SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

When will the country be fully vaccinated?

terezosa / terriks
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

According to this from the New York Times, at the current rate of vaccination, the majority of Americans will be vaccinated in 6 months.

See Which Country Is Leading the Global Race to Vaccinate

Comments (48)

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

About what I expected though that will be for the first variants then we'll all need a booster for the new variants. So I'm thinking we won't be done in six months.

• roarah
    3 years ago

The uk might be ahead but they are mix and matching second shots. Waiting over 12 weeks to give the second doses and rushed AstraZeneca through -approval with much missing data. They better hope their methods do not back fire...

• Related Discussions

ivomec, worms, & vaccines for most pets

Q

Comments (1)
    Gamerooster.com has a great page here on what type of wormer kills which worms, although it's aimed at chickens, I imagine the info would help: http://www.gamerooster.com/ Velvet ~:>
    ...See More

When do you expect your first fully open blooms?

Q

Comments (21)
    Ah, PTPulley..."HI"...waving vigorously! Actually, I am up on the top down near the south end, but I used to live at Ellisport, right across from you. Come over and see my dahlias when they are all blooming :-) How many do you grow? I have about 190 this year and sell the flowers at my flower stand. Thus enabling me to buy more and more interesting tubers each year Loved your hint on ripping stakes from cedar boards. We are going to try that ourselves. Right now I have a crazy collection of bamboo stakes, metal fence T posts, and bean poles and those green plastic covered metal ones that bend at teh wrong time. How I would like a nice patch with posts all the same size , and ones that won't rot in 2 or 3 years.
    ...See More

Will you take the vaccine?

Q

Comments (38)
    My infant/toddler brother was one of the first people vaccinated for measles back circa 1960. He lucked out because we then lived in NYC, where much of the first batches were sent to. He also lucked out because *I* (obviously living in the same apartment) had a terribly serious case of measles, that lasted a couple weeks or so). I am glad it worked out for him. I wish the vaccine had been around sooner. At any rate, I'm not going to be first in line for this coronavirus vaccine. I'm going to remain careful until actual data are in, and I think with my immunological training, if I have access to some source data and journals, I'll decide for myself if ready for the vaccine. I also hope other types of treatments are properly vetted - various drugs and what-not - that will cure or mitigate the disease. I don't necessarily expect cures from that source, but it is very likely that the disease can be mitigated following proper research. PS. I don't take the flu shot every year - but I did for about six years after having the flu so severely I went to a walk in clinic and they supplied me with a high oxygen humid air treatment for an hour or so. Before I'd gone there, the only time I didn't cough was when I was in the shower, steam coursing all through me. AS SOON AS I stepped out, I was coughing again.
    ...See More

Is Vaccine Easy to Get in Your Area?

Q

Comments (141)
    @terezosa / terriks we got our shots at walgreens. They were on top of it - but there was some kind of computer glitch. I had to set up appointments for each of us using a seperate email address. I got my confirmation and then cancellation - about 4 times. LOL The Mr got confirmations and no cancellations. I called the store and they were SO nice. Told me to come on in with him. Which I did, no problems. And, I still have confirmation of my second appointment. It never cancelled that one. (You scheduled 1st and 2nd appt. at the same time.)
    ...See More
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

Somewhere I read that Dr Fauci mentioned that children would start receiving the vaccine this spring. I was told the other day it would be later this year that I might receive the vaccine. However with each new type that is emerging with one of the African strains not being covered in the current vaccine I do not think this nightmare will end any time soon. If ever.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

this time next year, maybe

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Dr Faucci was on one of the morning shows and said he is still hopeful and it is reasonable that we will be somewhat normal by fall. Who knows?

• aok27502
    3 years ago

Fully? Never. Too many holdouts. My in-laws, ages 82 and 76, have declared that they won't get the vaccine unless they're forced. I think they get all of their information from Facebook. Hopefully some doctors can beat some sense into them.

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

Maybe a year from now. But if the virus continues to mutate and I expect it will, vaccines will become like laundry. Everyone being current on vaccinations against the virus will be the twelfth of never.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Or like the flu vaccine, different every 12 months.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

September is my guess -- that by then, everyone who wants to take the vaccine (in the USA) will have had the opportunity to do so. I'm guessing that Canada and Europe will be about the same, some countries will be way ahead, and the poorer countries will be way behind.

• lily316
    3 years ago

2021 will be just as a horrific year as 2020.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Even without that person the virus is mutating and instead of mutating to weaker forms it is apparently becoming worse. At least there are some in the administration that are attempting to be proactive but there are too many around the world that have not woken up to what is happening. I do wish I had answers to what to expect. Based on history of other diseases it will eventually either end or people should plan on changing their lifestyles to protect themselves as much as they can. Some diseases simply seemed to disappear others would continue a repeat then lull some for centuries.

