SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
helaurin93

Uppers Kitchen Cabinet & gap to windows diliemma

helaurin93
3 years ago

Still planning on the kitchen. This question centers around the upper cabinets.

On the "L" perimeter planning, one wall is an exterior wall. The exterior wall has a 5' wide window that ends 30 5/"8 inches away from the corner where that wall meets an interior wall. There's an additional 1/2" for the existing corner-type window trim on there currently, which if I put standard 2.25" window trim on that window, that existing 1/2" corner trim would come off. Without any trim at all, there is 31" from the window edge to the interior wall corner.

In that corner, the base cabinetry will be a corner super susan, and countertop.

I have a couple of options to consider for how to handle the upper cabinets in that corner.

1. The current plan from the KD (semi-custom line) has the upper cabinets running on the interior wall all the way to the corner where it meets the exterior wall, all straight on the interior wall. In part because I'm short, I feel like the last foot of so of uppers, as it approaches the exterior wall, will be virtually useless to me because I'll need to get a stepladder to reach anything in it. (I'm only 5' tall, so I probably ought to be naming my stepladder, cause it's practically my best friend). The KD for this line has these as 12" deep cabinets, so that would leave a substantial "window to cabinet" gap or reveal of 19" on the right side of the window. But I also will have 2-3 upper cabinets on the left side of the window, and feel it might look odd to have an 19" reveal on the right side and don't want to lose 19" of wall space for an equal reveal on the left side of the window. Putting 2.25" window trim would reduce that gap to 16.75" but that still seems a lot to me. So - would it look odd to have the interior wall cabinets running flush on that to the exterior wall, leaving an 16.75" gap on the right side of the window, and then having a much smaller window-to-cabinet gap on the left? I mean, ideally, shouldn't the distance around a window to cabinetry on either side be pretty equal?

2. An alternative KD (custom line) suggested having a 90-degree corner cabinet with two doors, and increasing the depth to 15" deep uppers so that I could store larger items and more easily reach them. Doing this gives me the option of having the back sides of the upper cabinet be whatever width I need. A 24" width, for example, would leave me with 7" of space from the cabinet edge to the window, minus the 2.25" trim, for a blank wall space of 4.75" between the edge of the trim and the corner cabinet on the right side. Since it's custom... I could do a 25" width, leaving me with 3.75", of blank wall between the window trim and the cabinet, or even run the cabinet right up to the window trim (which might or might not look good. I think it helps that the window is 5' wide, if it were a lot smaller, then it would definitely not look good to run the cabinet to the window trim). If I were to have the blank wall space be exactly the same width as the window trim, the cabinet could be as much as 26.5" wide.

So, how much space is ideal between a window and a cabinet? Does that include or not include the window trim? With this configuration, it would be pretty easy for me to match the left side window reveal to the right side.

KD1's visual kitchen plan shown below; the corner in discussion is pretty much in the center of the image.

Inspiration photo for corner upper cabinet is next - this would allow for additional upper storage, coming closer to the window, etc.

Thoughts?

Comments (3)