. Is it fixed now?

Larry, what did you plant?

Amy cute cute baby pictures!

Danny, that's a lot on your shoulder.

I put some seeds in trays/containers on top of the fridge. Tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, basil, dianthus, parsley, Oregano, sorrel, Swiss chard, cone flowers and zinnias...

I think that's all. :)

Moni

• Nancy Waggoner
    3 months ago

Danny, I laughed for a solid minute right out loud when I saw. your post. I'm still laughing. But NO. But still very funny!! Thanks for the laugh. . . I'll be back shortly.

• Nancy Waggoner
    3 months ago

Moni, had to laugh--what's on top of my fridge--Doritos and my precious fluffy duster. Have to keep it up there so the cats don't attack it. Will be back after a while. Multitasking after planting and then spending 5 hours at my "other job." LOL. At lecwagoner.org

• Larry Peugh
    3 months ago

Nancy, I have not planted anything. I did repair the stove. Madge and I went out to eat while in Ft. Smith for the part, also went to Lowes and 10 LED 4' T8 tunes to convert T8 fluorescent over to LED direct wire. I am hoping the LED will last longer. I am getting too old to climb around and change light tubes.

I spent some time in the wildlife garden, I am still burning that brush pile! That brush pile may burn two or more days.

I check my cold frame, something is coming up, but it looks leggy, I just put 4 mil visqueen on the frame, which may be too cloudy.

• Nancy Waggoner
    3 months ago

Danny, have a 16. yr old friend who keeps sending me PMs about the FB game she's playing. She keeps stealing things or hurting my stuff or or or. I never answer here, and can't imagine why she does this to me. I think she just thinks it's funny to keep sending me this stuff because she knows what I'm thinking. Her Mom is a friend too. This young friend loves to come out to visit, and I hired her to do some gardening last year until Covid happened. She'd be more apt to talk like that. But I have some wonderful. young friends (including a wise granddaughter) who are inspirational, thoughtful young adults.

Did crack me up, Danny.

And I will be celebrating when you get this stuff done, Danny. You should let us know and we can all toast the occasion with our beverage of choice. I know Amy's going through it with her father's death, and all I can say is, "Prayers for both of you."

I MUST get rid of all this STUFF so our kids don't have to deal with a bunch of garbage. We do have a trust. .. . but I need to go the the bank and see what needs to be updated. It could get messy with unblended families--but when blended..........EEEKS. Everything here was Garry's when we married and moved down. And to avoid entanglements with his kids vs me vs me and my kids, I sunk my entire 401(k) savings into bringing the balance down on the property mortgage, so it would be in both our names, and then we created the trust. So if I remember to get the bank stuff updated, there shouldn't really be any problems.

Larry, I've got lettuces and chard growing like crazy on the big grow cart. And I soaked some hot pepper seeds I'd saved and then planted on Monday morning--I saw one buckled little sprout this evening, so am guessing there will be several more tomorrow. That is record fast time.

Back to your Dad, Danny, and dementia. I have a funny story about my Mom. She was always sharp as a tack in many ways. In her last year, she began to lose it. One conversation we had about three months before she died, she was asking me something (I don't remember what), and I had no idea what she was talking about, so was hemming and hawing for a few seconds. She began laughing and asked me if she made any sense. And I laughed and admitted I wasn't sure what she was asking. And she asked, still laughing, "Do you think I must have a few cobwebs in my brain? I do!" And I laughed, too and allowed as how that was a definite possibility. Precious, because that was the last conversation I had with her.

Larry, tell Madge that since she's brave enough to make snow angels in her swim suit, she oughtta get out there and garden in same.

Moni, we did get the shop fixed. Our plumber got out here and fixed it right up, to the tune of $240.00 (rounded up) well-spent dollars. GDW was out trying to assist the drying up process today. We're a bit worried about the bottom logs.

I'm sticking with my tried and true fluorescent lights on my grow cart. Not in the mood to experiment with LED. I'm sure I'll be ordering more this spring. . . T8, 6500 K.

