SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pegleg0302

What’s between the brick exterior and plaster wall interior. 100 YO.

pegleg0302
3 years ago

The house I recently bought was built about 103 years ago. The exterior is brick on the lower half of the home and the upper half of the home is stucco with a vinyl siding overlay. (1 story house). The inside walls are lath and plaster BUT what is in between the brick walls and the lath and plaster portion of the wall? Is it framed similarly to how interior walls would be with some air gaps or?

I want to make sure if I remove the plaster from the inside of an exterior wall that I’m not going to be causing a huge problem. Are there studs behind the lath and plaster like there would be on an interior wall? I’ve worked as a day laborer on new home constructions and remodeled some kitchens and bathrooms on newer homes but this old house is something unique. They definitely don’t build em like this anymore. Just replaced all the cast iron and galvanized plumbingg to the tune of 10k so while they were doing that work, I had them set the new plumbing up to tie in the new bathroom. All I have to do is tear up the flooring, lay tile, and run the new lines and electrical and it’s ready to go. I can do the Sheetrock myself after the plumbers and electricia finishes and I’ll use wall texture so it matches the rest of the house but I just don’t want to open the wall up and be in For more than I bargained for.

along the same line, if I want to have the siding replaced, are homes of this age able to have that done or would removing the brick compromise the structure?

Another project is to hopefully cover the exposed foundation in plaster Or something. Being an old home, there are some settling cracks that have been filled/inspected but can I cover those with stucco or do a cement skim coat to refresh the way it looks? The concrete skirting around the house is also in shambles so I’ll have it replaced eventually as well.

Comments (12)