SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
henk_burger

Kitchen lighting question

Henk
3 years ago

We're trying to plan lighting for our new build kitchen. We've made several adjustment to the blueprints in the kitchen but only now started to think about can light placement. In the plans the can lights are placed equidistant from the island and outer counters, which I read is bad (easily 24 inches from the outside counter edge) Even our current kitchen has the can lights about 6 inches behind the counter edge and I find it causes shadows for me (5'11') but luckily not for my wife.

I'm struggling to position them in good spots. Any advice? I'm worried that moving them closer to the counter like I've done will take away light that would have landed on the fridge and wall ovens. Yet putting in a second row will take away some of the effect the pendant lights over the island will have (almost over lighting the island)? The island is 4 feet from the outside counters, and the two outside walls are 150 (cooktop wall) by 205 inches (window/sink wall). We'll have 9 foot ceilings. I'm aware they should be roughly 4.5 feet apart and that the sink one should be centred over it, but this seems to mess up where the others should go.

Anybody with experience, please help! Where would you put the can lights?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida