SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicoledowner

How do I vamp up this entry way?

nicoledowner
10 years ago
Just recently moved into our new build and I am slowly adding things and trying to create less bare space with style. I like modern clean lines mixed with items of visual interest and character. I just purchased this bench for the hall that I love and am now wondering what I should do with the wall behind and around it? The ceilings are 9ft and I am having trouble figuring out how to decorate properly! ( I realize the current door mat is terrible and would welcome suggestions of what to put there as well!)

Comments (109)

• lake1114
    10 years ago
    I think color would be your best bet to start out. White walls, white doors, white ceiling and white floor makes your entry (or any entry) very sterile and uninviting. Paint the foyer and stairway a warm gray and the entire mood of the entry will change. It will then become much clearer and easier for you to choose a rug and finishing touches. It will also make it easier for you to decide whether the bench works or not. Personally, I think a more substantial piece would work better here. If you need a bench, perhaps something in black with a back on it and maybe wider legs. Then something framed in a satin finished silver for over the bench. Be it a mirror or art work with your turquoise accent color in it. A rug with grays, black and turquoise would be the finishing touch by bringing all the colors together. Good Luck!
  • Related Discussions

Dilemma - what to do with brick entry way?

Q

Comments (0)
    I have a townhome I am trying to get ready to re-rent. I need to cut costs somewhere because I am having to make a lot of repairs, updates, etc. but I want something that resists stains, and generally holds up to tenant abuse. I have been advised that a tight weave Berber would be my best bet for the living room, stairs and bedrooms. And I was planning to use porcelain tile in the breakfast room, laundry, kitchen, bathrooms. I don't want to have to do this again in 2, 3 or 6 years. Am I making the right choices? Now I have a bigger problem as well. This townhouse is about 30 years old. The entry way is red brick, and it butts up against the living room on one side (carpet). I was going to have it torn out and replaced with the tile but every carpet/tile place tells me that will cost me a lot to tear out the brick, depending on whether it is a full brick or half brick and what is under it. Since I don't know the answers to these questions (don't know if there is a way to tell, do you?), I just had a thought (strange as that may be)! I know they stain concrete and paint concrete. Could I do something like that right over the brick?? What would this entail? Its about a 6x6 area. Any experts out there? or "been there, done thats"? [Its not flat. You know, the grout lines (mortar) aren't level with the brick.] Need some answers pretty quick. Have to get this thing on the market PDQ. Thanks.
    ...See More

Need help with a small entry way. Need help with small entry way

Q

Comments (7)
    I don't mind the table and mirror and can't really think of anything besides art that would fit on that wall. Can't see the table details well but could it be painted? How about red to match your lovely door? What would say "fresh and cozy" to you for that space? Have you thought of a new light fixture? A runner and a larger rug in the entrance could look good. I don't find the clock visible from the door to be welcoming so I'd be tempted to remove it.
    ...See More

How do I improve entry way and curb appeal of the front yard?

Q

Comments (10)
    In your introductory statement, you say that you're interested in changing "... the front deck into a more pleasant entry way." Let's compare the existing deck to two concepts. Presently, it seems sized such that it could accommodate 3 or 4 people entering. In my concept I haven't the size of the deck much. I've widened it just a little, mainly to allow for building wider steps ... maybe twice as wide as the current steps. It might accommodate an additional person or two. In your concept drawing, you've changed the deck from merely an entrance, to one sized for family gatherings -- lounging, dining, BBQs, etc. Is that how you intend to use the deck? If it is merely an entrance, it does not make sense to overwhelm the space with a lounging and entertaining deck sized for a family ... unless you are receiving visitors in groups numbering into the teens. First, figure out its purpose and base its size on that. Then work out its configuration. Whether its a wood deck or masonry porch structure doesn't matter to its function, as either can do the job. The materials will have more to do with durability, maintenance and the visual, artistic impression that you are trying to make. In general, I think people value masonry porches as the superior ones, b ut it isn't necessarily always that way.
    ...See More

what to do to “define” entry way?