I'll be on seed-planting 24/7 over the next two weeks. Beginning with lots of peppers tomorrow.

Hey Melissa! I just got my Fr onion pots today. . . woo-hoo, here I go. But first have to turn in a grocery order for broth, French bread, and Swiss cheese.. . .

Love to you all!

• Kim Reiss
    3 months ago

Melissa if you want to go down the sweet potato trail go to Sand Hill Preservation Center website. They have the best descriptions and varieties of sweets. I get lost dreaming of all the toes I want to grow

• Larry Peugh
    3 months ago

Nancy, Madge does not like the garden, and would not go out there in her bathing suit anyway, she looks pretty good lying in the snow, the cold pull the wrinkles out, and chases away the bugs. When she goes to the garden, she comes in with bug bites all over her, hot and sweaty. Our gardening routine is, I grow it, I pick it, and wash it outside ( if needed ), and bring it in to the counter. I tell her she can have all she wants, if she does not want it, I take it to someone else. I always have more than she wants. I do however help if we are going to prep for canning or freezing.

The LED tubes I bought this time are T8 6500 K. 1750 lumens, I bought the direct wire kind, so I will have to modify the fixture. These are for the kitchen. I bought GE, hoping they were made in the US, but when opened them they turned out to be made in China also. The last ones I bought said that they were 5000 lumens, I doubt that they are that bright, but they have been fine on the light shelf.

Madge had to go to the Dr. this morning, and did not want me working in the kitchen ( other than finishing the repair on the stove ), we were going to have company. By the time the company left it was too late to start any other repair. I go to the Dr. tomorrow for my last Covid shot, I should have time to finish another repair tomorrow.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I managed to close the property, get the check (made out in fathers name only..because of title), and since I was only one that could cash it, put it all in my name. Plan: Trust (just in case money) untouched. Wife wasn't happy...so she may run to attorney. Time shall tell I guess. I closed one bank account and gave her the money from it (only $637), and hoped she'd go away happy enough for now.

This was what my father had been telling me for months, but today he changed his tune (but also less than 25% rational, maybe 10%), and I decided to go with the previous direction which had seemed much more lucid AND made sense.

While in the bank drive thru, she told me that my father had been pushing her to marry me. (I hope that is just the moneygrubber) Horrified!

• Kim Reiss
    3 months ago

Oh dear Danny. I am sorry that you are going through this. My exes son tried that with me years ago. I was equally horrified. Yuk. I hope you get through this without any more trauma from her

• Larry Peugh
    3 months ago

Danny, I am so sorry. I went through something like that with my mother, only the other side was my step dad and my daughter-in-law. I just could not believe the things my mother was telling me. I had to get an attorney for mom, she got a divorce at 90 years old and came to live with me. My daughter-in-law had power of attorney and was changing everything. Mom kept telling me what was going on. I would talk to them and they would tell me that mom was just confused. I am not sure, but when I followed the steps that the attorney suggested, it looked like everything mom was telling me was true. I cant complain, I got mom to the hosp, then to a nursing home till she could recover, then to my home. I think they planned to let mom die, but she lived another 5 years and was much happier and received better care living with me and Madge.

Times like these can just rip your heart out, but if it had not happened the way it did, I would not have got to spend those wonderful years with my mother. I think of Genesis 50:20 when I think about the deal mom had to go through, not that it saved so many lives, but I do think it saved mom's life. I dont think mom would have lived through the winter. But, anyway, Danny, I hope you dont have the heart ache that I did.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

Make sure all bank accounts have a beneficiary or Pay on death person. We still don't have mom's one account closed. Everything is split between 4 kids. Though I told my sister to take some cash that was in his walker. I mean, she'd been there 24/7 and deserves some compensation. Trying to clean the apartment out. Ugh. Scanned a bunch of old pictures yesterday. Trying to arrange a virtual memorial service since church doesn't allow in person services right now.

I looked outside this morning and the winter sow tub is broken and has no lid. I will go water them I guess. I may have to put things off another year. It's only Feb, right? I don't have to start tomatoes yet? I don't know how to time myself with out Dawn. I don't know when I'll squeeze in tomatoes. Must get Ron's help.

