SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
damask_rose_zone9b

Anybody feel the same way?

Hello, I have a garden cat who we named Marmalade. He used to be feral, but after 3 years he has finally allowed us to pet him. We are working on getting him to become comfortable staying inside the house. Our neighbors a couple houses down have two cats. One of them showed up in our backyard one day while Marmalade was sleeping in the front, so we petted him and gave him a few minutes of attention and then he made his way back to his house a little while after. He came again a couple days later while Marmalade was in the backyard, and as soon as he saw Marmalade he went to chase him. Marmalade is a very docile cat so he puffed up and ran away to the front yard. I ran after Marmalade to protect him from the other cat and sat with him in the front yard to make sure he was okay, while my sister shooed the other cat away. The other cat came back, but every time I saw him on our backyard fence I waved my hands in the air and shooed him away. After a few times, he stopped coming to our backyard. Recently, the same neighbors got another smaller cat, and he came to our backyard as well. He seemed very young and gentle so we gave him attention, but when Marmalade came to the backyard, once again the cat started to chase him. We protected Marmalade and shooed away the other cat. He was on our backyard fence today, and I had to shoo him away again. I hate it so much, having to shoo away cats. I love all cats, and I hate to see them be afraid of me. But if I do not shoo them away, they will get into a fight with Marmalade and they might hurt him, and they might be hurt as well. Also, they have a home to go to, but if they chase Marmalade away, he does not have a home to go to, this is his home, and I want him to feel safe. Has anybody been faced with a similar situation? Do you feel the same way? Am I doing the right thing? I feel so guilty and miserable right now. I want to keep Marmalade safe, but I wish I didn’t have to shoo the other cats away. I just really wish they could all get along. I’m so sorry for the long post. Thank you for taking the time to read through this. Any advice or commentary is greatly appreciated.

Comments (19)