SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_h77

Need help to design my 13' x 13' closet. Suggestions, please?

Nancy H
3 years ago

We are in the design phase of a new build, and I am struggling with how to maximize the space in what I think is a nice-sized walk-in closet of roughly 13' x 13'.

We really do not need a closet this big (I am sure it is not big by some standards), but there's not a way to make either of the two adjoining rooms larger by taking space away from the closet, so I would like to make it a nice space that fulfills our needs.

My husband has many suits and shoes, but works from home, and times have changed, so he doesn't really need a lot of space for them (plus he's semi-retired).

I'm planning to retire in the next few years, and no longer have a job where I have to dress up, so I don't really need a lot of space for "professional" clothing either.

What I'd REALLY like to have is drawer storage for jewelry and scarves - maybe in an island. I like the idea of using open floor space for one of those. I could really use one where we are now, but the closet is smaller.

Some sweater shelves, shoe storage for maybe 40 pairs, and handbag shelves/storage for around 20 handbags.

I ride horses and have around 10-15 pairs of boots, so I need somewhere to put them also.

My husband needs shoe space, a creative way to keep ties organized, some hanging space, shelves for shirts and sweaters.

Neither one of us needs hanging space as much as we once did.

Built in drawers for underthings, sock, sleepwear, t-shirts/shirts...lots of drawer space would be good. We have a built in 8 drawer dresser and had to buy another, so drawer space would be good, along with lots of shelves.

A seat, if possible, but I can always buy something for in there.

The door in and the window can't be moved.

The ceilings are 10.'

I'm attaching two suggestions my plan person did, but it's just way too much hanging space - which we don't really need all that much of, and I feel like that space has the potential to be so much better. (I like the first one better, which he provided after I mentioned the island idea.)

I would also like for it to be pretty - with maybe a few glass-front areas.

I would really appreciate some ideas, and photos would be awesome - thanks so much!

Comments (10)