SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_606790688

How would you make a kitchen, dinning, and living room out of this?

Jackie Peterson
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My husband and I are about to be first time home owners, and we are super excited. We love a lot about our new house, BUT… the layout is not ideal. My issue is with the central common areas of the home. The home is 1230 sq ft, which is plenty for us, but it's not arranged very well. I would like a more open style kitchen/dinning room/living room. Right now there really isn’t a dining area and the kitten layout is odd and a bit closed off. There is a largish utility closet in the center of the house where the gas furnace and gas water heater are located which is really messing up the flow of the space, but also probably very expensive to move. We don't need 3 bedrooms so I have thought about using one of the bedrooms in some other way. I also don't need nearly so big a home office, so that could be repurposed. However, that room is far from the kitchen and only accessible from the outside of the house or though the master bedroom, so not great for a dinning room or living room. Any suggestions about the most cost effect way to rework the layout so that we have a kitchen and a dinning room and a living room would be greatly appreciated. As open a layout as possible would be preferred, and I would love a kitchen island too! I want to be able to seat at least 4 preferably 6 people for dinner and movie watching. Thanks for your consideration. PS We live in Seattle, and would like to keep the budget under $50,000.

Better Floor Plan below (sorry it wont let me delete the old one I posted above)

Comments (13)