SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_207734965

Going to meet Kitchen Designer/Cabinets next week. Where do I start?

Moira L
3 years ago

The plans for our renovation include a total gut of the kitchen as well as removing walls from our boxy 1970's Colonial home. We've done all the plans with the architect regarding removing load bearing walls, beams, etc and now have a rough plan for the kitchen (see below). Our builder suggested a kitchen designer he works with to discuss cabinets. I'm excited but a little apprehensive because I don't even know where to start.

What are the most important things to consider? I have some ideas - I want more drawers than cabinets, pantry will be 36 inch with pull out drawers. I think the island will have mostly drawers on the sink facing side but we had him make it big enough for some narrower cabinets on the dining room side (where the chairs go). I'm thinking we can store our china and such there since we are losing our china cabinet. I have no idea how to handle the corner. I hate my corner now as it is really wasted space.

Also, the side of the breakfast nook (to the right as you look at the plans) will also be cabinets and counter top. I'm thinking of that as a kind of bar/serving area. We opted not to do a sink, but I do plan to put a wine refrigerator there. I'm thinking I can store barware on top, perhaps store some liquor bottles beneath.

Any advice would be appreciated. This is totally new to us and I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Comments (9)