SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dencarson

Need help with Ceiling Color with 2 different ceiling heights

dencarson
3 years ago

I have an open concept living room\ dining room space. The LR has a cathedral ceiling and the DR has a slope ceiling. The highest point in both rooms are on opposite different sides. I attached photos.

My current LR walls are BM HC-118 Sherwood Green, my ceiling is HC-6 Windham cream.

IMy floors are stained Red Chestnut. I have had this look for about 15 years. It gave the den a cozy warm feel and people always complimented the room.

BUT, I need a change now. Want a fresh look, but still warm.

Since I need to repaint both rooms, I am leaning toward BM Edgecomb Gray with BM White Dove trim\moldings. I have been reading past suggestions for ceiling paint color and am leaning toward White Dove on both LR and DR ceilings.

I looked at inspiration photos on Houzz with similar color profiles and like to use turquoise as my accent color in both rooms. (pillows, splashes in area rug, cushions on chairs) I think that would go well with my yellow\gold couch. I am getting a new DR table and chairs, not yet purchased.
I am concerned with these new color combinations and the large surface area of White Dove on both ceilings will make my room look too cold.

I am not used to these combinations but do like what I see in inspiration photos.
I still want the rooms to feel warm and inviting.

Do you think I should go w different color profiles?
Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!!

Comments (58)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I actually went w/Light pewter. In my kitchen area. I have a lot of black/white/gray and natural wood and some walnut. the light pewter looks great w/all those colors

I have very little wall space in here. just the coffee bar area and back in the back area.

Simply white is on all the trim. It's a very light, warmer gray. I tried pale Oak, but it didn't work for me.

Eggecomb has a bit more taupe/beige than what I wanted.

have you looked at BM Sea Salt?

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m actually using sea salt in my bathrooms. Heard that color can lean blue, so don’t want that in these 2 rooms, I rather lean green which I read edgecomb does in certain light. Thank you for the alternative color choices! I’ll take a look.

• Related Discussions

2 windows, different ceiling distance- how to handle

Q

Comments (5)
    That's a pretty room. Inside mount shades would be enough - they would give you a crisp, clean look. The post and beam construction is a focal point of the room, so using drapes to dress up the room isn't necessary. And I know you didn't ask, but have you thought about pulling the furniture away from the wall, placing the front legs of the furniture on the area rug?
    ...See More

Ceiling Color for "Different" Ceilings

Q

Comments (3)
    Ah! Another Van Courtland Blue fan! In the dining room, I'd paint keep the trim white, paint the ceiling the wall color only 50% lighter, and I'd paint the "Wedding cake" a rich crimson, like Sherwin Williams Crimson Red. I think it would be elegant with the light form the chandelier reflecting off of it. If the person you wish to express gratitude to has their email available on their profile page, you can email him or her directly. If not, you can either find them on another thread and then pop in and thank them, or sure, just start one to thank them. This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 20:10
    ...See More

Different window and door heights for 10ft ceiling

Q

Comments (21)
    Depending on your choice of trim, the windows/doors might end up different heights regardless. I was thinking about this thread a bit earlier while we were at our build and then looking at some other houses in construction. As I mentioned upthread, we have 10/8 and 9/6'8 ceiling door combinations on the 1st and 2nd. Our HOA doesn't allow for 10' on the 2nd floor :( Part of the difference in the feel is exaggerated by the stairs going upstairs being in the great room which has a 22' vaulted ceiling. Going up the stairs immediately there are 2 doors which feel low. To try and combat that, we added crown to the family room there to try and draw eyes away from the door frames. Will report back if that works! Keep in mind too that the width of the doors can also affect the perceived spatial characteristics. A neighbor has the same issue with transition, but on their 2nd floor they have a 5 foot cased opening with 6'8 doorway. I know it's a 9 foot ceiling but walking through it after the 10/8 below felt like one of the seven dwarves reporting for work at the mine. A mix of heights isn't terribly bad. Our basement has 9.5 and a mix of 8 and 6'8 depending if it's finished/unfinished areas. In large open spaces the 6'8 seems fine, the 8 is nice to define bedroom/office area.
    ...See More

Do I need a different wall color-not painting ceiling

Q

Comments (3)
    The white up there looks very pink on my monitor, and no, I dont like it with your ceiling. Do you know what the color white is thats on your ceiling? I assume that is flat, I would try to match that, and then use matte, or eggshell sheen on the walls.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

which sea salt? SW has one that's more green. BM sea salt is pictured above. it more of a greige tone

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ooh, I was referring to SW sea salt, I’ll check out BM sea salt. Thanks!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

don't know how BM color namers came up w/sea salt for this color. they must have been at the end of a long day and said, "aw screw it. looks like sea salt to me. lets go"

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Marylee. And I didn’t realize the phots you attached can be searched, I found the colors. Thanks!

