SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam1962

Music on the Brain - your favorite classic rock songs

Tina Marie
3 years ago

Had some issues with my Amazon Music - which turns out to be my iphone. Finally got my music up and going again on my phone and bluetooth in my car. I've spent way too much time listening to music last night and today LOL. So . . . .

What are some of your favorite classic rock songs?

In my Bee Gees thread, some comments were made to the era, etc. Got me to thinking. I love so many different kinds of music. Classic rock/old rock will probably always be my favorite but I also like Christian Contemporary, a bit of country (I am very particular about what country artists I listen too LOL), some folk, etc.

Looking forward to the answers. I'll answer in comments.

Comments (36)

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Layla - Eric Clapton

Freebird - Lynard Skynard

Rhiannan - Stevie Nicks version

Dream On - Aerosmith

Witchy Woman - Eagles

Feels Like the First Time - Foreigner

Tiny Dancer - Elton John

• Jilly
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Classic rock is my love. 1960’s to 2000’s.

Like you, some country, but mainly only 70’s—80’s era. I despise current country. I like Disco, the Blues, and even some soft 70’s rock. Love lots of 80’s bands, from my HS years.

Stones, Boston, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Supertramp, Stevie Wonder, Heart, Rush, Taj Mahal, Van Halen, and on and on. I also love The Go-Go’s, The Carpenters, Roberta Flack, James Taylor, Carly Simon, Carol King, Gordon Lightfoot, and again, on and on. Just too many to name. :)

I grew up with rock playing all the time (my mother LOVED Hendrix), and am married now to a guitar player (hobby). Music is a huge part of my life and always has been. I’m a rhythm guitar and bass lover, for sure.

Tina Marie thanked Jilly
  • Related Discussions

Your favorite Christmas/Holiday music?

Q

Comments (25)
    sable ca, we love Handel's Messiah too. It's an amazing work of art. I'm so glad you liked Dan's music cyn427 He was such a talented man. His death a little over six years ago was broke my heart. I've been a huge fan since I saw him in concert in '74 when he opened for the Eagles. I went out the next morning and bought both his albums and have followed him every since. Here's a link that should play his last full album that he worked on as he was dying from prostate cancer. His wife and friends worked mixing his work together for over a year after he passed. The last song was his good bye. It ends with the same notes the first song on his first album started with. Home Free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6zZihdU0sI To open the above link highlight it, right click and chose open in new tab. Here is a link that might be useful: Dan Fogelberg Love In Time
    ...See More

What is your favorite song

Q

Comments (20)
    Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground Willie I will Always Love You only the Dolly Parton version Piece of My Heart Janis Joplin (the remake by whoever is horrid and should be outlawed) Katmandu Bob Seger I was fortunate to grow up during the sixties and was surrounded by all the Bay Area garage bands and got to hear groups like the Airplane,Janis and Big Brother and the Holding Company,The Youngbloods, Blue Cheer, and even the Dead before they became household words. Golden gate park and the San Francisco clubs were the norm of my youth. I'm stuck in the 50's,and 60's and early 70's too. I have always listened to country. When my friends were into the Beatles in the 7th grade I was listening to Sonny James. LOL
    ...See More

Favorite Christmas music/songs?

Q

Comments (18)
    I like a variety of music. You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch Charles Brown's version of Please Come Home For Christmas Christmas At Ground Zero The Litle Drummer Boy The Chipmunk's Christmas Don't Be Late and Jingle Bell Rock Feliz Navidad and the parody Police Stopped My Car Burl Ives' Holly Jolly Christmas All I Want For Christmas Is You 23 Happy Christmas Silent Night Christmas Vacation Theme (Whatever it's called) Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire and the parody, Chipmunks Roasting on an Open Fire
    ...See More

What is your mom’s favorite song?

Q

Comments (60)
    Annie, I've always really liked "Deep Purple", but my association is with the up-tempo 70(s)? version. I'm trying to make myself get out for a walk so I'm not going to look it up now. Sadly, I don't believe I ever asked my mom what her favorite song was. I know she liked music, especially the music of her time and that of Barbra Streisand, but I don't remember her humming around the house.
    ...See More
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

Oops, you said songs, sorry! Oh my goodness, my list is too long to even start. I’d be here all day. 😁

Tina Marie thanked Jilly
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You're fine Jinx! I love your answers. I love Heart too! James Taylor and Carly Simon - yep!

