SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
annie1992_gw

What have you put up? 2021 version!

annie1992
9 months ago

Well, I get to start, I guess. All my preserving has to do with beef or cleaning the freezer for beef. We picked up nearly 900 pounds of processed beef today, dropped one beef half at my oldest daughter's house and another was delivered to a neighbor who buys a half every year. My freezer still got filled to the very top, but my youngest daughter is going to want hamburger, so that'll free up some space if we decide to buy pork from a neighbor. Right now, the freezer looks like this!

I took out last year's soup bones, made some more stock, canned 9 quarts of beef stock and 7 quarts of beef cubes, as well as 3 quarts and 4 pints of turkey stock from some turkey legs that I found hiding in the bottom of the freezer!

I need to make some raspberry jam and cranberry sauce and get some of the berries from last year out of there too, so maybe this weekend...

Annie

Comments (126)

• docmom_gw
    2 months ago

Oh, also a dehydrator full of basil, again. I have enough basil dried for several years.

Martha

• annie1992
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Martha, I'm having a great basil year this year too!

itscme, I'm finding Ball and Kerr lids at my local Meijer, limit of two boxes per customer. Fortunately, I stocked up last winter, so I have enough without scrambling.

Kate, I'll be starting hot sauce soon, but none of my peppers are quite ready yet.

Here I canned 14 quarts of pink half runner beans and another 6 pints of sweet pickles. Corn is just starting to ripen and I've gotten the first ripe tomato but no more. I need to can golden beets next, I think, and the cranberry beans are nearly ready to pick and shell.

Annie

• Related Discussions

2011 food preservation - what have you put up?

Q

Comments (115)
    Hey, guys! Long time no post. I didn't have a very good year for tomatoes, which form the backbone of my canning season, so I've been feeling a bit bummed. By the time I realized I wasn't going to get enough to can all the tomato stuff I wanted for the year, it was too late to buy a bunch at a decent price. I did buy a few late ones at an exhorbitant price just to be sure I could put up some of everything, but I also caved and BOUGHT six jars of Classico sauce when it was on a great sale last week. Felt like I had to look both ways to be sure nobody spotted me, LOL! I did put up lots an lots of applesauce. I usually do some, but this year our usual local orchard was hit by hail in August, with the result that they had fewer first-quality apples and lots and lots of seconds at $5 for a half-bushel, so I'm on my second half-bushel of mixed seconds for sauce. HOWEVER, I've done more freezing of veggies than ever before---this is my first full harvest season since I got my FoodSaver vacuum sealer! I didn't count it all, but I put up - strawberries (some plain and some with a little local honey) - corn---LOTS! - sweet peppers---I bought a 3/4 bushel and roasted about half, sliced & froze the other half in raw strips - squash---winter squash is practically free around here by November, and we got three ENORMOUS ones a few weeks ago; these I just processed this weekend, so I can tell you that I froze - 12 cups of puree (two more cups in the fridge to use this week) - 12 cups of raw cubes - 4 cups of partially cooked cubes (I found different opinions on whether it should be cooked partially first, including on threads here, so I did some of each and will see what I think). Boy, there was a lot of orange in my kitchen by the end of the session! I also didn't have any zucchini/summer squash this year---usually I'm freezing oodles of zucchini bread for winter breakfasts---so now I'm working on filling what room is left in the freezer with other fruit quick breads. So far I've found a banana muffin recipe I really like, and am experimenting with various apple breads, coffee cakes, and muffins. I made some squash muffins, and they're not bad, but I think I can do better. That's all. Just wanted to pop in and say hi and tell y'all what I've been up to! Happy harvesting, Zabby P.S. Dumbear, that green onion relish sounds excellent! I'll try it next year!
    ...See More

what have you put up in 2013

Q

Comments (150)
    Here are my totals to date: 7/9/13 - 10 half pts. strawberry jam (low sugar, Pomona pectin) 8/16/13 - 6 pts. strawberry lemonade concentrate 8/18/13 - 1 pt. peach butter (test batch - refrigerated only) 8/24/13 - 13 pts. jalapeño rings 8/24/13 - 5 pts. Roasted Tomato Garlic soup 8/25/13 - 9 pts. Roasted Tomato Garlic soup 8/26/13 - 9 pts. Roasted pickled red peppers 8/28/13 - 15 cups baba ganoush (frozen) 8/28/13 - 8 one & a half pints peach halves 8/30/13 - 12 pts. tomato sauce Going to have another go at peaches tomorrow. The first batch was rough going. I didn't start until 7 pm., and was kind of tired. I'm sure the peaches are edible, but they sure won't be winning any prizes at the state fair!
    ...See More

What have you put up in 2013? Page 2.

