SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mr_bill_m

All things LECA

Bill M.
3 years ago

OK - I did what I said I wouldn't do - I purchased a bag of LECA. Sheesh!

There is a lot of information out there concerning LECA. Youtube has some good videos. Searching google turns up a wealth of information, and FB has some sites dedicated to it.

That being said - I thought I would start a discussion forum here where we can ask questions, and post answers, as well as discuss our experiences using it with various plants. For instance, I discovered the leca needs to be flushed periodically to leach out salt build up in the substrate.

What fertilizers to use? How often? Plants which respond well to it vs plants which don't etc. These kinds of things I'd like to discuss.

Initially I thought LECA wasn't for me. All the reading said it was high maintenance, so, what did I do? Yep - I bought a bag! First of all - I should have gotten the larger particles - these were the small to mixed sizes. I think the larger LECA is better overall, but again I have no experience with it. Maybe someone can chime in.

I moved a single leaf lacanosa, which was sitting in pearlite for over a year in a propagation box and doing nothing, into a cup of LECA. I also placed one node of Krimson Queen in LECA too. I have another node in regular orchid bark. They were both in orchid bark, but I thought I'd experiment. Moving the one I managed to break off some large healthy roots - aughhh!

I don't have enough plants, nor any big enough to cut at the moment, to try other propagating experiments, but those of you who have done this - what did you find out? do you grow your plants to maturity in LECA, basically that being their permanent home? I have so many questions!

OK folks - let's see if we can't get a good discussion going concerning LECA. I enjoy learning - school me.

Comments (57)

Sponsored
More Discussions