Q

Comments (10)
    A low bookcase on the side of the dining table, where you can put a bowl for keys, and underneath have bins for shoes and other things if you need it, especially for guests. The bookcase will separate the dining area and create that sense of an entry space. Perhaps change the ceiling light to a small pendant to give the entry a focus.
    ...See More
  • lmb2055
    10 years ago
    Extend the wood floor to the door. The walls could use color. A beautiful chandelier/hanging light fixture of substantial size would be a great presentation and lastly a full length mirror, also of substantial height and weight would be helpful when you are leaving the house for work to make sure you also look great!. For me, a bench is appropriate if it has function, so one with storage would be beneficial. I agree with everyone else about a rug, but only if the floor is uniform.
  • Beverly Swenson
    10 years ago
    Hello! I have helped many people through the years and found using old wrapping paper as templates make it easier to visualize a wallscape. I sugest you tie in the accompaning rooms color scheme into the wall scape. You need to use large bold images or frames on this tall wall. I would use a verticle mirror mounted to on the left side(behind the bench, and then stack two poster size framed photographs on the right side of the mirror. 2-4 inches from the frame. I would then mount 3 unframed pictures on top of the mirror (using velcro.) Leaving mirror to exposed. I would mount the mirror about 20 inches above the bench. I would fold a cashmere throw angled over the bench for color. If this is the most used doo in the house, I would use 2 baskets for shoes (with a lid) under the bench and spray ithem an apropriate color.
    The doors and transom skylight are Traditional in design. Your Bench is Traditional. I think an Eclectic mix of Traditional and contempoary will make this choesive bridge. I love the idea of a bench, mirror and art work. A colection is warmer and more welcoming than single items. I would change the upholstery to a smooth(not button tufted top.) Their are screws underneath the cushion. Remove it and recover it with a bold accent collor.one that is your accent color in the adjoing living room. This will give you the "Pop you are looking for!" Staple gun it to the back by folding in the corners if sending it out to be reupholstered is not in the budget. The rug should cover the majority of the tile.You will be better acknowleding the tile and leaving a small margin surrounding the rug, The rug will be the most important factor in this scheme. Select one that will fit under the door and not bunch up! I would keep the wood finish on the bench and select a bold stripe repeating the rug color or a solid washable ultra-suede (Nylon or polyester.) The Mirror frame should be a nickle or matte silver
    finish. This would tie in the door knobs etc. Painting the walls would be the most dramatic change and I would love to see you do it. You can select family photo's or use favorite landscapes for the pictures. You can change them out if you use poster size prints. If you like the idea of unframed pictures/fabric, use velcro to adhere them to the mirror, You can then change the 3 items with the seasons or just for a different look.
    No mater what, take the time to make the templates, placem on the wall with painters tape, step back and look! Buy the rug first, then the fabric. You could also cover a toss pillow with this bench fabric for the living room.
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    10 years ago
    Thank you Ashlee.
  • PRO
    Dwell Style Interiors
    10 years ago
    Nicole, first I want to say "congratulations on your lovely home!". You have a beautiful entrance hall. You've received lots of helpful, and excellent ideas and advice. Now, I've wondered as an ASP (Accredited Staging Professional) what really practical, yet inspiring and "pop out look" advice to give to you for your entrance. I'm really big on finding bargains and deals!! Shop for the deals! So here is what I recommend as a stager thinking of the long term value of the space that you are working on.
    ~ Save your pennies and replace the floor with continued hard woods to the door entrance. It gives the flow of the entrance a more spacious look and more value to the home -- less choppy - then add a beautiful 4 x 6 Persian rug. Until then, I like the idea (and pic) from Signature's comment. But add a huge round mirror (or 42"-45" sunburst mirror like travisinteriors suggested) instead of the groupings of pics above a narrow table (sofa table idea) with a lamp on one side and something (like greenery) on the other end & that pulls in teal color. Place table there only if it 'fits" and does not crowd the space. Also, I like the comments about a wrought iron hanging chandelier! Light adds warmth!