Q

Comments (48)
    I'm almost scared to post what crazy things I did this year. ;) I canned: 400 Quarts of Peaches 400 Quarts of Pears 70+ Quarts of Dill Pickles (No one even waits for the 6 weeks to be over before they start eating them) 35 Quarts of Bread and Butter Pickles (My cukes went nuts and I was desperate to find more recipes) 13 Quarts of Tri Pickles 10 Quarts of Tangy Dill Relish (Careful with the food coloring. Oopps) 150 Quarts of Pickled Beets 60 Quarts of Chicken Stock 60 Quarts of Stew 24 Quarts of Pasta Sauce with Meat 12 Pints of Peach, Pear and Apple Butters 6 Quarts Blueberry Syrup 60 Quarts of Corn 40 Pints of Peas 50 Pints of Beans 60 Chickens in the Freezer 2013 was first year gardening and pressure canning.... and I have a market size garden... and it seems nothing I planted failed... thought I'd never get done.. :) My husband works out of town and lives in his trailer and I have 2 sons with their girlfriends, my parents and of course us... totally covered for 5 months worth of preserves and all my hubby's foods were done and ready to eat. Took me 2 months of canning after work (I hardly slept) but I'm pretty pleased with my results and loving this life. :D What was shocking is once I divided it all up about 800 jars left my kitchen and I wasn't left with all the much. :) But that's okay... keeping my kids fed and healthy is the goal... but next season THEY WILL BE HERE HELPING MOMMA WITH THE PRESERVING. LOL PS Spending the winter catching up on my sleep!!! ;) This post was edited by diane5770 on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 0:41
    ...See More

What have you put up 2019

Q

Comments (229)
    Annie - we had a calf born yesterday at some point. I'm going over there this morning to check it out and take some pictures. Not sure if it's a boy or girl yet. We may need to bottle feed it with milk replacer until the mother starts producing milk. Our other 6 cows should be calving sometime in the next few months. Luckily for the calf the weather is and will be mild. It was in the low 50s yesterday and we are supposed to be in the upper 50s and low 60s all of this week. If the calf was born during the snowstorm last weekend it might have had a hard time. Hopefully the weather will be mild when the other calves drop. Question for you. How old should heifers be before they are bred the first time? We have 2 that are 14 and 16 months old now. Right now they are in a different pasture from the bull along with our 4 steer. Edit : I went over to check out the calf this morning. We threw some feed in the trough to bring the cows up to the fence. All of them came up except the new momma and the calf. They stayed about 75 yards away but the calf did stand up and then they both moved off even further away. The calf looked healthy and was jumping around and even running a little. They are so fun to watch when little! All we could tell is that it is mostly black with some white on its face. Going back over this afternoon and we will go in for a closer look and watch to see if it's feeding yet.
    ...See More
  • docmom_gw
    2 months ago

My first two quarts of tomato sauce canned, using my new strainer to remove seeds and skins. Also, two dozen more ears of sweet corn in the dehydrator.

Martha

• docmom_gw
    2 months ago

More dehydrated sweet peppers, first batch of dehydrated green beans, and dehydrated Black Cherry cherry tomatoes. My tomatoes are about to start ripening faster than I will know what to do with. I need a bigger freezer, if only to freeze tomatoes during the week, so I can deal with them on the weekend.

Martha

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I've been very lazy about preserving, and gardening in general, this year. I froze about 8 lbs. of green beans in July and froze about 12 lbs. of whole tomatoes so far. Also froze a couple heads worth of broccoli florets back in May.

My sweet peppers are starting to ripen so I need to get on the ball and freeze some. I should also either dehydrate and/or freeze some of my onions in the near future.

I did contribute to some friend's preserving. They had a deluge of ripe tomatoes that they wanted to turn into Annie's Salsa but didn't have any flats and couldn't find any at the stores. They refused to pay the $10+/box that people were selling them for on Amazon. I gave them 2 boxes of regular mouth flats and 2 boxes of still shrink wrapped pint jars.