It's Thursday I think.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 months ago

I'm aiming for March 1 on tomatoes, Amy. I'm going to do a bunch of peppers today. Midnight Fire pepper (my seeds) germinated after only 3 days. That was exciting.

For sure what Amy said. I couldn't get one of Mom's accounts closed because of that. Is there help in cleaning out the apartment, Amy? Again, sorry you all are going through this, Amy and Danny. It's hard enough to get through without the additional people troubles.

I ended up with too many peppers. Way too many peppers. I'm so excited to see them growing.

• Melissa
    3 months ago

Kim, I did go check out Sand Hill and they have a lot of good information. I'll be bookmarking that site and referencing. Thanks for sharing!!

Danny, sounds like you have your hands full and I hope things don't get worse for you. Sending prayers because I know it can get nasty, unfortunately.

Nancy, I think I'll follow your lead on March 1st. I think I am going to plant extra this year for neighbors. I love growing them from seed but I don't need so many. I gave away my entire strawberry patch last year because it had become overgrown and I was tired of fighting it. Then I had started waaaay too many tomato plants (imagine that) and gave several away as well.

We will probably be moving in June or July unless the housing market takes a nose dive so I'll be planting most of my stuff that I'm going to keep in containers. I'm thinking of planting my raised beds still though as a housewarming gift to the new homeowners. Hopefully they will enjoy it. If not, they can rip it out sadly lol.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I hope you don't feel this is soap opera general..but here's the mornings update.

I got a call from the assisted living facility that the wife had showed up bright and early 'to get her husband to sign some papers'. She was informed that due to his mental condition, he couldn't legally sign any papers (the papers were POAs). She was refused entry and told that her visitation rights are suspended and future visits will have to be supervised by an aide.

The assisted living (with apparently skillful conversation skills), also elicted from her that she was 'owed money from a property sale', and dispensed the advise that she had no rights to pre-existing property, and that my father could not legally sign anything due to the Dr statement of mental acuity issued yesterday.

So, I'm very shocked the assisted living came down on my side so well, but fear the wife will try 'lawyering' up.

I have my name (and she doesn't have hers) on all bank accounts. The remaining house is currently in my father's name only.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 months ago

don't forget George sells sweet potato slips. My only issue with Sand Hill is they don't take on line orders. You have to mail them a check.

Danny, I'm sorry. I'm glad the assisted living center took such good care of you. Have you changed the locks on the other property?

Going to Bartlesville.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I haven't...they (apparently) changed the locks in October (I didn't know). As of Monday, I now have the current set of keys (but of course she also has them).

The current plan (as directed by my father) was to split the existing house 50/50. I had no real issue with that, it was bought (though she had no money) after they were married. However, her current actions are leading me to think in other directions. His current will (pre-existing before marriage to her) lists me as sole heir.

Amy, I hope you don't have any issues.

Melissa, how far are you planning on moving. Containers of soil are plenty heavy.

• Rebecca (7a)
    3 months ago

Amy, I’m sure we can fix you up with tomato plants. I know I’ll have plenty extra. You’ve got enough on your hands.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 months ago

Where is everyone? Using Larry's words, did you all get raptured? I planted sweet potatoes to get slips this morning, and am now getting ready to plant a whole MESS of peppers.

We picked up groceries from Walmart this morning and they included a little sample bag. We tasted a Ritz treat--a newbie, and a cereal called Tiger's Paw. We threw the entire bag and contents away when we got home. I have loved Ritz crackers for a lifetime, but they should have stuck with what they knew.

Danny fingers crossed that you can get out of this unpleasant business as soon as possible.

Amy, did you get back from Bartlesville okay?

I'm growing extras for many, too, Melissa--school and friends. I enjoy doing it.

Okay, planting time.

• Rebecca (7a)
    3 months ago

I’ve started some nasturtiums, coleus, and a few tomatoes. Still inside, will move it all out tomorrow. Picking up onion plants in the morning.

