SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megankamins

Would you rather - more windows or wall for bookshelves?

MBAK
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hogging some more space on these discussion boards with my endless window questions if y'all could humor me a bit longer!

Building a new house - kitchen and family room are open concept. The back wall of the family room will be all windows, and currently windows flank each side of the fireplace mantle... My husband just asked me where the bookshelves go... and I don't friggin know!

Which would you rather here - more wall space or more windows?

Would you lose the windows around mantle - *or make them skinnier or transoms - to do built in bookshelves around mantle?

The family room is 19 ft long - I am not sure if I'd have room for a mantle, flanked by bookshelves, flanked by windows (or vice versa) on that long wall? Or we could maybe do built ins on wall at entrance alongside powder room wall?

I'm hesitant to lose any more windows because there would then only be windows along the same one wall in family room and kitchen facing the backyard, so nice view but only one exposure. We decided not to do windows in kitchen L-shape design because there's already not a ton of cabinet space.. So have just two in a nook area.

I am not usually a fan of making shorter bookshelves with transoms over them - usually looks like the height of the room is kinda truncated to me? But maybe I just haven't seen them done nicely.. I did find a few nicely done examples below that I could try to replicate to have best of both worlds?

*Edited to add - I'm on a narrow lot, so the left/side view would be of neighbor's side of house/fence.

Comments (6)