SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momrules5831

Managing a Big Project

runninginplace
3 years ago

After a year's delay due to COVID, hopefully if all the permits come in we will be starting a major remodeling project in March. We live in a 2-story elevated house in the Florida Keys and on our second floor (living area) we are planning to remove/replace all the flooring. The previous owner just laid new tile over old tile so it's loose all through the house, and getting steadily worse. Of course since we are literally removing the base of every room, we might as well bite the bullet and gut/remodel both bathrooms and the kitchen too, all of which were remodeled on the cheap by the PO a decade ago; actually one of the bathrooms is the original kids' bath from 1982 with a 29" high vanity and tiny tub. It was a weekend home so he didn't go for quality and it shows. Since we hope to live here till the last to go is gone, it's worth it to us to do this and do it right.

Project creep and a surprise leak have added removing/replacing the tiles on large covered balconies at front and back; replacing the railing around the entire house and backyard and we may replace our roof as well. The upper level will probably be unlivable for 3 months or longer so we will stay downstairs on the ground floor which is a separate one-bedroom guest apartment...for which we feel incredibly lucky of course.

I have done all of the component projects in our previous house but over a looooong time frame, not all at once! I am definitely setting up a binder, since I've got quite a bit of stuff that isn't digitized (quotes, business cards, printouts of plans etc). I think I should either use Excel or some other budget software to keep track of expenses of course too. We have a contractor we've worked with before and trust very much but still I have to be on top of a zillion details.

So I would love to hear advice, warnings, and suggestions from all of you who have done similar big projects, or had houses built. This forum is filled with smart people so I know y'all will have valuable info, please pass it on!

Comments (10)