SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doreycrouse

New washer coming soon

doreycrouse
3 years ago

Unfortunately our 11 year old Whirlpool Duet has finally bit the dust. The bearings are starting to howl. I went ahead and ordered one of the last remaining LG built Kenmore FL. It is the 41982 5.2 cu. ft. machine. I will really put my foot where my mouth is and buy one of the machines I have recommended for years! More to come!!

Comments (53)

• PeaceOfHome
    3 years ago

Do you have a model number? We're now looking for a washer too. Our Kenmore Elite HE 31 is done. It just won't start. I was paying for service protection for over 13 years; what a waste. The young repair person, after finding the hidden manual, said it needs a new center control unit but doesn't know the part number. I have little faith in the service repair person.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

@PeaceOfHome, part numbers can be found at SearsPartsDirect.com via search of the machine's full model number from the model/serial tag affixed at the loading port, visible when the door is open. The item can be searched at other online parts sources after identifying the part number. If the item is NLA, there are services that repair appliance boards (although all services don't handle all the various boards).

Used or repaired boards can also be found on eBay, although a given item may not be be listed at a given moment if no sellers are offering it. I recently bought an NLA board on eBay for a 14yo Whirlpool Duet dryer.

• Related Discussions

For you Cabinet Coat fans: new product coming soon from Insl-x

Q

Comments (7)
    Something interesting I discussed with the Miami store was the possibility of mixing the CC colors. None of those pastels appeals to me, right out of the can. But, I thought about using the gray to knock the blue or green down a bit. He said it was doable. I still don't think I will paint my cabs though. They're such crummy quality, it hardly seems worth the effort. Maybe I should think about eventual re-sale. Or just do the bathroom vanity for fun and to get that leveling experience. Geez, I can't believe I paint for entertainment!
    ...See More

New liner coming soon.....should I change bulb/light fixture.

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks. Do you know how long the light fixtures usually last? I'm assuming this one is 16 years old, thought it would be cost effective to replace now vs when water in our pool.
    ...See More

New Kazuo Ishiguro book coming out soon!

Q

Comments (5)
    Martin, I must have missed the 'religious romance' or any other 'romance' in 'Remains of the Day' . .. not feeling that romance and love are quite the same thing . . . but it was one of the very few works that I felt did better as a film rather than a book. A few mixed reviews already about 'The Buried Giant' and an interesting interview with KI below. BBC Interview with Kazou Ishiguro I
    ...See More

New Miele Washers/Dryers coming

Q

Comments (492)
    Armjim, I have three Mieles that accept laundry loads from 5kg to 6.5kg, similar to the current W3038. The W1 and T1 are larger than my current machine. I wash on a weekly basis three king sized sheets with pillow cases in my unit. My king sized flat sheets are 110"x120" on average (I don't use fitted sheets). These are mainly cotton sheets. I wash my linen sheets separately but I put two in the machine at one time and there is tons of room to spare. Spinning at 1200rpms has never been a problem. My older machines go up to 1400rpms. For towels, I wash my large towels in my machines. I usually have two body sheets which are 900gsm turkish cotton and they are 36"x72" wide and about 25 face towels in one load. I wash my kitchen towels separately from body towels. I have never had an issue with the machine not balancing or not cleaning my clothes. There is still space left in the towel load but each family member does their own load of towels in their time. I use two towels a week and wash them in this frequency. Some others in the household wash weekly and stuff the machines to the gills. I have washed 9 pairs of denim jeans in one load with no problem. I wash weekly and sort by function and color. Because of this, my normal weekly loads are smaller. I don't use bath rugs but do you a towel based bath mat and these are washed with the towels or separately depending on me remembering to grab them from the bathroom when I sweep for dirty items. I don't use comforters but use Duvets and Duvet covers instead. The Duvet covers are in sent to the cleaners twice a year because they are down and it is not easy to clean them correctly at home. I wash my duvet covers every week like a load of sheets. They act like two sheets in the washer. I also used cotton blankets and wash king sized cotton blankets in the washer on a monthly basis. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • doreycrouse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If you are looking for a model number for my machines, the old washer was WFW9750WW01; and the new washer is 41982.

• PeaceOfHome
    3 years ago

SInce the washer is over 15 years old instead of repairing I'm just going to buy a new one. I was asking about the model number of the LG washer that doreycrouse is getting. I'm thinking the LG 4300 are the best to buy right now? Also does anyone know if Lowes has better prices than Costco? I'm not a Costco member so I can't see prices.

• doreycrouse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Costco is always the way to go when buying appliances. I have not had the best luck elsewhere.

I am actually getting a Kenmore Elite branded machine. It is model 41982. It is built by LG though.

• PeaceOfHome
    3 years ago

Does anyone have information on Speed Queen washing machines? I hear that's what laundromats use.