• horzz
    3 years ago

I have Simply White on my walls, ceiling and trim in my living room, and I love it.

There is a blog, Young House Love, and in one of their homes they used Edgecomb gray with white trim, and it is truly lovely. As for the ceiling color, I would go with what the professionals advise. Please post pics when done. Good luck!

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for your comment! I have actually moved away from Edgecomb Gray. I have lived w multiple gray wall samples for a week now and don’t like the way it is looking in my room. Instead of the grays, I am looking at Manchester Tan w the white ceiling. I just got the paint sample today and will put on my walls tomorrow. We’ll see how that goes...:)

• lwfromny
    3 years ago

Be sure to put your paint samples down near the floor as well. Ideally with a strip of whatever you will be using for your trim. Your new floors will be beautiful but they have a definite red tone which it is very important to consider.

• Rachel Lee
    3 years ago

I used SW Cloud White on walls and ceiling in bedrooms, hallway and staircase with odd angles.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I live in the Northeast, the rooms are facing north. Yes, the floors have a red chestnut finish. I did consider having them apply a new stain after they sand, but the rest of my house is the same red chestnut color and thought it would not look right to break it up. Stripping and straining rest of house is also not in budget/plan. I am also stripping staining the windows, stair railing and post. There is also a wood door in the den, all in the honey oak finish. I was going to use a more brown wood stain that is different from the floor to pull away from the red. You think that would work?

For ceiling and window trim I am going to look at the Simply White and White Dove w the Manchester since I already have those paint samples at home.
    We’re expecting snow storm today so I’ll be home all day to see how the color is all throughout the day. Lol
    I’m now trying to stick w BM colors as that is what my painter uses. He said he could color match if needed but I’m nervous color will be slightly off.
    Wish me luck today that color is good! I’m tired of buying these paint samples!

• HU-966718201
    3 years ago

I have used BM Edgecome Grey @50% in most of my house with high gloss white trim from Behr. It does not read grey even in my areas without natural light. It’s calming and neutral. Another newer neutral color I’ve used with great joy is BM Silver Satin, also with white trim.

• Lynn G
    3 years ago

When I did a reno in NJ, 1 bedroom condo, I wanted bright white on my walls and cabinets. I used Ben Moore's "Chantilly Lace". I never regretted or tired of it, and used it again when I moved to a house. It's a bright white, without being too "blue" or too "yellow". There's still some warmth, without being dull/dirty looking. I'd never question using it again.

• golfer32
    3 years ago

Hmmm, not sure you're going to like Manchester Tan in that room, especially with the gold couch. I also live in the Northeast (it's snowing like crazy right now!) and our family room is on the north side of the house so I know the room doesn't get bright light. You have a lot of elements to contend with - nothern exposure, reddish floors, and the fireplace, which I have not seen taken into consideration in previous posts. I'm going to go in a different direction than the rest - either stick with a warm white on the walls and ceiling and let all the other elements do the talking, or go with somerthing a little darker, like BM Metropolitan (AF690) with Decorator White trim (OC-149) to add warmth and ground the room. Your gold couch will play nicely off of the Metropolitan, and teal accents, which you mentioned at the outset that you like, can also be used. Good luck! Choosing paint is not easy. Don't get frustrated and go with "whatever" just to be done with it bec you will walk into that room every day wishing it were different...

• aniluap2
    3 years ago

You have to look at color in your own space. Everybody has different light exposures in their rooms. We have moved several times and the colors I used in one house looked totally different in another, depending on light. Choose a grey that you like then go one shade lighter. The walls reflect off each other and the finished room will always appear a bit darker. Depending on your light white dove on your trim, may took softer than a stark white, but in some exposures, the yellow or gray tints may be pulled out. If you like it in your room go with it. Don’t overthink the ceiling it will always look a bit darker because of the angle. Ceiling white is a great choice for most rooms unless you want to use a contrasting color. If you paint the walls and ceilings the same color it makes the room more expansive since there are no boundary lines between the walls to limit the line of sight. It all depends on the look you want.
    In the end go with your gut. I used to be a color consultant and I have found that a person’s first instinct is generally their visceral attraction to something and usually what they,Ike the best.