• socks
    3 years ago

I don't think the country will every be "fully vaccinated." There will be no end point as our population changes. People will continue to change their minds about the vaccine and get it, young people will grow into the age (16?) to be eligible for vaccine. Then probably like the flu, annual vaccines will be made and also modified vaccines for the (scary) variants. This will be going on for years.

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

Dr. Fauci said the 100 million vaccines in 100 days is likely to be achieved because there will be a dramatic ramp up in the # of vaccinations. I’ve even heard others say we will get past 100 million in 100 days. Johnson & Johnson should get emergency use authorization within weeks and Novavax likely will be in another couple of months. The mRNA vaccines are testing safety and efficacy in youths. So, yes, maybe by fall?

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I believe the Johnson and Johnson vaccine - they are applying for emergency approval next week. The only thing about this vaccine is that it is 70 something (72 or 74 I think) percent effective where Pfizer and Merderna are much higher. I will take whatever vaccine I can get, but am hoping for Pfizer or Merderna.

My MIL hasn't been able to get an appointment yet, but I am having a hard time making her realize she will still need to wear a mask and be careful even after she is vaccinated. : (

• greenshoekitty
    3 years ago

My hope is that in some time it may not be gone, but it will become a shot each year like we do for the flu. That’s my dream cause I don’t think it will ever completely go away.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

The stockpile is in the states' unused doses. Lucky me, living in Wisconsin, we have lots & lots sitting around in storage. Send us more. It's so cold outside we won't even have to plug in the refrigeration.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-percentage-of-covid-19-vaccines-administered.html

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

There is a limit to how many doses Pfizer & Moderna can make each day. If you want a national stockpile, then the government would have to withhold distribution to the states in order to build that stockpile. Is that what you really want?

What is verging on being criminal is the slow administration of what is in inventory NOW. Take a look at the link I posted above. How is YOUR state doing? How well is the chief executive in your state and his/ her administration doing at getting the vax in people's arms? I know that my state, Wisconsin, is doing a horrible job. We were 46th worst. This week, in a race to the bottom, we now occupy the #48 spot.

There should be zero stockpile at this point in time. Anywhere. It should be getting distributed & used as soon as possible.

What the UK is doing, faced with what is reportedly a more transmissible variant and surging rates of infection is the sensible thing to do, IMO. If you have 10 million doses of vax, do you vaccinate 5 million people and leave 5 million doses sitting on the shelf? Or do you offer some margin of protection to 10 million people? Now. They have chosen the latter &, in order to do that, they spread the 2nd dose interval to 12 weeks.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

No time soon around here for us. We both qualify but it is a huge messy process here. I wish they would let clinics do them instead of having thousands of people lined up waiting for hours to see if maybe they can get one.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I wish they would let clinics do them instead of having thousands of people lined up waiting for hours to see if maybe they can get one.

The problem with the current vaccines, at least the Pfizer one, is that they need special freezers to store the vaccine. Most clinics don't have them.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Even with the horrible job Wisconsin is doing, DH & I got lucky & got our first dose today. (A friend in Oklahoma in the same 'group' as DH & I got his first dose January 4th and his second vax yesterday.)

I have spent the last week hammering the governor's & my local rep's Facebook page about the lousy job they/ the administration/ the state have been doing, posting stats from other states & generally raising hell. Hubbie thinks we got the call in hopes that I would shut up!

I sure as heck am not the only one. There are a lot, a lot, of very unhappy, disgusted & angry people over the whole vaccine roll-out in this state. And I won't be stopping the complaining until there is a remarkable improvement in the vax process/ progress.

• jemdandy
    3 years ago

My wife and I got our first dose of the Pfizer vaccine this week. (My rating was 9, so I was high on the list) A local hospital was giving the shots and it was well organized. The process began by making an appointment through our HMO. We were given a time slot and a set of instructions of where to go. The appointment also included the second shot 3 weeks later. I did my per-registration on-line. That saved time on the day of the shot.

Due to the appointment system, waiting in line was short. I arrived 15 minutes before my shot. There was one person in front of me. I waited 6ft behind him for less than 5 minutes and was ushered to the registration station. I breezed though that and was sent immediately to a shot stall. Got the shot and a vaccination card. I was sent to a holding area for a 15 minute observation time, and then was done. After a person left his seat in the waiting area, the chair was wiped down.

My wife went later in the day. They started a 9am and by 1pm had given 400 shots. I'd give them an A rating for organization on a short notice. They were not sure when they would get vaccine for the general public and had been vaccinating essentials and first responders.

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

It is unknown how long the immunity from each particular vaccine will last, so each type of vaccine (mRNA, adenovirus, or protein) could be very different.

• maddielee
    3 years ago

....the reason prisoners need to be vaccinated is because other individuals come into contact with those who are incarcerated.