• doreycrouse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I looked into buying a Speed Queen, however I find that these machines are just not as flexible as far as cycles and options go. I would really like one if they had ATC and a water heater to boost hot water temperatures.

With that being said, though, they are great machines and are known for their near bulletproof reliability.

• PeaceOfHome
    3 years ago

I went agains the Speed Queen too because it seems they're really for someone with heavily soiled clothes - which doesn't fit us. I almost went with the LG but someone said repairing them is a nightmare. I just purchased online a second ago an Electrolux EFLS627. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I didn't purchase the pedastal because I currently have a pedastal of the same dimension but it's a Kenmore pedastal. DO you think I can use this pedastal?

• doreycrouse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Despite the snow and having my second COVID vaccine, our new Kenmore is installed.

First load was darks. Normal cycle, cold water, light soil, extra rinse, turbowash off, and Auto Soak on. Estimated time? 2:05. Yikes. Water temp was 29ºC as well. Load was clean and fresh.

Second load was colors. Normal cycle, warm water, light soil, Auto Soak. No turbowash. 1:35. Much better. Water temp was 33ºC. Not bad.

Third load was dress clothes I wear in office. Normal cycle, extra hot, light soil, turbowash on. 1:05. Machine filled with water temp of 35ºC. I was not able to see what it heated up to.

I will say, I am actually impressed with the amount of water it uses. I have yet to hear it other than filling with water. Very quiet. One problem is that the bleach dispenser drains immediately even if you do not have it filled all the way. Not sure what is up with that.

• SEA SEA
    3 years ago

Congratulations dorey! I hope you get many years of happy washing out of it!

But extra hot temp is 35C/95F? That's not really what I consider extra hot. Good to hear it fills with a good amount of water. I bet you have a large amount of laundry backlogged in your laundry room. I hope the bleach dispenser issue is an easy fix or workaround.

doreycrouse thanked SEA SEA
  • doreycrouse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

OK, so the buttons I was pushing to get temperature was incorrect. So I don't have great values yet. However, I did run a load of socks and underwear on the sweat stains cycle on hot and it filled with 40ºC water. So, not too far off. So far we love it though. I will continue to report!

• doreycrouse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Did a full load of towels today. 14 towels and 2 hand towels! Loving the 5.2 cu ft capacity! The Duet would only do 10 towels and the 2 hand towels at 3.9 cu. ft.

Anyways, I ran the Sanitize cycle, light soil, AutoSoak, turbowash off. 2:25. Wash only heated to 60ºC, but is probably due to the load size. It did 3 rinses as expected. However, it did sudslock. I used 2T STPP, and line 1 of Tide Powder! The Duet could handle line 5 without issues. Not to mention with far less towels! Perhaps it is something with the cool down process, or slower to ramp up during the interim spin?

I did notice the final spin is stupid short unless you select extra high spin speed. Only about 2 minutes.

I have LOADS of very dirty laundry to do tomorrow! I will get to play around with it a little more!

• SEA SEA
    3 years ago

So nice to hear the early play by play dorey! :) Sudslock. I've read this term before, but what is it? Does the machine shut down? Sorry for the dumb question. And you'll have to select extra high spin to get longer than a 2 min final spin. Yea, annoying. These are things you are figuring out as you play around with it. So much to learn in the next month. It must feel good to start to chip away at the piles of dirty laundry!! 60c/140f is pretty good. I'm sure you want a higher temp though. Maybe you'll find a way to get a little hotter for towels.

Glad you got your 2nd vaccine dose. My two dds got theirs too. I'm happy for the three of you. I hope you didn't get too many side effects.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

"DoreyCrouse: For whatever reason, there is always a little water that seems to return back into the drum from the pump."

No washer (or dishwasher) can drain 100% of the water. There is always residual water in the sump/pump.

• doreycrouse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Correct, however our Duet had the 'water saving ball' valve in the sump and always drained the sump entirely. This machine seems to leave some water in the sump itself.

• boba1
    3 years ago

Dorey, thanks for the information. If hoped for temps with the heater don't reach what you're hoping to be and using light soil, you might want to bump up to the next soil level to allow for more water heating time. Isn't the sweat stains cycle one of the downloaded cycles? Do the downloaded cycles allow you to select various spin speeds and wash water temps or do the downloaded cycles have fixed option settings and user cannot change them? Do any of the downloaded cycles have Extra Hot as a default or available option? What about steam as an option for any of the downloaded cycles? Thanks.

• doreycrouse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

boba1, the download cycles are odd. A majority of them allow you to change settings, however a few don't. A select few allow for extra hot, and those that do also allow for steam. I have only ran the steam setting once during a 'Rugged' cycle. That cycle will not be used again. I will report back on other steam cycles in the future.