• jlhart76
    3 months ago

Busywith wirk and pups. Nothing like being on a call & having to in nterrupt you boss to yell "get out of there, stop eating that!"

First round of potting up finished. Still have a few more to go, but I really need to figureout space. My shelf is full & the garage is a mess, I don't think I have space for another one. So tomorrow I'm going to have to go out & make some more room. My sister mentioned she's running out of space too, so she may be looking to move her seedlings out too.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I mean to start soaking some black eyed susan vine seed tonight for planting when daylight comes. I'm trying my best to say...nope nope, best to wait till closer to warm-season planting outdoors, it's been a cool/cold winter, things are slow, you'll have leggy plants etc.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 months ago

I soaked pepper seeds yesterday, planted them today. I'm still waiting for 6 more to get here from he seed companies. I remembered that I started kale from seed last year; even though we're not supposed to start it indoors, I did it again this year. . . and collards. That was dumb. It's probably going to get too big too fast. And I started 4 kinds of basil, lemon grass, and calendulas. My Dixondale onions came today, but we have to get more soil into their bed so it will be a couple more days. I may plant them here and at Lincoln one of these soon days. And I have lettuce, spinach, and Swiss charge to set out.

I've done really well with my resolve on the tomatoes.

• Larry Peugh
    3 months ago

I got my second Covid shot yesterday. The nurse said that this one would make me feel bad, she was not joking.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I read (don't know validity) that if the 2nd shot makes you ill, you had Covid before your vaccinations?

• Rebecca (7a)
    3 months ago

Anyone home?

Made a trip out to Riddle in Sand Springs to get onion plants. Huge bundles. Had to narrow down, so went with Candy. I remember it being one of Dawn’s favorite. Also got a 6 pack of Lieutenant broccoli at Tractor Supply. Riddle didn’t have them at all.

How do y’all fertilize your onions? I’ll use garden tone at planting, but what else do I need to do? I didn’t get decent size so I figure I didn’t feed enough.

Crocus, hyacinth, and daffodils are up. I fear the zebrinas didn’t make it through the deep freeze.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 months ago

I ordered a double batch of asparagus crowns. And so glad I did. Garry pulled the asparagus I planted last year. I hope he missed some of it. I was so bummed! On the other hand, he got soil into the designated onion bed, so I can get those in tomorrow.

Larry, I'm sorry to hear that. . . ours are scheduled for Mar. 3. Danny, not necessarily, though for those who've had Covid, yes, it can be difficult. But the second shot, in general, can make folks sick. Keep us posted on your "stuff."

Our daffodils got nipped significantly, so I don't know if they'll feel like blooming. And Jen. . . did my green oxalis come from you, or Lisa? It died a grisly death. Will it come up from the roots again?

I ordered Candy for both the school and here, Rebecca. I won't fertilize for a couple weeks--and then every 2-3 weeks. I'm not going to do broccoli, but chased some broccolini seeds down and look forward to trying it.

I have nasturtium, purple hyacinth bean, and ipomoea seeds soaking for planting tomorrow (on the grow cart). It was a busy day. I cut the elderberry bushes back. Probably too late since I saw tiny leaf sprouts. So then I cut those up and will start them.

It occurred to me that maybe Garry didn't get the asparagus roots, so I asked him. He said, "Yeah, and it was REALLY hard to get out!" I asked where he put them, and he took me out and showed me--and it wasn't "THEM," it was only one. But it WAS honking big. He was relieved when I told him he didn't get them all. There were 3 or 4. And he felt even better when we replanted the one he dug up. LOL. All's well that ends well.

• Lynn Dollar
    3 months ago

I still don't have my onions planted. Never been this late. Was waiting for garden to dry out so I could work up an onion bed ...... and then we get this drizzle and fog that won't end.

• Nancy Waggoner
    3 months ago

I THNK I've finally hit the jackpot with my onion planting, Lynn. I ordered from Dixondale for a Mar. 1 delivery and they came today. Garry added the soil, so I'm going to get them in tomorrow. And that will actually be the earliest I've gotten mine in. Looking at the forecast they should get established well. And IF we get hard frosts will be prepared with frost blankets. I'm grateful for our rocky slightly sloping loamy dirt. No clay here. BUT it does dry out really quickly, on the other hand.

• jlhart76
    3 months ago

Not me, Nancy. Must have been Lisa. Whoever it was, I got one too. It's on the south side, under the aqningalong the sidewalk, so I'm hoping it was sheltered enough to survive.

• Larry Peugh
    3 months ago

I started feeling better yesterday and ask Madge if she would like to go out to eat. We went to Ft. Smith. It least 7 miles for us to even get a burger, but we went to Ft. Smith because we would have more choices. We should have stayed home, because nothing taste good. I have read that when you get old your taste buds die, I think all of mine are dead.

My daughter is coming over today, so I guess we will go out again to eat, but we will go to Greenwood, it is half the distance to Ft. Smith, and there is a Mexican place there that my daughter likes.

I have looked for onions to plant, but thought that they cost too much, plus I thought that they were too large. I did not want to pay $4.00 for 40 onions that would bolt on me. I have been unable to find Dixondale onions around here for the past several onions, Bonnie has about all the business around here, and it seems as though our choices on everything are less. The past two years it has been harder to buy tomato and pepper seeds in the larger packs at the co-op. When I have to buy in the smaller packs I have to pay at least 10x as much. I guess that is more reasons for me to save my own seed. I have started doing that, but need to become more organized at it.

The weather looks like we are going to have some nice days, but, it will too wet for me to do anything in the garden. I have potatoes to plant, but don't want to plant them in the mud. I have hay, I may try planting some in hay. I have seen some youtube videos that made it look easy. The hay planting may make it easier to plant in the too wet soil.

• HU-422368488
    3 months ago

Got my onions in the ground.

Next up ... potatoes.

Roll the dice. It's almost March.

HU

• dbarron
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Hey guys, we're over there (March 1st)

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 months ago

It's a blah day. . . Not cold, not hot, but not pleasant, either. Maybe I'll give it a couple hours and then go plant onions and asparagus. I have to whittle the tomato list down a bit. Onions are in, but I'm waiting a couple days for the asparagus. Do you all add fertilizer when planting the asparagus crowns? What kind? I'll have to order some, I guess. I have high hopes for the onions this year! The grow cart is beginning to fill up.

I have sweet potatoes in potting soil so can make my own slips.

Far too many peppers, but there are so many interesting ones, I want to sample some. I am especially interested in tasting:

Hungarian Paprika Spice; Hungarian Round Pimento; Jimmy Nardello's Italian Pepper; Thunder Mountain Longhorn, Ros de Mallorca, Sugar Rush Peach, and the ornamentals Count Dracula and 5-color Chinese. Then a few hot ones (Thai, and a couple REALLY hot ones.)

Because I'll be planting so many peppers, I'm going to really cut back on the tomatoes. But this year, I'm finally organized enough that as soon as I plant a crop of anything, the seeds go into a plastic zip-lock and into the freezer so they can last a long time. . . that means a lot of unused tomato seeds go into the freezer.

I finally have my rolled oats and honey, Melissa, so can get going on a big batch of granola.

Haha, Danny. I've been working on this most of the day. I'm having a hard time staying on task--with ANYTHING today.

Dinner's started--Cajun penne pasta with chicken.

I love salads at restaurants. Not crazy about them at home. But I found these spectacular dressings, and now all of a sudden, I like tossed salads at home. That makes GDW happy, as he loves salad. These are so delicious, I'm going to share them with you all. I knew I had to try them when she said she really didn't like salads that much. I've tried the lemon one and now the blue cheese one. But fully intend to give them all a try. https://wholefully.com/healthy-salad-dressing-recipes/

Have a super good week, everyone. Hope you're okay, Amy. Thinking of you.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 months ago

LOL, Danny.

Sponsored
Update your Door with Affordable, Easy Install Door Glass & Hardware