It seems going to the lake nearly every weekend and putting up garden goodies isn't working very well. I am contemplating down sizing my garden next year. Weeds also took over several of the beds that got vacated early after harvesting onions, garlic, broccoli, and beans.

At least I have 'put up' about 50 lbs. of crappie, catfish, and white bass so far!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Jack, freezing fish is still preserving and a lot more fun than hoeing! Our pond is in the front yard, so we don't freeze any, we just go out and catch them as we want them.

Here I'm still gardening. I have 250 heads of garlic hanging in the pole barn getting dry and cured and the horseradish looks good, so I'm optimistic. I put 8 quarts of sweet corn kernels in the freezer yesterday and two gallon bags of Aspabroc in the freezer today. I canned 21 more quarts of pink half runner beans last week and I'm finally done with those and I finally started pulling up cucumber vines, I just can't deal with any more of those!

I'm just starting to pick the first ripe tomatoes and the peppers are not ready yet, so salsa is a few weeks off.

I did have my new bull delivered yesterday, so it looks like I'll be raising beef for a couple more years. He's still trying to figure out the fence lines and figuring out how he fits in here with my bossy cows and that big useless buggy horse. He's never been in pasture with a horse before and I don't think he quite knows what a horse even is, LOL. My oldest granddaughter has already named him. Cash. (grin)

Annie

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)
    2 months ago

I canned 14 pints of diced tomatoes last week. I'm not sure where I'm going to put them. My shelves runneth over!

Every time I go to the store I look for canning lids/flats. I haven't been able to pick any up. Thank goodness I had a stash, but I'm totally out of regular size. The tomatoes last week had to go in wide-mouth jars. Not my preference, but I was glad I had both the jars and the flats to match. It took both my regular canning pot and my pressure canner to get those all processed.

Jack - Having a freezer full of fish is a good thing. I'm a bit envious.

Annie - I love the new bull's name.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Annie - congrats on the new bull! We have a 'loner' bull right now but it is over in the other pasture with my buddies son's cows. After the cows cycle a couple times we will bring it over to our pasture this fall. We may end up buying this one or a different one.

I'm glad you are finally getting your horseradish to grow. This is the second year since you planted it right? If so you should get a good harvest in the fall. Both of my little HR beds are doing well too but the Japanese Beetles have been nibbling on it. It doesn't seem to hurt it much but it looks bad with lacy leaves. I'll dig it up in November like usual.

My brother is freezing sweet corn like crazy now. Last time I talked to him he had put up over 40 quart bags and was still picking his 2nd stand out of 3. He's going to bring me a cooler full when he visits in early October.

Margi - I hope you can find some more flats soon. If not, I have a few boxes left that I can send you. I won't be using them this year and surely I can find more over the winter months.

I gave away some of the fish that we've caught but I think I still have about 20-25 lbs. left. I kept all of the crappie because we like it best. White bass is a close second. I want to try to find the walleye some time this fall. I've caught a few in our lake on occasion but have never really been able to pattern them.

• canfan
    last month

I found a good trade canning jars for FRESH pickling cucumbers. I'm on the last couple days of a 14 day chunk sweet pickle. I'll probably never have to make another batch... It's in a 4 gallon bucket and I ended up with 10 quarts of chunked up pickles... It was my step mothers recipe. I also made Grandmother's Golden Relish with the cucumbers: 17 half pints will last years.... but will send some to the kids. I generally make Zucchini relish but may not this year.... but will probably change my mind when I'm gifted good sized zucs. I am hoping to can up a bunch of salsa but the tomato's are slow to ripe. We have been engulfed by a local fire that started 8/1... today we have clearer sky's but the fire remains at zero percent containment. Hope everyone is having a productive Harvest.

• CA Kate z9
    last month

I found a large bag of very large Hatch Chilies at Trader Joes. Today I charred, cleaned off the charred skin, shrink packaged, and froze 7 Hatch and 2 Pablanos for future use. I used the FoodSaver bags that are serrated into two sides for each bag so each chili got it’s own package.

I still have two chili bushes full of smaller mild-hot peppers. I had good success making a very nice hot sauce with these chilies, so just may do that again.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last month

Interesting Kate. I've never seen that type of food saver bags. I can see where they would be useful for small portions at times. Now I must go online shopping!

• docmom_gw
    last month

11 pints canned tomato sauce and 9 trays of mixed sweet and jalepeno peppers are dehydrating.