Yes, the sweat stains cycle is downloaded. However, it doesn't use as much water as the normal cycle. Plain stupid.

• boba1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you. I look forward to your further testing and studying. Not sure you realize this, but the Kenmore Rugged cycle is the equivalent of the Allergiene cycle on LG branded front loaders.

• doreycrouse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

WHA..... Really?! I will gladly stick to the Normal cycle with Extra Hot wash! Seriously!

• SEA SEA
    3 years ago

What was so bad about the Rugged Cycle dorey? I appreciate you taking the time share your early use experiences with us! I hope you enjoy your new washing machine :)

• boba1
    3 years ago

Dorey, as time went on as I got used to and get to know my Duet 10 years ago. Whites had one set point wash temp; another temperature for Allergene, and another temperature set point for Sanitize, all based upon NFC certifications. Whites is between 125-129; Allergene 131 degrees and holds that temperature for a set amount of time and also uses additional water; then Sanitize is supposed to be 153-157 degrees. And I can tell a difference between each of the cycle's wash temperatures. Wouldn't surprise me it's similar for the comparable cycles on your new washer. LG's Allergene has a certification from an allergy professional society. Until you use and study such unique cycle(s), I wouldn't outright scoff at them. I was guilty doing that with my Heavy Duty cycle for 8 to 9 years because I was negative to it because it didn't use much water. But after understanding the intent and purposeful design of the cycle, and using it, I cam to have better appreciation.

• doreycrouse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I did not care for the Heavy Duty cycle on my Duet either. The water level was in fact too low. Interim spins were too slow as well. Not the best combo for 'heavy duty' cleaning.

SEA SEA, The Rugged cycle uses fairly low water levels an rinsing was not very good. With the steam phase, it was nearly a 3 hour long cycle. The Sanitize cycle is a better alternative IMHO. The Kids Wear cycle oddly enough is very similar but does not default with the steam phase on.

I really like the machine. But there are just a few things that I am still getting used to. Cycle times are almost consistently 1:30. Cleaning has been great! The Extra Hot water setting is something we are still adjusting to because it starts with ~45ºC water, and heats to just above 60ºC (Sanitize cycle will be higher). This is nice in preventing stains from setting in and still allows enzymes to work a bit before being denatured. However it just takes a long time.

I did use the Color Care cycle on a load of darks the other day. Water temperature when set to cold was 18ºC. Too cold for my liking. Otherwise, it was nearly identical to the Normal cycle, albeit maybe a little more water.

One complaint I do have, is that the Delicate cycle is the most gentle cycle the machine and the download cycles have to offer! This is slightly frustrating considering LG has a very good Handwash cycle. However, Delicate on light soil will be just fine. The Workout Wear cycle is identical to the Delicate cycle but has low speed interim spins. This is actually fairly useful.

If you guys have any questions at all, please let me know. I am still trying to figure this beast out, while being very busy at the same time.

• boba1
    3 years ago

I know Normal offers both ex. hot & hot and you've provided information for what temp is for Ex Hot. What temperature does Normal cycle get to when using just hot. How does that compare to hot on Whitest Whites? What happens during a cycle when steam is selected? Always been curious as to how LG or Kenmore does this as compared to my Duet steam being used.

• SEA SEA
    3 years ago

Thanks dorey. Great assessment! Continued good washes with it!

• vinmarks
    3 years ago

SEA SEA I'm not sure if sudslock is the same on dorey's machine as my LG but on my LG when it senses too much suds it flashes the suds error and adds 2 hours to the wash cycle. YIKES! The first time I had over sudsing I just let the machine go not knowing 2 hours was added to the cycle. I kept checking and it kept rinsing even when the suds were cleared. The second time I did it once I saw no suds I stopped the cycle and did a rinse and spin cycle.

• doreycrouse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Normal cycle hot water is about 45ºC. So is Whitest Whites. No heat added on either cycle.

I have not sat and watched the steam cycle, plus i have only ran it once. I think it just uses a very low water level and super heats the water for about 30 minutes, then fills for the wash.

• boba1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What temperature is your water heater set on? My Duet's steam is reverse--it does a usual wash cycle on whatever cycle I'm using--if the wash water is set for hot, it will fill with warm and heat wash water to hot temp. And if wash water is set for warm, steam will have it fill with cool water and heat wash water to warm. Then at the end of the wash cycle, it drains, fills the steam generator and shoots steam in throughout the load that's still saturated with the soapy residue from the wash and can steam for up to 20 minutes or so, depending upon soil level selected. It's extremely effective at very deep, embedded stains. If wash temperature is set for Sanitize temp, it starts with hot fill, heats the water during the wash cycle, and then goes through steam phase. I can select Sanitize wash temp for Whites, Heavy Duty, Allergen, Bulky Items, Cotton Sheets, Kids Wear, and Cotton Blankets. One of the things I like about Whirlpool is I can select Sanitize wash temp for a variety of fabrics, tumble patterns, and wash water fill levels.

