SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2catsandtheirmom

Please help me finish up this foyer?

2Cats AndTheirMom
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I hung this Thibaut wallpaper almost 2 years ago and have done nothing since then to make this foyer welcoming.

I think the foyer looks bare. I am not sure that is the right size table and lamp or even mirror. Maybe scale is off. These are 10 foot ceilings. That wall is 58 inches. I probably should have just painted the foyer and that would have been easier for me and I am horrible with patterns.

It needs some umph. Maybe a big plant. The paint color is BM Van Deusen BLue. Someone mentioned maybe I should go lighter on the furniture.

Also I have 3 other walls. The large one across from the mirror and the 2 small ones. Do I hang art on the wallpaper. I thought about a rug. I have photos of different angles. The is an open on each side. One room is living room and the other is dining room. Any suggestions appreciated. I have so many unfinished rooms. I thought I would come up with a plan for this one and then move on the the family room off of this one. It is a work in progress.

The wallpaper is coming off with a yellow cast in photo but it is white background. It is operator error.

Comments (83)

• everdebz
    3 years ago

If sharp colors, direction... this and others posted yes of course with mix of greens.

Green Throw Pillow Covers 16"x16" Cotton, Tropical Girl · More Info

Brown Art Silk 14"x14" Beaded Leaf Pillow Covers, Rain Forest · More Info

• Related Discussions

Please help me choose a foyer light...

Q

Comments (33)
    Is that a Kalco fixture? I looked at one in what I think it that same collection and loved it. The way it was hanging in the store reminded me of outdoor lanterns and I imagined camping and fireflies. Silly, I know, but talk about bringing the outdoors in! LOL It would be hanging in my breakfast room right now if it went with the kitchen fixture or I knew what to replace that one with. I suspect it may not be as large as your current fixture, but it has strong, simple lines and color, so I think it will still make a statement. The current one might be a bit too large for me anyway. I'd try to get measurements on that one if you can so you will have a better idea how it compares. If you want to hang it a little lower, you can probably order an extra down rod. I think it's worth pulling out the ladder and the measuring tape.
    ...See More

Please help me finish up my kitchen design

Q

Comments (6)
    First, let me say I am hugely not a fan of the open concept where kitchen, DR and living room are merged into one large space. So add in some windage for my bias against it. But perhaps my strong bias can also serve to illuminate two reasons why I would not shorten the wall: 1) Shortening the wall increases the problem of having the prime living and entertaining space exposed to the visual, aural, and aesthetic chaos that is a working kitchen. I think being able to be cook in a separate space from the sitting room is very valuable. 2) Shortening the wall will create a sense of physical exposure to a larger space when cooking. Walls, even partial-wall partitions, serve to enclose and shelter spaces, giving them a valuable sense of place within the building. Instead of having a room (albeit largely wall-less, but a defined space nonetheless) devoted to cooking, it will turn your kitchen into just a corner vignette of kitchen cabs and appliances. In the same way the LR will lose a valuable space-defining wall. Sitting rooms without a sense of enclosure lose their feeling of intimacy and take on more of an air of an airport lobby, IMO. Just my two cents worth. L.
    ...See More

Please help me find foyer and hall lights

Q

Comments (12)
    Completely understand, nice to have somebody else do it. I would personally feel slightly wary of making financial mistakes and so on without seeing the space at least drywalled to better visualize size. In my minds eye once you get your decor in and look at the selections you then might feel things aren't what they seemed as you envisioned and in reality how they look with your furniture/decor/paint selection(s) and the rest are in the room once you are done. I would keep a file of things you lean toward and wait :/ I know it's not easy and also is a pain to have your husband have to do the install. Then again, if you feel confident you know your furnishings well and all you could just go with your gut and take a small risk you aren't completely happy. It's an exciting time to have a new home built and I'm sure you want it near to perfect. Perhaps I'm WAY too particular and should relinquish some of the control over things as such (if it were me in this situation) and go with the hall and foyer light selections. That's as far as I'd go myself Caroline. You know your furnishings. I take it you own them already so know what style you are seeking and decor you will be using. The island pendants can be a bit easier as I'm sure you've done the math regarding spacing and how many you need over the island taking in to consideration the size light you've selected and the total size of your island. I hope I'm not sounding like Debbie Downer :/
    ...See More

Undersized Foyer light dilemma please help me choose a fixture!