Martha

• docmom_gw
    last month

11 more pints of tomato sauce and another full dehydrator of sweet peepers. I think I will be living on salsa and pasta sauce.

• canfan
    last month

28 pints of Anne's Salsa in the Pantry. :) Will have some peppers to pickle next week. Will use a mix of peppers, onions and carrots.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    last month

canfan, I hope that fire is under control now, that's scary stuff.

Jack, fish in the freezer counts, and walleye is one of my favorites, even more than bluegill, although my absolute favorite is lake perch.

Here it's been hot, we've had three power outages in the last two weeks, the garden is going crazy and I just keep canning. 30 quarts of corn in the freezer, along with 13 quarts of kidney beans and 32 quarts of cranberry beans. A dehydrator full of zucchini got sprinkled with seasoned salt and dried. I canned 14 quarts of Readinlady's Tomato Basil sauce for pasta and 8 pints of Chase's chile sauce. I put 4 half pints of biquinho peppers in the fridge as refrigerator pickles, but I need to can a batch, as well as a couple of canner's full of pepperoncini.

I love to see the jars on my pantry shelves, though, this is the Tomato Basil Sauce, looking pretty, LOL.

I finally got all the garlic cleaned and dried, next step will be to peel it, dehydrate it and then store it as powder. Yes, that's a milk crate full, it should last all year, even after I keep 250 cloves back for replanting...

I don't think we'll run out of beans either!

Tomorrow? More tomatoes!

Annie

• docmom_gw
    last month

I’m losing track. More plain tomatoe sauce in pints. Another dehydrator full of sweet peppers. Just finished 8 half-pints of pickled pepperoncini peppers. Now a dehydrator full of pepperoncinis and jalepenos.

• CA Kate z9
    last month

I can't imagine why I have all these packages of frozen fruits. I found way too many when cleaning out the freezer on Saturday and decided to, once again, make jam. Peaches, blueberries, black cherries, apriums, figs, raspberries, plums, and even a carton of citrus slices in water from a summer water pitcher. All went into the biggest pot I have to be cooked down, strained and made into jam. I added in cinnamon sticks, vanilla beans, a few cloves..... what else?

This time it's all canned and sealed and so can be shelved instead of frozen. Not the best I've ever made but still good enough that I won't be embarrassed to give a jar away.

• HU-939938193
    last month

19 qts of vegetable soup ,; potatoes, tomatoes , onions , okra , carrots and southern peas.

Always a good way to end the summer garden.

And it's versatile. Can add other things to it after opening the jar like meatballs , other vegetables like green peas , corn .... Perfect for a cold winter night.

OkieHU

• booberry85
    last month
    last modified: last month

After enduring the wild jungles of Spafford and having to build bridges across the mighty river, all the time keeping a lookout for natives, I managed to forage the wild Concord. Ok, maybe that's a little exaggeration. I did have to cut down a lot of goldenrod & buck thorn. I did have to put a couple of palates across a drainage ditch to get to the grapes. The grapes are technically on someone else's property. I was maybe 10 feet onto their property, but they're friends of ours and the area is on the edge of some woods that are unkept. Grape jam is back! I had maybe a four year hiatus from making grape jam. We needed to get some drainage work done in our yard, so the grapes were sacrificed. Now they've grown back. Yay!

• l pinkmountain
    last month

I focused on tomatoes this year. Salsa, bruschetta, antipasto, crushed, seasoned crushed, seasoned sauce, hot sauce. Lots of relish, which I don't like: picalilli, fennel (that one is good but even a half recipe made more than I'll eat in five years), bread and butter and dill pickles. Pickled jalepeños. I'm still ruminating on creative ways to preserve a whole lot more jalepeños. The only jams I'm planning on is one recipe of carrot cake jam, and one of apricot chutney. Other than applesauce, I'm canned out. Oh, and I also froze a small amount of green beans. Hope to do more freezing next year but won't do it unless we get a backup generator . . .

Not sure what I'll do with the Italian style peppers I grew. I'm thinking of grilling them and then freezing them, not sure on the quality of them. It would be for pizza topping. I have bought commercially frozen chopped peppers and they are "meh" at best.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    last month

Boo, it's grape jelly time here too, I haven't made it in a couple of years, but this year the grape vines were very generous!