• HU-770706726
    3 years ago

hi I need advice for a 46 year old home The walls have prime paneling on them the fireplace is an ugly gray cement looking brick the ceiling is vaulted ugly white delight do I print everything one color how do I paint the fireplace different the ceiling difference in the walls red different

• horzz
    3 years ago

All the previous comments about having the same paint color look very different in different houses, or different even in the same house in different rooms are really valid. Having repainted my own dining room three times because the color wasn’t quite right. I would definitely take your time finding the right color that works well with your flooring, furniture and other elements in the room. It might be a pain to keep getting different paint samples, and you might feel pressured to make a choice, but you will never regret making sure the color works before you make the big investment of hiring someone to paint.

After my dining room fail, when I decided to paint my kitchen, I hired a color consultant to help me pick out paint. I ultimately picked a slightly different color than she recommended, but her expertise was invaluable because she came up with a color story for the whole house that made all the rooms flow together, and took into account the lighting, flooring and style I was going for, it was really helpful.

• acm
    3 years ago

I suggest painting over the green with primer, so that you can trust your samples more.

Also, with a lot of elevations and angles, I prefer the same color on walls and ceiling. It keeps things from breaking up, lets the angles provide interest via the changes in light.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

I don't think gray will work well with your furniture or floors. In addition to the warm white that you choose for some of the spaces, you might consider a color like SW Liveable Green for some of the walls. It's a very soft grayed green.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3 years ago

You said you wanted warm, so moving away from gray is a good move. Especially since your rooms are north-facing.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just came home, had to run out in this snow storm to help my mother, and just got home. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Right before I left I was able to paint some swatches on the walls. I’ll send pics shortly for opinions.
    @Calidesign -thank you for the green suggestions. I was trying to find a lighter shade of green that is currently on the walls. I will check out liveable green
    @acm - I am getting braver into considering all white. I found a couple inspiration rooms that I liked. Just not sure how that would look w my kitchen which is right off the new DR.
    @horzz- hiring a colorist may be the way to go for me as I am struggling w decision.
    @golfer32 - thank you fir the additional color recs. I will pull the colors and give it a go in addition to finding a warm white. There are so many to choose from. Chantilly lace was recommended to me before.

I have to read thru again to jot down the warm whites.
    Thanks!!

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Left is the Manchester Tan. Below Tan is simply white. 2 on right are edgecomb and revere, which are definitely out. Photo w fireplace has the Tan on top. Bottom are the grays.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is an inspiration room from Houzz I liked at has Cloud White on walls. The couches in photo and floors are lighter then mine so comparison is not exactly apples to apples.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is the Tan and simply white on sheet rock. I painted on paper bc my husband didn’t want me to paint the sheet rock before priming. It looks a lot darker in this photo then the way I see it

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My inspiration w Manchester Tan...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Your inspiration picture has a lot more light coming in from multiple directions.

In your room, it may look more like this:

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Beth, yes much better pic for comparison!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

If you like that Inspo pic, have you tried Light Pewter or Nimbus? I know I mentioned them above, but didn't know if you got a sample.

or what about this one?

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is my kitchen colors off the DR...creamy cabs and black specked granite. I have other black accents (ironwork) in some furniture that will be in the den.

• hu818472722
    3 years ago

I'm a big fan of cloud white as well. We did ceiling white on the ceilings but if I would do it again I would put this on the ceiling as well. Looks good in darker areas as well as lighter, just a warm soft white. We removed a beam similar to yours and enjoy the simpler profile of the vault. We put in two skylights on one side of the vault that helped bring more light in. Instead of going darker brown tone with your trim, I would go with a stain in your floor tones but a few shades lighter. Good luck with your remodel.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Beth- no I didn’t get the light pewter or Nimbus as I decided to eliminate the gray tones after I lived w the few Samples put on my walls. I decided to look in a different direction. But I do appreciate your suggestions.
    What is strange is the photo you attached w the Collingwood is the same as my inspiration that told me it was Manchester Tan!

• golfer32
    3 years ago

@BethH - Collingwood is a beautiful color, and the picture you showed appears to have reddish floors. Looking at Ben Moore web site, guess what color they use for the trim with Collingwood - SImply White! @dencarson - the more colors I see the less I like them. Something whitish/neutral (like Collingwood) may be the way to go. As for your kitchen, the rooms are separate so you could do a complimentary color, also a whitish/neutral. Probably not what you want to hear - choosing one color is hard enough let along two! :-)

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@beth h - I found Collingwood in my sample. Looks dark in the sample, but I will check out the color profile. Thank you!

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ve been doing some research on whites that might look good w colors in my room (floors, couch, FP) and have narrowed down to:

1. Swiss Coffee OC-45
    2. Navaho White OC-95
    3. Ballet White- not sure this would work, but recommended in blogs
    4. Cloud white - inspiration photo
    5. Chantilly Lace OC-65 has green undertone rather then yellow so I’m curious and also recommended

Off to buy more samples tomorrow!
    Will also ask them how to find a BM colorist I can consult with.