Q

Comments (33)
    I think I have found a solution. I can’t find anything in the chandeliers or wall sconce lines that I really like or would mesh the two. I’m going to buy this fixture that is very discounted and switch out the shades with something like this and possibly dangle a few crystals from it. Then is will marry the glass sconces and the silver chandelier. It is appropriately sized and looks more like a foyer fixture imo. I also have a Casablanca ceiling fan in the middle of this room and plan to use the same type of crystal shades on its light bulbs.
    ...See More
  • 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I wanted you to see the entire open room - not sure I could do mural but I love them. My kitchen is on the opposite to fireplace.

This is before photo.

After - Refinished floors. added beams and they don't look so hot here but it is old tobacco barn wood and looks good in person. Definitely painting the fireplace all white. That mirror is gone

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

#everdebz - The top picture was a before picture when I ripped them out. The bottom photo is what it looked like afterwards. I put chests and mirrors there. I think that the rustic look of the brick does not go well with the look of the green sofas and where we might be headed with it.

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth - I love the white and I wish I had come on here before I invested in the furniture but I am going to save the pics and maybe go that route. I might be doing a room addition and could repurpose some of these things. I do paint a lot of things so I am not past painting them but I need to give is some time.

I might like the solid white cow hide to layer with. I have a black and white zebra but I can put it elsewhere.

I think I will go with some of the brighter pillows and try to fluff up the chests with the accessories. I really need lamps on those chests as it is very dark there.

As for the chandelier. I like the 2nd one and you see it would replace the pitiful white ceiling fan that has been here since we moved in years ago.

This photo below will be my inspiration for my study... I really want a bigger coffee table and think I will cover the ottoman in animal print and move it there. A lot of my pieces are universal and move around my house. I am not one to decorate and leave it for 20 years. I am constantly moving things. : )

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@everdebz I don't really care for peach colors or similar in my decor. I had too much of it in the 80's but it seems to be making a come back. The Nagar throw is lovely. In the fall, I might could work in that yellow mustard.

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. :I am crazy about this room you shared. I love the old table behind the sofa. Is this vintage style something I could make work for a coffee table if I could find something that old. I have a vision but I cannot put my finger on the coffee table just yet. Relaimed wood might look to farmhouse but this seems timeless to me. I love pieces that have lived before and have a history or story to tell.

This one is too big but it has a certain charm to it.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Thanks. Do you have a style name, and is it to be less dressy than the foyer?

That you said the foyer looks bare - can you tell what that means?

20 W x 20 H / Solid Mahogany Wood, Rattan ... makes me think of golden color in wp... jute rug.

Atalo Rattan End Table, Odessa · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

If the fp room changes, ornate mirror in foyer could be another mirror in a blue or grassy green frame? without blue paint ///

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

everdebz Out of those stools I like the rattan the best. But the brown garden stool, I love this style in chinoiserie. I like a brighter fabric for pillows and definitely gotta have animal print. I know I will need to add some side pieces in eventually. Priorities are pillows, throw, lamps, and coffee table, and definitely will be changing out that white ceiling fan and I like the fixture Beth posted.

To answer your question about my style? I am not sure what you would call my style. I am a bit of a traditional eclectic if that is a thing. : ) . If I REALLY love it, I buy it and try and make it work. The blue room that Beth posted with all the animal print. Now I love that and that is going to be the inspiration photo for my study I have not shown you. It is already painted a dark blue. (What would you call the blue room style?) I will reveal it when it is time to work in there but don't want to confuse myself and get distracted. lol . I have been really focused on the foyer and trying to tie it in to the great room which it is open to. I am okay painting that black table in my foyer. There is a running joke that my husband better watch out or he will get painted if he sits to long. I paint everything before I get rid of it to see if it can be repurposed. Even lamps.

To answer your question about what I mean about foyer being bare? I love the blue and green wallpaper and I hope I did not make a mistake and put myself in a corner and I need to learn how to work with it. It is a wow factor so I need to embrace that. Compare it to the old foyer that lived a wonderful 25 year life below. I have painted the entire house in the past year and a half (trim and windows to get away from the creamy beige trim).

