SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
share_oh

Soc. Security Survivorship Benefits - help!

share_oh
3 years ago

My dad (85) passed away last month from covid.

My mom (83) had it and survived, thankfully. Now we are dealing with all kinds of unexpected situations and I'm trying my best to help her figure them out.

My dad's social security was about $1700/mo. My mom was getting about $600/mo. She thought once he died, she wouldn't get hers any longer, but she would instead collect his amount.

This seemed to be true with a letter she received telling her in Feb. she would get about $1500 - that confused her but I saw they were deducting about $150 for Medicare. So the amount was a little bit less than what he was getting, but pretty close.

Then yesterday she received another letter saying they were deducting $500 from the amount, making her total monthly check now about $1000. She read everything to me over the phone and there's really not a good explanation for why they are making this deduction.

She tried calling the local SS office to no avail. Today she was going to try the national office.

I went online to try to see if I could figure out if this is the case or if it is an error. I'm confused after reading their website!

She is meeting with her attorney next week, so if she can't get ahold of anybody from SS, maybe he can figure it out.

But I thought maybe someone here has experienced something similar and can give me a heads up on what should or shouldn't be happening!

Comments (19)