SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20091243

What do you know about termites?

User
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I could use some expert advice.

We are currently searching for our next forever home. We are within a few years of retirement and are looking for a smaller ranch home with 7 or 8 criteria on the wish list. The geographic location I want to be in is small, and houses sell quickly often with a bidding war. For context, we have been looking for something for about 2 years and in this time several homes came close but weren’t “the one” for various reasons. We are in no real hurry to find something and I would rather wait than chose poorly.

The perfect one may have just hit the market. It literally ticks all the boxes. It needs some cosmetic updating but I don’t mind that at all as I’d rather pay to remodel to my own tastes anyway. Location is perfect, size is perfect, I love the layout and I love the neighborhood.

So what is the problem?

Termites!!

I live in New York and we just don’t have a problem with termites here. It’s too cold to support comfortable human habitation here, and the insecty little buggers are apparently smarter than we are and prefer warmer climates. Ha. So I literally no nothing about termites or termite damage.

The location of the new house is a few states away, obviously much father south than NY. I looked up some information online and apparently the new destination is a termite hot spot. (Good to know!)

A reputable pest control company has been out and treated for the termites. (I was told there were “a lot” of termites found in the ground.) The termite damage is allegedly contained to the wall underneath one window. All the drywall is ripped off that wall and the damage is obvious. We have been told by the sellers that there is no floor joist involvement and no other signs of termites are found elsewhere in the house.

You don’t know what you don’t know – and I don’t know squat about termites. So I can’t decide if this is a big deal or not.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? What questions should I be asking? What trades or contractors do I need to look at the house to ensure the full scope of the damage has been found?

Comments (16)