Thanks everyone for your help today!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Ballet White is quite a bit darker than the others. some say it has a reddish/pink tone.

she actually covers a few of the whites you're considering:

https://studio-mcgee.com/the-best-white-paint-colors-for-every-home/

You can se the diff along side Simply White. What you could do is the walls in Ballet, and the trim in Simply.

BM Swiss Coffee is really nice for a wall color. pair it w/something like Simply White

looks great w/the warmer wood tones too.

BTW, I saw a picture for Behr Sculptor Clay, and thought it also looked like your inspo pic

depending on the light, it could be similar to manchester tan, but not quite as dark.

• lwfromny
    3 years ago

To me the Manchester Tan looks pink/peach, especially in the photo with the cabinet. Have you tried November Rain on the walls? I saw it was on your sample board. It has a green undertone that I think could work for you. However it can differ quite a bit from one wall to another. If you decide to put a sample up, don’t paint it right on the wall unless you have primed VERY well. In my experience a good coat of primer is critical in order for November Rain to look it’s best.

• Helen Leo
    3 years ago

I also agree with most of the comments. I would use one color all around for walls and ceilings. It is a lot easier while painting. In my own home I recently used Sherwin-Williams Westhighland White in satin finish. I used SW Pure White for moldings and doors and it looks fantastic, Good luck!

• mbartley56
    3 years ago

I have Manchester Tan in my great room and love it! Doesn't come off as pink or peach. My wood floors are med brown, no red in them.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Manchester Tan is fairly dark. I think Swiss Coffee would work well in your room. Possibly Ballet White depending on your light. With any wall color, I would use a brighter white on the ceilings for contrast.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone once again for your suggestions. I have decided to go with a warm white on the walls. I got a Swiss Coffee sample.
    I painted 3 coats on a pice of sheet rock. I also paired it with Simply white as a potential trim color for windows and ceiling.

I was excited to get pictures up. So the following are pictures of the samples in the evening. I will post daytime photos tomorrow.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok- it’s a hazy morning, looks like snow again.
    These are pics from this morning. Hoping for a little sun later.
    Thanks again!

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just noticed I took a picture next to that red rock. Here’s another zoomed out a bit on mantle.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I like it.

Studio McGee used it at 75%

"We also used it on the walls of the McGee home at 75% strength, because it was showing just a little too yellow when they tested it. It worked perfectly for the home!"

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. This is the first one I like. I did see the yellow when I first walked into the room this morning, but rest of day, I guess when lighting changed, it looked fine to me. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, so I’ll see what it looks like.
    Now back to my original question, should I follow this up onto ceiling or use the Simply White on ceiling? I’m leaning towards using the Simply White on ceiling.
    Thanks for your help!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Simply white, or just the basic ceiling white paint. (it's sold just like that, Ceiling paint)

• kristeneff
    3 years ago

I just did most of my house in Dunn Edwards Swiss Coffee. I think that's the brand studio McGee used in her photo above? It's so popular at Dunn Edwards that they have cans on the shelf that are pre-mixed and ready to go. Anyhow. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Swiss Coffee. I seriously sampled 10 whites on posterboard and ordered a around 15 of the most popular warm whites on those pre-painted Samplize swatches that have sticky on the back. That service is awesome. Swiss Coffee is a perfect warm white that isn't too yellow or pink or green in low light. We did ceilings and walls all the same color to speed up the process (NO EDGEWORK at the ceiling!!) and it looks great! Once we get baseboards in I think I'll just do a semigloss in the same color.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your msg @kristeneff it’s great hearing good results using this color. I am using BM Swiss Coffee eggshell finish w BM Simply White in semi gloss for molding and ceiling.
    I’ll be painting it in my mudroom tomorrow which gets same lighting as den. This will be my “test room”. I actually tested so many sample cans that I got $50 off my purchase of the gallon at my local dealer!

• kristeneff
    3 years ago

I'm glad they gave you a discount! Shades of white are so difficult! Wait, ceiling isn't semi-gloss, right? You're going to want a flat finish for the ceiling. I used Matte finish on my lightly textured walls and I like it. The eggshell will highlight any texture, so make sure you're comfortable with that. I just got done painting a ceiling today and man, is my neck sore. Ceilings are the worst.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, sorry- flat on ceiling! I just had my den and dr professionally spackled and polished so hopefully eggshell will be ok on walls. I’ll see how it looks in Mudroom before deciding finish. Thanks for your post!