SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonniebrownhair

Vanity of vanities! All is vanity! (Need vanity help for half bath)

bonniebrownhair
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi! I'm planning a full remodel of my fairly narrow half bath. It's 40" wide (measured along the countertop of the current built-in vanity) and 95" long (measured from mirror wall to window wall). The room actually feels reasonably spacious as-is -- not cramped at all -- but I'm afraid of making changes that will make it feel uncomfortably narrow or awkward.

That being said, I'd definitely like to make some changes to make this room more interesting and fun! My vision is to do a marble mosaic floor, a free-standing vanity with legs, a cute framed mirror, white wainscoting, and a light floral wallpaper above the wainscoting.

Vanity-related questions:

1. Would putting in a more open-looking vanity (where you can see some of the floor) make this room appear longer and narrower (since it would show more of the floor's length)?

2. How wide should a freestanding vanity be, given that the walls are 40" apart? Could we use a 36" vanity (with 2" of clearance on each side)? Or would a 30" vanity (with 5" of clearance) be better? I do think the current long horizontal line of the 40" countertop helps to make the space feel wider. Would a narrow vanity actually make the space feel narrower/smaller?

Bonus non-vanity questions:

1. Will wainscoting make the room feel small and cramped?

2. I know large frameless mirrors are supposed to help create the feeling of more space. Am I making a mistake if I replace the large frames mirror with a smaller framed mirror?

Here are photos of current bathroom. I've also added a couple of my inspiration pics, but notice they have a different layout than my bathroom -- they're much more square.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (5)