SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_varnell

Help picking wood species for MCM slab style cabinet doors.

Sarah Varnell
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are slowly but surely renovating a 1950's ranch style home and are finally tackling the kitchen. While I know white shaker and subway tile are flooding the market (at least in my area) I want cabinets that would look more appropriate for my home but still contemporary. My favorite is rift sawn white oak slab door cabinets with a clear, matte finish - I love the linear pattern of the grain. For our area, the material is outside of our budget and cabinet shops are most familiar with customers who want a white, farmhouse kitchen. Our most affordable options for full panel, slab cabinet doors are non-knotty alder or red oak. My hesitation with alder is that it would look too rustic, and with plain sawn red oak I keep having flashbacks to the raised panel, honey oak cabinets of my childhood. Any advice from those of you who may be more familiar with cabinetry or wood species? Thanks! (see pictures for our current cabinets and the looks we prefer, granted all probably in million dollar homes!)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022