So what started me on the quest to redo my house. I was standing in the foyer one day with my 29 year old daughter while she was visiting and asked her what she thought of my foyer. (the old foyer below). She replied "well it is fine if you were still living in the 90's." lol I finally started looking at it in a different way and a big snow ball or better avalanche was created. My daughter is a coastal artist and a minimalist / farmhouse style so all of this - not happening in her house. : )

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Your daughter did you a favor. Your entryway went from drab to fab due to her comment! You have soooo many great ideas here. I am not a pro (just a voyeur in the cheap seats) but continuing the dramatic blues and greens from the foyer into your already-green-couches living room seems like a great idea. And I agree the fireplace needs a crisp white at this point. I understand you don’t want to repeat the same room as your study, but the symmetry of the greens and string blues gives your house a distinct dramatic style. The heavier “farmhouse” wood pieces seem out of place here. There is a true elegance to the house and, like the fireplace being too rustic, I would avoid the farmhouse style choices.

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. : to answer your question. Can you do a chandelier over the sofa/ottoman seating area? I have needed one for years. It is located more over where that old gold sofa is in photo and now the 2 Pandemic Recliners reside. It is not quite centered in the room more towards the fireplace than the kitchen. Here is a pic of the old room before painting. That kitchen is being renovated and all cabinets coming out. So you can see from this angle it is a nice open room. I got rid of every thing you see except I kept that cool looking double rattan chair which is now in the study. The pine armoire is still there but maybe not for long. I have a bigger jute rug now also.

Below is my inspiration photo of my future kitchen... Hoping in next few months.. Not wanting to get off topic but just wanted y'all to see my changes coming up. The house is all open so it is difficult for me to tie all these 5 rooms together (foyer, great room, study, dining room and kitchen) I keep thinking it would be easier to move and find a home already finished. : ) May not do any lighting over island (but they are cool fixtures) since I would like to put a chandelier where the fan is located. My favorite is I love this island. I am trying to get in touch with the owner to see if the island is all stained dark or just on this side front side we see. I don't want a lot of dust collectors up on my cabinets like in the "old days" so I think these little nooks would be nice to display some chinoiserie or green pottery to pull from green sofas. The Right side will be fridge and left side would be same size 36" wide (coffee garage, stove underneath and drawers I think. So it won't match exact - cabinet for cabinet. Mine will be an 11 foot island. Counter Height like this.

Credit: Andrew Howard Designer for this beautiful kitchen

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@RedRyder Thank you and I totally agree with you. What is really shocking to me. Is looking at photos I took of my house before and I look back and go "What was I thinking?" I love green and blue - they are the grass and sky and I believe nature never goes out of style. : ) Just some tweeking now and then. For the study - i do have a white sofa in there, blue walls and a GREEN VELVET CHAIR - lol. It might not stay but I cannot get enough of it.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

I often tend to have different perspectives, but always like to offer other ideas just in case. There is a fine line before a room becomes too themed/overwhelming.

Hall: Traditional/specific chinoiserie vs elegant/modern - ie: velvet bench vs bright lacquered table. Before deciding on accessories, consider how you want the hall to feel and it will be a lot easier than buying a piece and trying to make it work. I also don’t think a sisal rug will do the hall justice; it’s just an easy choice, being solid. Take your time to get the right one and bring home a few to test (size and style)

Living room: Again consider whole room - light informal fireplace and dark more formal velvet. Try to achieve a combination to compliment both and look at lots of inspiration pictures. Aim for both modern/traditional and rooms should flow if they open onto each other - don‘t have to repeat color, only style. Inject color and pattern, but not overdone or themed. For instance, just adding a fake animal rug over your sisal provides layering, interest and a look, dresses up the sisal to better suit velvet but does not take over room. Art, accessories have a huge influence and can be simple.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

On another note, have you considered working with an interior decorator? Their fee can be off set by their discounts. They will get a feel for your style and needs and with redoing so many areas, will save you lots of time and mistakes, but more importantly provide a melding of rooms on this floor, but each room having its own personality. Good luck.

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi @Maureen Thank you for the great advice. I have considered that and think I will bring someone in soon to help with the kitchen design, fixtures to make sure we are flowing. Just trying to decide who. I do enjoy playing and painting and have made some expensive mistakes. I love the hunt for things. I am off to put another coat of paint on foyer White Dove by BM and will post when finished. I think it is making a BIG difference. I can already tell with first coat. I do think a rug is needed to lighten things up but this is where I will probably need help. In 20 years I have never put a rug in that foyer. I know, I am slow to move on things. : )

Also I do have a zebra rug lying around moving from room to room. : )

• Pauline G
    3 years ago

@Beth H. : Can you please provide a source for the simple beaded chandelier you added above? Thanks in advance!