Much like young, healthy restaurant workers who need to be able to work without spreading the virus.

There are still plenty of people who vow never to receive the vaccination

Florida keeps trying different systems to allow people to get appointments. The state is now trying a statewide system after the county systems failed. Repeatedly.

I doubt we’ll ever be back to the normal that use to be.

• OllieJane
    3 years ago

...I'm sure most "Americans" have no problem with Gitmo employees getting the vaccine, but certainly not terrorists, especially one being the mastermind 9/11 terrorist. The prisoner 'scenario' could be used, as in many 'scenarios' in the work place across the U.S.

We WILL be back to normal. Stop believing all the chaos the media feeds you and do your own research.

I think most states could have done a much better job with the vaccine. Apparently West Virginia was planning for almost a year on how to distribute, good for them!

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is positive news:

"The Los Angeles County Fire Department says it is seeing a "drastic decline" in the test positivity rate and the number of employees out sick with COVID-19 within its workforce."

https://abc7.com/los-angeles-lacofd-coronavirus-vaccines/9823611/

And the LA City Fire Dept is also now seeing a similar drop.

https://www.firehouse.com/safety-health/news/21207788/decline-in-lafd-covid-cases-after-vaccinations

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

It’s interesting looking at that distribution data. NC has 1.4M doses with 850,000 already distributed (population: ~10.5M). SC has only 550,000 doses with 350,000 distributed (population: ~5M). NC has had large vaccine events at the NASCAR speedway last weekend and the NFL stadium this weekend. They’ve also used other sports arenas. Still, it would be easy to be able to go to my pharmacy or primary care to get it, BUT DH was told at his wellness appointment they are pulling people away from primary care offices to administer vaccines. The hospital system has also done outreach to some of the African American churches to hold clinics onsite, and they’ve done a few of these already.

Public health has been under-funded for a long time now. It is unrealistic for them to be able to magically do this. The hospital systems probably have better infrastructure, but CVS and Walgreens can probably do it, too. I would also like to see military medics used, and in some areas, I think they are. They’ve also called out for retired healthcare providers. Still many HCP are taking care of other patients, either with Covid or anything else.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

I too have wondered at that stockpile that was supposedly, according to what I read so do not quote me, held back to ensure the people who had the first dose would be able to receive the second. Which with the new strain that is supposedly more infectious and not covered by the current shots not as important as it seemed at the time. What is important is to find out if it existed and if it did what happened to it. If it did exist jail time and hefty fines should be imposed.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

You know, I have been trained and have dealt with plant viruses for a long time. Anyone who hopes for better days had better jump on the time-tested methods for tamping down virus spread--early detection, quarantine, prevention and inoculation. Treatment is tough in plants but much easier in humans. So is inoculation, since plants don't really develop immunity, they try to outgrow the virus with new resistant cells, or wall off the spread of a virus, which is just not possible to achieve success sometimes. They also have some immunity functions through the soil but that's an area of expanding research, as is the mysteries of animal immunity.

Viruses are ecosystem planet adjusting/challenging mechanisms since the dawn of time. The more they spread, the more they mutate to adapt to the population they are infeccting. Give them the ideal conditions and they will take over the system, even though they are just tiny bits of rNA. They are the replication system. Imagine the effects of a virus on a computer network. You have to wall it off and keep it from replicating/spreading or you are in deep doo doo. It's the bane of any population or system, and one suffers or does not suffer depending on how connected one is. Same with plants, which is why diversity in ecosystems is protective and why a mono-culture is so potentially dangerous/vulnerable.

I'm not sure when we will all get vaccinated because I am struggling to understand the mentality behind the anti-vaccination movement. I understand the idea of not wanting to mess too much with a natural process like immunity, but one does have to weigh the pluses and minuses. Having lost WEEKS of productivity and health to other viruses, and having known of the death and life long infirmity imposed on my recent ancestors by other viruses such as viral pneumonia, measles and diptheria, not to mention the tales my grandmother told me about tetanus . . . I'm all for using them as part of a disease control regime!! That's what people fail to realize about disease prevention and treatment. We have a "heroic" and silver bullet approach, only tackling some problems when they get to the extreme point and need heroic last minute rescues. But we devote little effort to prevention or mitigation, closing the door long after the horses have escaped. We often fight long term planning, but anyone who has studied productivity will tell you devoting energy and resources to such endeavors has a huge payoff. The old story of Joseph's dream and warning to Pharoh, or the story of the grasshopper and the ant . . .

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

Record keeping. It's a thing. Providing for verification and preventing corruption since the invention of papyrus and before . . . since the discovery of the tally mark . . .

• Emily H
    3 years ago

Hi there, If you are not able to discuss this topic without taking political pot shots, please take a break or select a different topic. Thanks!

