SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

Ah, 2021 ordering continues, and I've been bitten by the "designer rose" bug and have gone on a wee bit of a David Austin streak.
Though and thankfully other nurseries still provide Austin's roses via their registration name codes (AUS****), not all are available, and considering DAR's propensity to treat their varieties like disposable goods and eliminate varieties, I feel that I'd better start ordering any and all that interest me while I actually can.
So far, I have coming from DAR-USA:
-Princess Alexandra of Kent
-Bishop's Castle
-Harlow Carr
-Lady Emma Hamilton (2nd plant!)
-Fighting Temeraire
-Eustachia Vye
-Gabriel Oak
-Falstaff
-The Dark Lady
-L.D. Braithwaite
-Darcey Bussell
-Thomas à Becket
-Heathcliff
-Sophy's Rose (for my friend, not me)
-Huntington Rose/Alan Titchmarsh
I have a few others like The Lark Ascending, Tam O'Shanter, Sir John Betjeman, Jude the Obscure, and Benjamin Britten still sitting in my cart at DAR-USA, but I'm waiting to check out Palatine's offerings too!
My The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild (received mislabelled as Tradescant which I got the following year (and isn't as good compared to TIMF regarding vigour and general performance)) has been a real trooper. It's survived digging out my monster William Baffin, getting moved and upset, and suffered badly from winter 2016-2017. Looking again at a recent picture of it, it really is starting to fill out on the canes and it's this vigour and general will to grow that I need here up North. Hardiness is good too, but if the dang things don't grow, what's the point?
I have a thing for crimson roses (ESPECIALLY the bluers) with fragrance, so I basically ordered every single crimson Austin they still offer.
I already have Tess of the d'Urbervilles from 2020's season. It came from Regan's. It and JtO were a couple I had ordered way back in 2003/2004 when I was in highschool, and I remember them growing like gangbusters arching all over and blooming nicely too. Tess's scent reminded me of aged rose, crayons (an odd "waxy" smell to me), and a little something else while Jude was punch-my-nose fragrant. JtO smells intensely of grapefruit to me.
Othello is coming from Hortico, and I'd like to try Prospero (do not prune this one is something I've learned from a wonderful and knowledgeable rosarian on the Pacific Coast!), The Prince, and maybe The Squire if it's offered from Palatine.
If any do not succeed, it's better to have discovered so than forever wonder "What if..."
Steven

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm