SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_zema

Front Yard Ideas

Lindsey Zema
3 years ago

My husband and I moved into our house last year. It's been almost a year and we're finally getting around to improving the front yard/walkway. When the house was built in the 30's, I think the front door originally faced a different direction, but when someone renovated it years ago, they moved the door, making the side yard the front yard. As a result the house feels flat and the natural focus is the giant window instead of the door.

I'm thinking some landscaping would be helpful to balance out the window, maybe hide the electrical meters, though I don't have much of an eye for landscaping. We live in central Florida, so it's generally warm and the soil is pretty sandy. What's there right now is courtesy of the previous homeowners.

I'm not thrilled with the (lack of) front porch either. The walkway from the sidewalk to the steps is currently just some pavers. The walkway dips which means it gets flooded when it rains too hard. Also, as there's no overhang over the door. It becomes a waterfall when it rains and any missed packages are soaked.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Comments (7)