SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hannah_wolfson93

Honed marble vs. quartz

Hannah Wolfson
3 years ago

Hi! I have a question to ask--for a friend. Literally! A friend's house was flooded and as they begin to work with their contractor on repairs they're also considering some changes. They love their kitchen but hate the upkeep on their marble countertops (installed by the person who sold them the house.) Here's how it looked pre-flood:

They are debating replacing their marble with quartz or possibly having their marble honed. They are working with a GC and have consulted with an architect but right now they're leaning toward not making any significant changes, just a few cosmetic tweaks and the countertop switch. So I thought I'd ask for your help with some basic questions. Like:

--Is honed marble easier to keep up with than polished? They don't know what kind of marble they have but they do say it etches and stains if you so much as look at it crosseyed. They're not really into patina, TBH.

--What about leathering? Is that more or less matte than honed? More or less "delicate," for lack oof a better term?

--Can they even do this to marble they've already had installed? It's been moved out of the house so they can re-install floors and re-do the cabinetry. She was half hoping it would break in the transfer...

--Should they just suck it up and shell out the $$ for quartz?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)