SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smalloldhouse_gw

Should I paint the bookshelves to match the built-in cabinets?

smalloldhouse_gw
3 years ago

These photos are of either side of what will be our main living and dining space. The architect designed the space for symmetry on each side of the room - a fireplace flanked by bookshelves on the living side and a built-in hutch flanked by bookshelves on the dining space. In the frenzy of picking all the finishes, I selected very pale greige cabinets for the hutch (our adjoining kitchen has a slightly darker greige.) But I'd already had the contractors paint the fireplace-side in BM Simply White, which I'm using for the whole first floor walls and trim.

Now that the hutch cabinets are here and they're building the shelving alongside, I'm not sure what to do.

Keep all the shelving white? Match the hutch color on that side only? Or paint all the shelving and the fireplace to match the hutch?

If it matters, I've ordered a marble mosaic tile for the fireplace surround and the hutch backsplash. I'll use a remnant of Silestone Lagoon for the small counter that's part of the hutch (same as my kitchen counters.)

Comments (7)