• Maureen
    3 years ago

This wool rug is casual but elegant and comes in different sizes. Can be placed at front entrance or between doorways, as you don‘t want to cover too much of your beautiful floors

https://caitlinwilson.com/products/desi-rug-in-sky?variant=5995058692134&utm_source=pinterest&utm_medium=social

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like the Wilson and the bottom. I looked and a Wilson 4 x 6' could go across in front of the double doors but too small for in the center of foyer I think. I have a drop cloth I can play with and fold up in to a couple sizes to get an idea of best size .

On another note. Be still my heart! I have the first good coat white paint on the lower foyer wall and it is getting better and better and I am floored on what a game changer this little bit of paint is making. I don't feel as smothered with my pick of that wall paper any longer with the dark blue below and it pulls in the study beautifully. The white is so beautiful and certainly a game changer. It opens up the space and so much brighter. Thanks to everyone. I will post a picture when I am finished. I can't wait! Happy Days! : )

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ta Da.... Here is the finished product. That is a 5x7 drop cloth to lighten up the floor. Thank you again.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Nice, light, bright. And the door is fine in focus. But, maybe the mirror is too "heavy" now, on top of white... but I get it, you just now posted. :)

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@everdebz yes I am thinking that mirror might be the wrong thing. There is a blue one and a white one way up on their thread that I think @Beth H. :posted that might look good. OR I could paint this one with a spray paint.

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I don't know - once I put down a rug. I can see then.

• Barbara
    3 years ago

Whoa

• everdebz
    3 years ago

sizes idk, but I like that mostly the legs would 'show' [against jute]

Colorado Rectangular Cocktail Table. Carved inlay at corners. 4 sided stretche · More Info

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hey @Beth H. :I am just now seeing that green area rug. Really cool. I like it a lot. I think a gold coffee table would look good but I am concerned about gold and glass and feet propped up. I want something really sturdy but I also don't mind stone on top.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

L New,, now you can do a lacquered blue table against the white bottom portion!

You are doing a lot! I love greens and blues. they're my favorite. your kitchen will look beautiful next to the green sofa roof . You may want to hire a designer just to keep everything on track and help you decide.

Pauline, if you mean the gold and white bead, I'm not sure. Horchow has one very similar, Fabian.

and pottery barn teen has one

I like this Malibu chandelier too

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Beth - I do plan to hire someone for the kitchen and pull things together for me . I appreciate your help.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

The white on the lower section looks so much nicer! I love spending other people's money 😀 and think complimenting/pulling in the black door would be a good idea.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Your blue paint was perfect, and now that you've changed it to white, the beautiful mirror looks top heavy on the wall. Maybe you can make it work if you use a deep blue rug next to the doorway. I would look for one that spans the length of the double doors, and put it right next to the door, but is narrow enough to stop before the first entryways into your other rooms. That would also function better.

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am thinking that eventually my light fixture will go. It is old world looking. Nice choices.

Rug Size

I have a question on rug size for this room with green sofas. Please disregard that rug on top. It was placed by me for size reference. it is a 6'x9' and I do not like the way it barely touches the legs. I am thinking I either need a 5' x 7' to show the jute around sofas or 8x10 with legs on sofa. Again that jute is a 13' x 12'.

Also, I have these pillow covers went on old sofa. Do you like the 22" black and white or the animal print. I think the 24" x 24" animal print is a bit big for this sofa.

I had the black and white made on Etsy and was using them elsewhere.

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

calidesign I agree - the mirror is not working for me. I do like the white below chair rail. Hard to tell in person but it is so much brighter and just feels to flow better and I think it will be easier for me to work with. The blue in the study pulls the wallpaper in and looks nice. I might have to find that mirror another home - maybe bedroom.

• amuzyczka
    3 years ago

Love the crisp new look of your foyer now! I'd quit competing with the wallpaper for attention, though, and place a very simple demi lune table under the mirror but change out the light fixture to something simple in a brass or gold color. I would also possibly do a banded sisal rug. That wallpaper should be the star!