• roarah
    3 years ago

Today marks a great milestone for more people have been vaccinated in the us than have tested positive. My own state is one of the top seven in the country and has vaccinated over ten percent of our population already so I am hopeful that by summer all willing to be vaccinated will be protected against dying of covid.

• Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
    3 years ago

I am not putting on the vaccine.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

^^^ You're not putting the vaccine on what?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Last I heard was we should be fully vaccinated by July...if everyone chooses to be. Last I heard was that by April, vaccines should be available to all.

If so, this is excellent news.

Once DH and I are 2 weeks past our 2nd shot, we'll be returning to restaurants for inside dining. And I'll be able to have my GFs over again. And DH will be able to go back to the gym again, and so will I...

He goes for his first shot tomorrow, snowstorm notwithstanding.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

I had my first Moderna shot this morning. Woo-Hoo!

• Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
    3 years ago

@LoneJack Zn 6a, KC on myself...

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

vaccine ... or gene therapy shot?

pfizer and moderna is mRNA => gene therapy

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

I am thrilled to have got my first dose this afternoon. Appointment was at three. We were in on the dot and out in 40 minutes including the questionnaire, temp check and 15 minute wait afterwards. Very smoothly organised. We even had a slide show whilst waiting. Thai take out and bottle of wine soon to celebrate. Why anyone would refuse this amazing gift to humanity is incomprehensible to me.

• socks
    3 years ago

I think we need to carefully safeguard our vaccine cards when we have both shots. In the future we may need to prove we have been vaccinated. Who knows? I have mine in a file and took a cell phone picture.

• matti5
    3 years ago

We received our first vaccine on Wednesday at our local fairgrounds. It was flawless, in and out in 25 minutes. I actually got a little emotional when it was our turn, I didn't think I'd see this day for quite a while, it was very surreal. During our 15 minute post vaccination wait time, there was a lady in the car next to us who was having a reaction. Paramedics were there within seconds, turns out it was a panic attack.

Thank you to all healthcare workers for your tireless efforts, you are hero's.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

We’ve just been given a date by the government of July 31st for every adult to have received, or been offered, at least their first vaccination. A bit risky putting a definite date on it but they did get to their target of 15 million including all over 70s by last Monday so they must be feeling confident. Everyone over 65 was completed by last Friday. Over 50s and vulnerable youngsters are due to be done by April 15th. They’re staking a lot by giving precise dates. Let’s hope they’re right.

Regarding safeguarding vaccination cards. All that information is on our central patient records anyway, so the physical card isn’t vital. My online record was updated automatically as I was getting my shot. I can access it anytime.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Good point, Socks.

I got my second dose Saturday morning. We arrived about 40 minutes early, walked to the registration desk & immediately shuffled to a seat where we got the 'jab' and then back out to the lobby to sit out the 15 minute observation period. In & out the door before the time of our appointment. Both trips went like ahead of the clockwork.

For now, I'm keeping my vax, errr 'jab' card in my wallet since I am flying to AZ in a couple of weeks. Might get it laminated. But I expect we'll be able to show proof via our cell phones before long (if not already). Plop it into Apple Wallet or something.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

I would hold off on that lamination. Some people have had problems with laminated SS cards being accepted at the DMV that I use because it is easier to make a fake one.

• olychick
    3 years ago

Socks, thanks for the idea of photoing the card. I just never have gotten in the habit of using my phone for such obvious purposes, so this is a good reminder for me.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Ha ha, ci_lantro. I said “shot” and you said “jab”.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"vaccine ... or gene therapy shot?pfizer and moderna is mRNA => gene therapy"

Not exactly. No human genes are altered or replaced. Here's what I found:

"mRNA, or messenger RNA, is genetic material that contains instructions for making proteins. mRNA vaccines for COVID-19 contain synthetic mRNA. Inside the body, the mRNA enters human cells and instructs them to produce the "spike" protein found on the surface of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The body recognizes the spike protein as an invader, and produces antibodies against it. If the antibodies later encounter the actual virus, they are ready to recognize and destroy it before it causes illness."

Also:

"Could an mRNA vaccine change my DNA?

An mRNA vaccine — the first COVID-19 vaccine to be granted emergency use authorization (EUA) by the FDA — cannot change your DNA."

Both snippets from Harvard Health.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

I've taken a photo of ours too, in fact I've sent it to the care coordinator at Mom's care facility. (I want inside, and hopefully soon ;0) I'll probably carry mine, although my purse hasn't made it farther than the car in months now. I put a credit card in my pocket when going into shops, not carrying my purse. The card is sized a little odd for a man's wallet where it seems to be about 30% larger than a credit card or business card. Or at least sized oddly for DH's wallet.

We had our #2 Moderna today, same as the first with no notice. It was supposed to have been last Wednesday and the vaccine was storm delayed. They called today and said we could have the shot tomorrow, or if free we could come right then. We went 'then'.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz