SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olson2334

Help with Design Renovating Laundry and Mud Room Closet

A O
3 years ago

Hello,

We moved in to the home a few months ago and really do not like the mud room area. It is also the entry from the garage as well as the laundry room. I am not a designer or good with what furniture and color should go where but I can build. I am really hoping some folks can assist in making this a functional space. We would like to make it a mud room/laundry space and are looking for peoples suggestions on how to do so.

Some of the things we don't like current:

1. We don't like that when you enter there is no place to sit to remove shoes, boots, etc
  2. No storage for those items
  3. Don't like the way the garage door opens and if you are using the drawers can impede one another
  4. The area gets crowded
  5. No hangers for coats and things to easily hang up

Some things we have thought or challenges we aren't sure how to overcome

1. Just above the washer is the laundry chute from the second level we would like to remain
  2. Have thought about removing the wall that divides this space from the entry door and the closet to open up the space. The concern we have doing this is the tile that is in this space I don't believe we have extra. It runs through the full level so there is a lot if we were to change it out which is a cost concern. Maybe other options?
  3. BONUS ITEM: My wife does not like how the half bath opens direct into the kitchen and would prefer that it open into this entry space. Crazy or is this possible based on how the second floor is sitting on these walls? (wondering if load bearing)
  4. BONUS ITEM: My wife does not like how there is a sink in the laundry and one right next door and would have liked to see them multipurpose

If the closet wall is something people think should come down there is power in this wall that I can handle. I think I could address it from below in the basement as I could remove the sheetrock ceiling in the utility room to have access from below.

Really hoping we can make this space functional and something to model the rest of house off of.

What else is needed to clarify things?

Thanks for the help

This is the space we want to fix

Maybe this helps to be able to tell if load bearing or not so adding how the floors sit and where the space sits in relation

2nd floor floor

Main Level Floor

Pictures of the space

Picture of the window and sink area. This is the common wall to the half bath

Closet

Comments (25)