SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debru4

Kitchen remodel painting dilemmas......help!!

debru4
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am remodeling my kitchen, nook and family room. These rooms are at the north and east side of my home. The kitchen will have Pure White Shaker Cabinets to the ceiling, wood floors, and white countertops. It is completely open to the nook and family room. The adjacent living room, dining room and hall are on the west side and are a tan color. (Discontinued Waverly Natural). I've used Samplize and a Color Snap tool and the closest shade to those walls appears to be SW Natural Tan, although depending on which area I test, I have gotten other colors too, like Canvas Tan or Natural Linen.

I have two related dilemmas:

*First, I want a tan color that is soft and neutral and offers a contrast to the Pure White cabinets without overwhelming the areas. I also don't want it to be a clash with the hall and other rooms that are adjacent. Since the rooms have less light I want to be sure the paint doesn't dull the areas. (I tried greige colors and they were awful.) Any feedback from those who have used Natural Tan, Canvas, or Neutral Ground, particularly in lower light areas, would be appreciated.

*Secondly, since my cabinets take up most of the space in my small kitchen, there are only small areas of walls to be painted in the kitchen. The nook and family room have plenty of wall space available for painting. Several people have suggested I paint my kitchen and nook ceilings the same color as the walls (that soft, neutral tan I am looking for) so that the paint in the kitchen in those smaller areas doesn't look so disjointed. That wasn't my original plan, and I don't know if it is a good idea or not. The spaces are open and I worry that when I paint the nook ceiling and walls that same tan, it will make the space seem smaller and darker. So do I paint both ceilings white and hope the small areas of color in the kitchen don't look like mistakes, or paint the ceilings in both areas tan and hope the nook walls don't appear to close in??? I hope I have explained this well enough to make sense.

Any and all suggested are appreciated. I have to make this decision by next week. Thanks!

Comments (10)