SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lwfromny

Yup, another paint color question!

lwfromny
3 years ago

Sorry got being another person asking about paint! I tried to find answer by searching old discussions with no luck. So here goes.

I am remodeling a family room/dining room/kitchen area. Imagine a ā€œZā€ with the long part straight up and down. The tip of the Z if the family room. The middle of the Z is the kitchen and dining room/eating area. The bottom of the Z is the living room. All areas are open t the adjoins areas, so they all need the same paint, except possibly the living room, but Iā€™m inclined to make it the same color as the rest.

The kitchen is in the middle and will have almost no wall color. The backsplash is a blue/green subway tile. The cabinetry and all of the trim in the house is BM White Dove. Most of the light comes from the north, with some from the west and one window to the east, and the house is surrounded by woods, so the light isnā€™t usually bright. The floors are a medium tone oak, with no red,
pink or orange-y color. The countertop is Mont Rhapsody, which is a warm marble looking quartz with grays and browns in it.

I need help with a wall color. I donā€™t want it to look pure gray, but Iā€™m open to a hint of gray. Iā€™ve looked at enough colors to know I want an LRV of about 70-75, and I need something that makes the White Dove look white, not yellow-y. I know White Dove is never going to be the most crisp white, but I want to get as close as I can. The problem seems to be that I want a very light color, but as I go lighter the White Dove looks more yellow. The colors that have looked good in my house with White Dove (Old Navy, Winterwood, Seattle Gray, Revere Pewter, Comfort Gray, Greyhound, and Dark Teal) all have lower LRV. I do have Gray Owl in the upstairs, which looks awesome on the north side of the house but I really dislike it on the South - it turns green and muddy there.

Iā€™m debating just using White Dove on the walls, but Iā€™m concerned that the lack of good, bright natural light will make it look dull if I use it as pretty much a whole house color.

In the photos below, the area with the fireplace is the fam room, the middle section with the windows is the kitchen (there will be no upper cabinets on this wall, and the opposite side of the kitchen will have cabinetry from the floor to the ceiling), and the room with the wainscoting is the dining area. The living room is off the dining room but I donā€™t have pictures of that.

Comments (12)