I used to be so totally non-country but (now don't laugh!) I love Chris Stapleton, Luke Combs and Eric Church. I'm right here in DOLLY country but I never was a dolly fan. Didn't not like her, just wasn't into her music - UNTIL - she recorded a song with Zack Williams "There Was Jesus". I absolutely love that song.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Ohh, will have to listen to the Dolly song, thanks!

Tina Marie thanked Jilly
  • IdaClaire
    3 years ago

And I actually have a recently-formed Playlist that I call "Kinda Country", which includes a lot of stuff by the Turnpike Troubadors. I used to say I detested country music, but I really like these guys and others in their genre. They're almost a mix of country and rockabilly/rock/blues, and I find them great fun.

http://www.turnpiketroubadours.com/

Tina Marie thanked IdaClaire
  • Lars
    3 years ago

Since I was president of the International Del Shannon Fan Club (at the request of Del Shannon himself) from 1965-1968, I have to say that "Runaway" is at the top of my list of classic rock favorites.

Tina Marie thanked Lars
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

oooh Faithfully should have been on my list. Chicago is a fav group too.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

I knew I’d forget one of my very favs: Chicago! We’re obsessed with Terry Kath, DH’s and my all-time favorite rock guitarist (and fav Chicago vocalist). I only like the songs they did with him. Someone did isolated tracks of his playing, and they‘re spectacular. Even Hendrix said he was influenced by Terry.

I’ve seen them in concert twice, but long after Terry died and Peter left. Robert Lamm is great, too, though, so it’s still a good show.

ETA: We love Steppenwolf and my dad has an original Easy Rider black light poster from when he saw the movie back then. He’s also hung out with Peter Fonda and John Kay (Steppenwolf lead singer) at various motorcycle and music events.

He took this picture of Peter years ago at an event (unknown guy on other side), it’s in his shop:

Poster, haven’t got black light up yet ...

And something funny ... I was at the Texxas Jam in ‘87, I’d just graduated ... was looking on this rock photographer’s site just for fun, and saw myself! Boston headlined, but this is during Aerosmith. I’m the blonde in white tank top, on the right, on my bf’s shoulders. The guy misspelled Texxas Jam. :)

Tina Marie thanked Jilly
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Lots of my favorites already listed, but I’ll try to mention a few others. My music lists are very eclectic. I didn’t like country music much and still don’t listen to a lot of the recent country singers. But I love the oldies...several of Johnny Cash’s old ones, Emmylou Harris (Easy from Now On, Wayfaring Stranger, etc), Vince Gill (Go Rest High, When I Call your Name, Whenever You Come Around, I Still Believe in You), Willie Nelson (too many to list), Loretta Lynn, Dolly’s music for the lyrics for sure. It’s hard to narrow down some favorites from some artists.

- anything by the Avett Brothers

- anything from Amos Lee

- Tom Petty

- Sheryl Crow

- Queen

- Lights and Faithfully (Journey)

- Southern Cross, Ohio, Woodstock (C,S,N&Y)

- Landslide (Stevie Nicks)

- Breath of Life, No Light (Florence & the Machine

- Mandolin Rain

- Midnight Rider

- Love Walks In, Jump, Eight Now

- The Wall and others (Pink Floyd)

I had better stop.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jinx, how cool!

Outside, I know, I could go on and on!! PS The Mr. loves Emmylou! She was on Grand Old Opry recently and he had to watch. :)

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

Tina, I used to be anti Country too but I now have a Country category on my Spotify playlist. It started with Lori McKenna, a local musician who has country leanings (I’m mildly obsessed with her) and my eyes have now been opened to people like Chris Stapleton and bands that are sort of in the middle of rock and country. I love, love Tedeschi Trucks band. Susan Tedeschi has such a great voice.

I‘m not a big fan of Bruce Springsteen but he comes to mind when I think of classic rock. Pink Cadillac, I’m On Fire, Thunder Road.

I used to love Fleetwood Mac. I played that Rumors album over and over.

Jefferson Airplane’s White Rabbit is one of my all time favorites.

Van Morrison — Blue Eyed Girl and Into The Mystic.

Also loved U2 (All I Want Is You, Beautiful Day) back in the day, and Jackson Browne (Stay, Doctor My Eyes). Have seen both in concert. Oh and Elton John. I love Elton John. Oh and I liked Boston and Van Halen and Foreigner. Once I got to college though, I was into more “new wave” like Flock of Seagulls, the Cure, Go-Go’s (I looooved the Go-Go’s!) and the B-52’s (ditto). I saw the B-52’s a couple times back in the ‘90s and just saw them play at Symphony Hall in Boston a couple of years ago. So fun.

