SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianna_burkholder

Decision time for home under contract! Advice needed!

Dianna B
3 years ago

We are under contract for a cute little home in Lake Worth, Fl. We have two days left on the inspection period. We would be buying this as a vacation home for now, with the intention of splitting our time between there and here a couple of years down the road. For now, we’d have it on Airbnb to help cover the costs. We can afford the mortgage if worse came to worse and no one ever rented it.

Anyways: the one thing that bothers me about the house is the kitchen. It’s a TINY galley (actually U-shaped, technically, I believe.) 7.5’ wide to be exact. Which leaves approximately 36” between the counter tops. For real.

The living room and dining room are 13’ wide, but for some reason the Florida room encroaches into the kitchen, and eats up over 5 feet of space. The Florida room is a nice, same CBS construction room, and the hip roof full encompasses it alongside the kitchen. It is 17’ long. So, my first thought was, move the wall to run straight back from the dining room wall, and add French doors into the Florida room. Then I came across a Grace Mitchell’s stunning kitchen, and thought, whoa! I could just remove the wall entirely.

But... because this isn’t our primary home, and because money doesn’t grow on trees, I do have a budget. And I fell out of my chair when I got a rough ballpark quote on the wall removal and impact windows. Roughly $20K on the 12’ span wall removal, and roughly $20-30k on impact windows for the 12 openings. (Nothing fancy, like arches or slopes.) We priced removing a chimney and load bearing wall in our old house, and it was $5k for both. Is South Florida just the most expensive renovations ever, or is this actually what we might expect?

Our inspection period is up Thursday, and we are awaiting an inspection report for the electrical since it’s cloth wiring.

Comments (28)