SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tulevskc

What can I do with this North Facing empty lot (on cul-de-sac)?

kathleen
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We have a STEEP Hill (owned by the State of Ohio) behind a somewhat flat lot on cul-de-sac. Faces North and 1 mile from Lake Erie in Cleveland Ohio area. We have LARGE Black Locust trees (three) , and a couple of small red bud (sort of straggly). We planted Canadian Hemlocks between the slope and the Black Locust at the base of the hill. They are almost dead. We planted Rhododendrons.....they died. We planted Holly's (no luck...had to move them)....so I was thinking there is something under the soil that is preventing small shrubs from growing and MAYBE the North Wind is too much for Hemlocks. I simply do not know....(I used a local garden center to purchase and plant the Hemlocks (because they were big) and they never mentioned anything except they are possibly dying from the roots of the large trees. I did see a photo on house from Ohio that looked nice with lots of Arborvitae but I am not sure if I would have ANY success.

Where do I start to clean up this mess and make it look nice? Any ideas? I would be open to incorporating a really pretty cedar she (I have only a narrow flat area in my backyard with Large precast retaining wall because of the hill)

or maybe a private entertainment area....but since it is facing the street I really need to be careful with the curb appeal and privacy (if it applies) The second photo is State of Ohio land on the other side of the property (west end ...the fence is the neighbors) The State would probably let me use it if I had to (since I clean THE STATE's HILL every year...they OWE me!)

Comments (15)