DH is an old deadhead. His classic rock list would be headed by the Dead and The Band, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, etc... very different from my list!

Tina Marie thanked Sueb20
  • Allison0704
    3 years ago

We have been to so many concerts the last few years (pre-2020). Many we see over and over again, and always have a good time. We were suppose to see Chicago in 2020, but it's postpone to 12/2021. Fingers crossed.

I like almost any song by these artist, and have seen all the last few years.

Queen - saw in the 70s, and more recently with Adam Lambert singing lead in Vegas

Foreigner

Styx

Boz Scaggs

America

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Fleetwood Mac

ELO

Eagles

Franki Vali

Heart

Steely Dan

Steve Miller Band

KISS

ZZ Top

Have only seen these once, but great concerts and music.

Huey Lewis and the News

The Monkees (I hear you laughing!)

Sting - another postponed concerts, but have seen previously.

The Doobie Brothers

Pink Floyd, sadly only ones I did not see back in the day.

The Doors

Tom Petty

George Michael

Pat Benatar

Genesis , but did see Phil Collins and I was a huge fan in the 90s. My kids had to endure the tapes during carpool.

Cheap Trick - I Want You to Want Me

Tommy Shaw has a CD with a youth orchestra doing Styx music. I also like the newest Styx CD, The Mission.

B-52's, Love Shack

Katrina and the Waves, Walking on Sunshine

Robert Palmer, Addicted to Love

U2, With or Without You

Tina Marie thanked Allison0704
  • cawaps
    3 years ago

I'm a big Creedence Clearwater Revival fan. Love almost anything by Queen and the Eagles. Guns and Roses. Van Halen. Pat Benatar. Joan Jett.

Love 70s funk, which is probably too far afield of your request (Brick House, Superstition, Play that Funky Music).

Tina Marie thanked cawaps
  • yeonassky
    3 years ago

For some reason I absolutely love the song by Van Morrison called moondance.

The honeydrippers Sea of Love which I love as well and moondance are probably too crooning for you and not enough Rock. Still there you have it two of my sentimental favourites anyway.

https://youtu.be/6lFxGBB4UGU

https://youtu.be/sd8WUJ9uT3o

Tina Marie thanked yeonassky
  • aok27502
    3 years ago

Lots of mine have already been mentioned, but add:

Load Up and Stay - Jackson Browne

Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits

Anything Elton John

Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen

Tina Marie thanked aok27502
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    3 years ago

Lars! Runaway is my 16 year old gd’s favorite old rock song!! She has great eclectic tastes. 😄 So many above are loves of mine as well, but I can still get carried away howling along to old doo wops.

Tina Marie thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • User
    3 years ago

My favorite rock song will always be “Something in the Air” by Thunderclap Newman. If you ever went to a protest in the late sixties you will remember it 😎. I was in ninth or tenth grade. I loved and still love the Stones, Traffic, Cream.... all the usual suspects. Never cared for Bruce Springsteen and I still loathe country music. I’ve tried, but it sets my teeth on edge.

Tina Marie thanked User
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh yes, Bohemian Rhapsody! I also like some Springsteen songs. Kswl, I'll have to look up Thunderclap. I was born in the early 60's, so no protests for me LOL.

We went to alot of concerts in our dating years and I even tolerated some country concerts in our early married life, but do not enjoy concerts now because of the crowds and usually parking. We get some good ones here but just not my thing anymore.

Another favorite artist who is soooo far from country (told you my tastes run the gambit!) is Andrea Bocelli. Love him!

Thank you all for playing along!

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

The only country concert I went to, with mom and my sister, was Garth Brooks when he was suppose to be retiring. He ended the concert with American Pie. So good.

My sister is a huge country music fan. I swear we have zero things in common.

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

Almost anything by Rod Stewart, and so many more. Loved The Beach Boys when I was in high school.

Tina Marie thanked Ded tired
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Sueb20 I mentioned Chris Stapleton as one of the country singers (one of the few!) I like. Also Eric Church and he has a duet that I love with Susan Tedeschi. I will have to check out Tedeschi Trucks. Thank you!

• amykath
    3 years ago

I can't really choose songs but here are some bands/Singer songwrighters

Led Zeppelin

CCR

Fleetwood Mac

Queen

Radiohead

Pearl Jam

David Bowie

The Killers

Ryan Adams

U2

I could go on and on.

Tina Marie thanked amykath
  • jrb451
    3 years ago

Some of my favorite rock was when the band would link 2, 3 or more songs by a smooth segue. Sometimes it would be an entire album side.

