SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Tomato starting "pots" that are peat or cardboard

l pinkmountain
3 years ago

Getting ready to do tomatoes right/correctly this year. Last year I just sowed them all in big pots because I had no idea on germination and also hadn't prepared. This year I'm going to save yogurt and cottage cheese containers and also use up some peat pots I have. That's for the larger plants before putting in the ground. However, at the seed starting stage, they are usually started in plastic "flats" of small cells. I have a few of those I can re-use, but I don't want to buy any new plastic stuff. Has anyone ever used cardboard egg cartons successfully? I have a TON of those. Also wondering about pre-made peat flats. How does one water them? I'm seeing online where they suggest watering from the bottom. Doesn't that do an awful number on the peat or cardboard pots? Do they hold up long enough?

I could just start them in the yogurt and cottage cheese cups I am saving and not transplant. Any disadvantages to that? A little messy and scattered would seem to be one issue but I could deal with that by packing them fairly securely in trays. I have both plastic and aluminum trays to use for that . . .

Comments (12)