    ~ Remove piano and place it in another area of the home if possible. Place your bench there for the children to sit on to put on shoes. Place a huge (if wall permits) 'pop out" canvas print above bench (or Signature's idea of grouping of pics). You want guests who enter and whose eye looks toward the wall where the piano was, to go "WOW" because they see a "wow" picture on the wall there! Have a tiny touch of red in it -- Red really adds color, depth and looks great in pictures.
    ~ Paint walls a soothing grey ~ (see Revere Pewder - Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams chips) ~ you want to keep the "flow" of the similar colors that are downstairs so match this. Keep all wood trim white including doors.
    ~ Keep it spacious in the entrance! "Less is more" idea!
    May all of these comments posted be a great help and inspiration to you. Your home is one of your greatest investments so invest wisely! Blessings, Virginia ~ DO-STAGE! ~ 704-575-1007 ~
  • goldylox
    10 years ago
    You said you like modern. KISS - Keep it simple silly! Stick with black/grey/white. The carpets above look great. Put a nice large black and white canvas on the wall, a fun picture of your kids if you like and a wonderful light when you can afford it. With this colour palette you can paint or add your favourite colour when your ready and it will look great with or without it! Check out Canvas on Demand. There are always coupons on their Facebook page.
  • nicoledowner
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Wow! I am so overwhelmed by all the comments and helpful suggestions. Thank you all so much. I have found a rug that I am in love with. It is not black and white though. It doesn't fit right to the edge of the wall but it is the best I could find after a few days of going everywhere in my area! I also brought down the bench that has been sitting at the foot of my bed for the last few years. I realize that colour of the brown bench kind of goes well with the stairs etc. but it's just not as interesting? Is it? With this colour and design in the carpet can I still consider art work? Or should I really stick with the sunburst mirror idea which I also really like? I have attached a picture of a large piece of artwork I found at Pier1 that I love but don't think it will work since I have chosen this carpet!
  • nicoledowner
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Bench comparison
  • nicoledowner
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wall art potential? Before I chose the carpet I fell in love with this. There is actually a lot of texture in the painting as well.
  • redbutterflyinspirations
    10 years ago
    I would maybe be inclined to use the wall art stickers either in a pattern or the worded ones there are some great ones out there, Also maybe to add a splash of colour add a bright rug and maybe some bright vases etc on a white sideboard with ratan baskets in to keep your winter essentials in like hats, gloves scarves etc.
  • nicoledowner
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Still loving the idea of painting the inside of the doors black . I would go grey but my husband is starting to hate grey! All of our new stuff is in grey! When it comes to painting wall I have to - or am told we should wait until after the first year is up (nail pops and things) Also everyone asks me what my style is and honestly - I don't have a clue any more. Since we moved to this new house I have been attracted to a variety of interesting things including formal items that I once would have shuttered at. I really like a variety of styles and interesting objects mixed together. HELP - what is my style? lol. Is there a name for this? It's not really chabby chic - I think I'm to modern for that. I've attached some photos of the rest of the house so far. Maybe someone can help me put a label on it:)
    10 years ago
    Looks fab. I love the greys and blues they look awesome together very modern but relaxing.
  • nicoledowner
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also - about the piano colour - I realize the colour nor the placement of the piano is ideal. I am a piano player/music teacher and have had this piano since I was 8 and started taking lessons. I cannot get rid of it and I wholeheartedly wish I could find another place in the house to put it or could afford to have it stained darker but it's just not in the budget right now! Maybe someone might have a suggestion as to if there are any decor items I could put on the piano to take the focus away from it. That was what I was trying to accomplish with my photo gallery. I was hoping it would draw the eye up.
    10 years ago
    I like the grey bench in the hall way. Why don't you use the rug as the wall hanging like you said and get a big grey shag pile rug it will tie it in with the colour theme.

As for the piano. Would it be possible to sand it down and paint it or stain it in another colour?
  • lake1114
    10 years ago
    I think your style would be transitional/eclectic . Some traditional elements softened by contemporary clean lines and colors. I still think that painting your walls will really help warm up your space. Builders often do recommend waiting a year for a house to settle before painting. I, however, always want things done yesterday so I never wait and really have not had any issues. I say go for it!
    nicoledowner thanked lake1114
  • druesig
    10 years ago
    I like your carpet choice!! For me, the heavy bench is just...too heavy. I like the one with thin legs. Remember, the bench is only for when the kids are small!! You can eliminate it once they no longer have a need to sit for boot/shoe removal!!! You splash of color is perfect but...what about a BIGGER splash..MORE pillows with the color...and since you now have a pattern in your front entry, can you find anything that repeats that pattern-hopefully in your splash color for the pattern on the pillows. I think your style is 'eclectic'. I don't think you can be pigeon-holed into any other term. And I don't see evidence of 'shabby-chic' anywhere nor country nor French modern nor... Just simple eclectic!!! AND...I don't really like the thick black frames over the piano. Doesn't seem to draw my eye to the pictures...just the BLACK!!!! Which then takes me to the piano... (I can't do this but I know it can be done...) Scan your photos and use photoshop to turn them into B/W or even shades of your accent color!!! It would keep my eye looking at the pictures to try and figure out who they were. You have a beautiful home that the family will enjoy!!!
  • jessicamichelleinteriors
    10 years ago
    Blue throw pillows and a mirror and some art work and family photos!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Paint the door a satin finish black. Love the rug. Love bench from bedroom. Either the art or mirror would work I vote for sunburst. How big is art. Remember mirror 45" is size you need. I would call you modern.
  • nicoledowner
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Should I paint the closet door black as well? or can I leave it white?
  • druesig
    10 years ago
    Yes, forgot, the door would look great in satin black or really dark charcoal if hubby doesn't want any more 'grey'. The sunburst over the bench would work very well as you already have pictures over the piano. Does the bedroom bench allow for storage inside??? Would work for kids DRY hats and gloves!!
    nicoledowner thanked druesig
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Don't know what to tell you about piano. Except try to move to another room.
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    I noted that there are many suggestions of what to hang over your bench...what ever you decide, keep in mind that whomever sits on the bench will probably lean back on it if you hang it too low.
    nicoledowner thanked gypsyrose17
  • nicoledowner
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Blossom wall art is 36"w x 48"h.
  • druesig
    10 years ago
    ME...I would leave the closet white. Are the windows in the doors clear or frosted??? I think there are still kits available for 'etching' the glass (for security reasons). I would leave the sunburst over the door clear (sunburst over the door/sunburst for the new mirror...) Frosted/etched and then no one can 'peek in'. Will also diffuse the morning sun (if that is east facing) so there is no direct reflection off the 'new mirror'.
  • PRO
    Wooden Window
    10 years ago
    Have you considered painting the door on the inside a complimentary color? Since doors are the first and last thing you and your guests see, it should mirror the environment you wish to project. However, I would leave the closet door the same color as the wall.
  • nicoledowner
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well again - this might change things. We are having full glass/wrought iron inserts put into the double doors in a week or two. The pattern I have chosen for the wrought Iron is in their new more modern collection and is called Millenia. It has straight lines. I'm not into the really curvy decorative stuff in the front doors - just too much for my style. I've attached an image from the catalogue I have (can't find it on the internet!) It's tricky since you have to imagine just the insert going into my doors and ignore the fancy stone/castle like brick work in the photo! You also have to imagine two full double doors side by side.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Like the look of iron good job. Leave closet door as is.
    nicoledowner thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • druesig
    10 years ago
    I think your inserts will look great with your sunburst, your carpet and the straight lines of the closet doors!! A sunburst mirror will work fine!!! (Leaning toward the bedroom bench with the door inserts...)
    nicoledowner thanked druesig
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    I tend to think your style is eclectic with a modern edge.
  • PRO
    Dwell Style Interiors
    10 years ago
    Super ideas! But I still say MOVE the piano . . . begin looking around the areas of your beautiful home to see where the perfect niche place for the piano is . . . den?, living room?, dining room? cornered in room with back facing out to room and a divider screen to separate it from the other furniture in the room where you place it. . . Doors, walls, need to be neutral contrasting doors and wood trim with white against a warm, neutral wall . . . pop out your colors in paintings and other accessories. Move the black bench to the wall where the piano is . . . don't really need anything at doorway entrance area . . . eye will flow to wall where piano is now . . . so it needs to "pop" there! ~ Virginia ~ DO-STAGE! ~ 704-575-1007
    nicoledowner thanked Dwell Style Interiors
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    10 years ago
    I think that the sunburst mirror will be a nice addition!
    nicoledowner thanked Angelina Vick
  • Ann Parkhurst
    10 years ago
    Forget the rug --kids will keep it messy with snow, dirt, wet.--to coordinate the 2 floor colors, paint the stairway wall and just around the front door wall a soft but colorful robin`s egg blue mixed with a little soft grey. Paint the piano to match. Find a tapered leg tall narrow table to fill the space where the bench is now. It should be the darker wood color. Place a small narrow bench or box under the table for the kids to sit or hide stuff. Do not use a sunburst anything or black frames ! The narrow table should hold a jug-like container for flowers or dried hydrangea or something - and large. Place a table frame or two [pewter or silver] to display photos in black and white. A large square canvas wrap painting for over the table with a design and colors of your choice. Cut a piece of cardboard in different sizes to hold up over the table to determine which size is the best. !! Have fun !!!!!
    nicoledowner thanked Ann Parkhurst
  • nicoledowner
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Opinions on lights? I am drawn to a few that I posted below but not sure if the shape will work given the ceiling height.
  • nicoledowner
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    At this point I think I like the 1st one the most.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Art sounds big enough to work. Hang low.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Also like first light. Go for it. You are almost there. Good job.
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    The first light looks like it will carry the lines of your new door inserts through to the foyer..
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    10 years ago
    Lovely place, Nicole, I especially like large windows in your living room, the room looks so well lit and clean. As others suggested, art can bring more interest to your space. If you are looking for art with modern touch, you can check out our page for ideas. Based on your accent color, several art pieces from one of our ideabooks may work in your space... Raisa
    http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/8111267/thumbs/Blue-Art
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    You have tons of comments, so why I am adding more, who knows? I suggest you start off with a round wool oriental rug with the gray of the bench in it. Check out Home Decorators.
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    Change out your vase of sticks to a large urn (I like metal) for umbrellas, or a small tall table with a bowl or basket for gloves, keys, etc. Use an inexpensive oriental or turkish rug as your entry rug...I would choose a black, teal or red background color with red/teal/black in the design as color pops...I have a 3 x 5 in my kitchen ...some type of nylon blend, looks like wool, I throw it in the washer and dryer....just don't buy one with fringes if you're going to machine wash and dry, they get chewed up pretty fast.
  • PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    Check out our entryway Pinterest Board- we think it will definitely help!