Le Zeppelin II - Heart Breaker, Living Loving Maid

ZZ Top Tres Hombres - Waiting for the Bus, Jesus Just Left Chicago, Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers.

Bruce Springsteen The Wild, the Innocent and E Street Shuffle - side 2

The Beatles Abbey Road - side 2

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon - both sides

Todd Rundgren did this on many early albums

Tina Marie thanked jrb451
  • Allison0704
    3 years ago

David Essex - Rock On

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

Stealers Wheel - Stuck in the Middle With You

• nekotish
    3 years ago

Can't specify songs, but pretty much love anything by:

Elton John

Pink Floyd

Aerosmith

Eagles

Rod Stewart (excepting his disco era)

Eric Clapton

Dire Straights

Bob Seger

Bruce Springsteen

Fleetwood Mac

Tina Marie thanked nekotish
  • Oakley
    3 years ago

When my now 40 year old son listened to this group all day long in high school, I am officially their No. 1 fan.

Guns N' Roses. So that's who I've been listening to quite a bit lately. Today I had to go into town and while sitting through the drive-thru, Sweet Child O' Mine was playing. I turned it up full blast.

I'm a 60's and 70's girl, so most of that music is good.

Frank Sinatra's My Way gets to me every time.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

I’m a big AC/DC fan, love Bon Scott and Brian Johnson both ... DH found this hilarious comedian doing Brian Johnson (it’s old, but so funny):

• nini804
    3 years ago

I was in middle and hs in the eighties and had SUCH eclectic taste!

Rock:

Journey- (are they considered rock? My fav is one of their oldest songs ”Lovin’ Touchin’ Squeezin’”)

Dire Straits- from when I was younger, my favs are Skateaway and Romeo&Juliet💕

Boston-loved Amanda

Def Leppard!

Guns n’ Roses

But during the 80’s of course I also loved New Wave or whatever all those interesting bands from England were! 😂 Yaz is a less-well known one that I loved-Upstairs at Eric’s is an incredible album.

I went to college in the Mecca of music, the birthplace of probably my all-time fav band in general-REM. 💕 They were already big by the time I started college so I missed seeing them perform at the 40 Watt club, but my friends and I did see the entire band eating lunch at EuroWrap one Sunday. It took everything in my power not to fangirl...all I did was give Michael Stipe a meaningful smile on my way out. I am certain he thought I was slow-witted. 😂 I adore their older music the most...it’s just incredible. The B-52s were also from Athens and played at the stadium one time while I was there. Love Shack was SUCH a huge hit and what an incredible experience to see them perform it live. Drivin‘ & Cryin’ were also from the general area and I saw them several times at the Georgia Theater...Gawd they were good! Look up Honeysuckle Blue if you don’t know them, one of my fav songs of all time. Southern, alt-rock...💕

Oh, and re: country music-I used to HATE it! But all the teens around here go to these country concerts in the summer at the outdoor amphitheater. I have been the short straw & had to drive my dd & her friends several times. I brought a country music loving friend with me to keep me company the first time and decided it wasn’t so bad! Then I started listening to the Highway on my Sirius and REALLY became hooked! The songs tell amazing storie, so.much.heartbreak. I have often been moved to tears. And of course so.many.drinking.songs! 😂 My favs are Thomas Rhett, Morgan Wallen, Florida-Georgia Line, Sam Hunt! Thomas Rhett’s Die A Happy Man is such a sweet love song to his wife. 💕

• salonva
    3 years ago

No one has mentioned The Weight by The Band????

I will. :)

• frankginakay
    2 years ago

Nini.... Yes, the heartbreak stories of Morgan Wallen. He is a Southern strory teller AND I am addicted to his music! He is very East Tennesse Southern, which alot of people won't like, BUT I am a Texan and love every bit of his twang. LOL

• Faron79
    2 years ago

As long as it's "Money Talks" by AC/DC....played REAL LOUD....I'm good. 🤪😈

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Excited that concerts are starting up again. We’re seeing Blue Oyster Cult, Alice Cooper, and Ace Frehley … other TBD. :)

We did finally get a refund for the Stones concert last year. Hated to do it, we had great seats, but it was a lot of money to just sit there in Ticketmaster’s account.

• AbbyJoy
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I wondered if REM would be mentioned - best concerts of my life - I lived in Athens too. I'd love to see the Stones again *one more time*. Anyone know British bands James or Chameleons U. K.?

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022