SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
warcrypt

Gentek Windows/ Window Universe help!

warcrypt
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I recently started an contract with Window Universe and may be regretting it. On Angie's list they had good reviews, and I felt like I did my homework but because the window industry is so opinionated and unregulated, the information out there is overwhelming. I got about five quotes, and maybe in hindsight I was just mentally tired. The original quote was for Berkshire Elite windows, which several other posts that point to them being Aslide renamed. When the windows showed up, gentek brand was stated (not sure why) and there doesn't seem to be much about the windows in terms of reviews...here are my questions.

Details 37 windows, price 23K, mid Atlantic area.

1. I've read several posts on Berkshire Elites, not being good windows but that's all that's it states. When you read their website, like everyone's website, it seems like a decent window. Why are they actually bad windows, and how is a consumer who is at the mercy of a sale's pitch really supposed to know what is a GOOD window?

2. Is Gentek model 3001 a good window? Is Berkshire Elite good windows? Or at least good for what the price point is? I was quoted nearly 60K for Andersen Windows and thought that was completely ridiculous.

3. I saw the posts about WindowDog dot com being potentially tied to WU, but it all honestly seems subjective. Doesn't every window sales person try to push their own product since there are literally 1000+ window manufactures out there? I get that he appears to be an unbiased sales rep but if there's more light to shed out there, I'd sure like to know it.

4. My paranoia is making me think I should back out but besides them touting the wrong window, I don't know if I have much of a leg to stand on if that was the route I wanted to take.

5. It comes with a lifetime warranty on both the window and labor, so at the very minimum, at least there's that.

6. If there is a better window out there for the close price (I'm sure there is) what is it and why?

7. If I'm stuck where I'm at, should I go with the Gentek or push back for the Berkshire Elite?

Just really looking for the closest to factual information that anyone is able to provide and any advice on the best next steps.

I'm pulling my hair out here...so thanks for any help.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County