http://pinterest.com/PureHome/for-the-entryway/
  • sellaginella
    10 years ago
    Haven't a clue on lights because I prefer to be in the dark. It is so soothing to my eyes but anyway you got to have lights at least when visitors arrive. But I noticed something when looking for ideas; they are hanging them very low....don't know why. So some ideas on what I do not know anything about......
    nicoledowner thanked sellaginella
  • sellaginella
    10 years ago
    Still groping the dark......some more lights that caught my eye.
  • sellaginella
    10 years ago
    ...do forgive me for being ignorant but I am here to learn too......
    nicoledowner thanked sellaginella
  • PRO
    Dressing the Home
    10 years ago
    The area rug you have chosen is lovely; however, you do not want to cover up your floor register. The new bench is again too deep as it is wider than the space to the right of the door frame. Remember that form follows function ;). As I stated earlier, the rug should be the same width as the door. Also, the piano should be black - sorry. You can simply take it out to the garage or other well ventilated area, rough up the existing finish and spray it glossy black with a can or two of Rustoleum or other spray paint - not expensive. I also believe that the round mirror will not be large enough, especially without other furniture below it - stick with a larger piece. I believe you can go to Kinko's and have an interesting photo (like a cityscape or landscape) blown up to a very large size. (You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink). Just trying to help.
  • PRO
    Light In Art
    10 years ago
    We make Contemporary Stained Glass Lighting and Art and we make fire stones that can be customized and that would look great above your bench. We customize size and color; visit our website at http://www.lightinart.com/ to see some options.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    10 years ago
    Are you doing something with the big window over the doors? It won't look right with the new inserts (which are pretty neat). If you aren't, then at least paint the diagonals to match.
  • Jacki Martin
    10 years ago
    Wow, what an amazing resource all you people are, very generous with your ideas and time. I hope to take advantage of this sort of forum in the future.
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    8 years ago

Paint the front door black (doors only, not the casings) which will compliment the stairs and make the doors more of a contemporary focal point. Hang a large Tall mirror, art or grouping (Think large scale or large grouping) over the bench. Look for an attractive carpet that fills most of the tiled area. Definitely add a ceiling lantern. Skip pots and plants as the space is too small.