• doreycrouse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

155ºF

• boba1
    3 years ago

Mine is between 120 & 125. I live in an all-electric house. That's why I need to have a washer that's as flexible as my Duet is when it comes to a variety of different fabric/cycles and being able to supplement and increase temperature for both hot and warm washes as well as need to go higher when desired. Hence a Speed Queen is totally unacceptable. And why I complain LG doesn't offer steam or supplement wash temps for its Towels-or ex hot for this cycle and no steam even wrinkle free/permanent press.

• doreycrouse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree. However, the extra hot settings on the Kenmore are boosted by the water heater and generally reach 60ºC. However, my Duet would fill with tap hot on select cycles and run a minimum of 60ºC. Whereas the Kenmore will dumb the temps down.

I agree with the Speed Queen not working for us for the same reason.

I do wish this machine had the towels cycle.

• boba1
    3 years ago

I wonder if the app with the downloadable cycles is universal for all Kenmore LG produced front loaders and not just a specific Kenmore model. Looking at the list of downloadable cycles on the app, there was a towels cycle.

• vinmarks
    3 years ago

How do you know what the temps are for the different cycles? Also how do you know if the machine is actually getting to those temps? I have an LG front load and ran a sanitize cycle extra hot yesterday. I was able to open the door in the beginning of the wash cycle and it was not hot. Later on I went to see if it was hot and it wouldn't allow me to open the door. The machine did feel warm but I wouldn't know if the temp inside actually got to what it's suppose to be. I know there is an internal heater in the machine.

I didn't go with speed queen because it does not have an onboard heater. We have a tankless water heater that is set to 120. I don't even know how much warm or hot water would even make it to the machine since many of the machines now a days use so little water.

I wasn't able to get the LG app to work.

• boba1
    3 years ago

There is a combination of two buttons pushed simultaneously that will display on the control panel temperatures in celsius. One of the two buttons is the water temperature, but I don't remember what the other button is that is pushed at the same time.

• doreycrouse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

On the Kenmore it is the temperature and add garments button held simultaneously

• boba1
    3 years ago

And I bet to get spin speed rpms it's add garments and speed buttons simultaneously.

• Dorian Crouse
    3 years ago

Yes it is, boba1!

• Dorian Crouse
    3 years ago

Alright, for all of you dog owners, you know exactly what this is. Spring is here. Grabbed a few of our rags and will give the Heavy Duty cycle with Steam Treat a try. Heavy Duty, Steam Treat, TurboWash on, extra rinse, and extra high spin is 2:05.

• boba1
    3 years ago

Cool!! Looking forward to your report.

• Dorian Crouse
    3 years ago

Ok. I’m actually impressed. Not only are they clean, they smell great! Just used 1 tsp of STPP and line 1 of Tide USR. Rinsed out well too.

• boba1
    3 years ago

Terrific.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

OMG. Gnasty dog towels got clean and fresh? That's not possible! Everybody knows frontloaders don't work, it's all over the interwebs! /s

• Dorian Crouse
    3 years ago

Lol. It did take 2 hours, but they are clean. Our Kenmore DD would not have been able to do that.

• boba1
    3 years ago

Front loaders with onboard heater and selecting appropriate cycle and options are the bomb and the best!!

• doreycrouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I hate to bump this thread back up, however...

I did a load of towels today. Since it was a full load I decided to go ahead and bleach them. I used the max fill line in the dispenser and Normal cycle, extra hot, extra rinse. WOW! Not a whiff of bleach at all. Once dried the towels smell as fresh and clean as always. Machine is a little more hygienic too.

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago

Very nice doreycrouse! You got a good machine. I never had that experience with my two front load washers.

• vinmarks
    2 years ago

I don’t use bleach that often but for those of you who do does your washer smell of bleach afterward and do you run a rinse and spin cycle after using bleach? I run a small load of white hand towels and facecloths occasionally and use bleach. The towels didnt have any bleach smell after being washed but the washer did. I‘m afraid if I throw a load of clothes in after there could possibly be bleach residue which may leave bleached spots on the clothes. I run a rinse and spin cycle after I do loads with bleach. Is it necessary?

• boba1
    2 years ago

A "best practice" approach when washing whites and include bleach as part of the cycle is to add the extra rinse or after the cycle ends, do an additional rinse & spin. That removes all traces of bleach in garments and machine.

• vinmarks
    2 years ago

Thank you boba1. That is what I needed to know. I didn't know if I was doing the extra rinse for nothing.

• doreycrouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The Duet always had a little chlorine smell in the drum after. The clothes had a very clean scent, but not like they did in the Kenmore. They smelled like I didn't use bleach. I was very impressed myself!