• calidesign
    3 years ago

I like the animal print pillows better with your sofa since the background color coordinates better with your chairs and the jute rug. Are you trying to add another rug on top of the current one? Imo you're better off using one rug, so you don't have a trip hazard and it's just a cleaner look. Either keep the jute or get another rug at least 8X10. Remember that you'll have a large coffee table or ottoman on top of the rug, so stacking a 5x7 on top of a rug and then adding the furniture isn't a good idea. You've got really great taste, and I love the green sofas. I hope you can find another home for the entry mirror. You don't have to get rid of everything ornate in order to update your space. It looks like it may work behind your sofa on the wall with the 2 entryways, which would reflect your light from outside.

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Calidesign.

I am kind of pulled toward the animal print pillow too since I have it. I love having universal things I can pull from one room or take to another. I use Etsy a lot for pillow covers and when I get tired of them, I fold up and pull another out and slip on insert.

My thought was to layer a rug but maybe I should not but if I do I will do an 8x10. I was trying to keep jute from wear and tear. My husband can tear up a rug with his feet. I don't know what he does but the entire rug will be pristine except where he sits. lol I do want to keep that jute rug because I do like the look with the sofa. Maybe I should get the coffee table first before I consider a rug. and I can also get my husband a bib for his feet to be on.

It is hard when you love your things and you start making changes and all of a sudden things are not all working. I am trying to repurpose and I may move that mirror to my daughters bathroom but you are right, that wall behind sofa is perfect as well.

Several people have recommended me getting an interior designer in here so I have one coming next week to get some constructive criticism and also talk about the kitchen that is in this large space.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Would you call the sofa emerald, or is it deeper like hunter green...

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@everdebz it is definitely emerald green. : ) Some times I question my sanity for getting them but I love green with the white walls and I am going to treat them like a neutral and change out accessories over the years. I won't get rid of my jute rug. I had it custom made for the room.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

I loved the foyer initially but it’s even better now. The whole space is much, much brighter and feels bigger. The wallpaper is still a “star”. Maybe spray painting the mirror will work.

2Cats AndTheirMom thanked RedRyder
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

Blue in wp still is connector with other rooms' blue.

Photo shows dark door. When seeing only color - a green like this would seem a modernizer [with the dark].

Bright I know.

Melanie Lime Area Rug 3'11"x5'7" · More Info

2Cats AndTheirMom thanked everdebz
  • 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@everdebz I do like that lime rug : ) If you look at the foyer when I put down that drop cloth the light color is nice. I will try to go on one of those rug sites where you can put the rug in your photo. I will look for the lime rug and give it a try.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Amazing [surprised].

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@everdebz I am not doing so well on my picks. lol I have made a few selections on Rugs-Direct and inserted rug but I don't like them enough to even show them. I will keep going until I hit the nail on the head..

• everdebz
    3 years ago

In fp room, I saw the temporary very light rug, and so I liked the light pillow. With jute rug, why not animal print's warm....

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Posting in case this is good, with new looks.

Novak Coffee Table · More Info

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you @everdebz. This photo is more my style but it is way too big and quite expensive. This dark one is 62" x 48" x 18" The 48" is too wide. Perfect size is around 50" x 40" or even a 40" x 40". It is a bit dark but I go for more matte. This is the Century FurnitureGrand Oak Coffee Table.

My sofa is 80" long. so way too big. I do have plenty of room though. I have seen it in person. You could practically sleep on it. I posted another I liked further up in the post .

I am looking for something that does not have the look of new but not farmhouse. It would be cool to find an old dining room table and cut it down to a coffee table but that has not happened so I keep looking.

I like the white one as well but it is only 30 inches wide. I am good with the style of the Century one but it is really dark so maybe the white or light paint color is best. I think I can get this table in a 40" x 40" in any color. There is a lot of space between the 2 sofas.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

If you need to see a rug in your own home to decide if it’s right, just buy the smallest size so it gives you the “feel” but is easier to return. Then you exchange it for the size you need.

• 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

oh great idea @RedRyder - thanks for the tip. That is especially a good idea these days since we cannot go in stores and touch and see everything in person.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Ok, mine was massive looking. Thanks for your I am looking for something that does not have the look of new but not farmhouse.

And that refers to the finish more so [than design] ?

2Cats AndTheirMom thanked everdebz
  • 2Cats AndTheirMom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It has too many geometric shapes for me but thank you.

• shoozyq
    3 years ago

Following and just want to say your home is Beautiful!