Last weekend I canned 18 pints of pickled pepperoncini, it's a favorite of my son in law and so his daughter (my granddaughter) helped make Dad's peppers:

A lot of canning and freezing was done this week. 14 quarts of crushed tomatoes, 9 pints of Chase's chile sauce, 10 half pints of grape jelly, 18 pints of golden beets, 9 pints of cabbage/beet relish, 9 pints of pickled beets went into jars. The freezer currently has a quarts of late raspberries and 17 Big Bertha green peppers on trays freezing. 30 pounds of cabbage is fermenting into sauerkraut in the back room. 75 red onions are "curing" in the garage and another 50 sweet onions are drying out in the pole barn. My counter looks like this:

One jar of jelly didn't seal and so that will be on tomorrow's toast. One jar of chile sauce didn't seal either, so I need to either freeze it or use it up. Tomorrow I'm canning the carrots and biquinho peppers and planting my fall lettuces and turnips in the hoop houses, so maybe sloppy joes would be a convenient supper.

Happy Canning!

Annie

• l pinkmountain
    last month

So you freeze peppers Annie? Any secrets/tips? I want to freeze my Italian ones for pizza topping.

• party_music50
    last month

Wow, this is a fun forum! Annie, thanks for posting that Italian Sausage recipe! Can't wait to try it. lpink, be aware that some elderberry likes to run and you'll have to fight the birds for the ripe berries. :p

I've been unable to can anything since I ran out of lids last autumn, but I did score one box recently, so I'll use them for wild grape jelly and maybe some salsa. It's been a really bad gardening year here -- we had too much rain for months and the mosquitoes are unbearable!!! I don't remember if I even froze any of my rhubarb, but I did pit and freeze 4 quarts of cherries. The squirrels got nearly all of my beautiful peaches this year. :( My blackberry plants are LOADED with berries, and I've frozen several quarts already, but the mosquitoes are so bad that I'm having a hard time picking them. I blanched and froze my garlic scapes because I love to add them to omelettes/eggs and soups. I've frozen lots of hot peppers for pizzas. And with no freezer space left, and only that one box of canning lids, I need to figure out what to do with all the apples I have coming now. :p It's clear that I need to start using that dehydrator I finally got. lol!

• booberry85
    last month
    last modified: last month

Party Music 50, I believe you're in the Syracuse, NY area? There's a couple of places you can try for jars & lids. Both would be a little bit of a hike (an hour to 1 1/2 hour) There's The Olde Kountry Market on Route 5 in Vernon, NY. You could only pick up 1 bag of lids, but there's 20? 25? in a bag. There's no limit on canning jars. I picked up 3 cases of 1/2 pints this weekend. They still had the lids as of Saturday. Their canning supplies are at the end of a row at the back of the store.

Sauders on River Road in Seneca Falls has canning supplies too. Might be worth it to call them before going. I went about a month back and they still had a good supply of canning jars - not sure about lids.

Both places are fun Mennonite grocery stores.

• party_music50
    last month

Thanks, booberry! I have been to the Olde Kountry Market! Great idea, because they may also have other things I've been unable to find... like barley and tapioca starch! and I'm sure there's more....

• annie1992
    Original Author
    last month

No secrets, L, I just wash them, slice them up, spread them on sheet trays and freeze. Then I scrape them off into ziplock bags. They aren't good for eating fresh, of course, but they are perfect for the Philly style sandwiches, pizza topping, adding to chili, etc.

PM, take that trip. It's canning season and canners gotta can, can, can, can, can.....LOL. or send me an email, I have a few extra...

Annie

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last month

Just noticed I pinkmountain’s comment about elder bushes. Elder is a ubiquitous wild plant here and I gather the flowers and fruit from the local countryside. They self seed in town and country and I’ve never come across anyone planting them intentionally. Next wild harvest for me will be Sloes for gin. Wild blackberrying is ongoing.

• l pinkmountain
    last month

Have not been able to get the elderberry planted. I also see it everywhere around where I live in the ditches . . . just haven't gotten to that area of the yard yet. I have a big lot and it needs a lot of work. Right now focusing more on areas nearer the house . . . plan on working outwards if I can ever get there!

Hubs and I planted a huge tomato plot this year at the local community garden. It kept us WAY too busy and the ratio of tomato pulp to effort was low. A combination of diseases and growing unfamiliar and not-the-greatest tomato varieties. Plus the conditions at the community garden were less than optimal. Then I see bushels of tomatoes on sale on FB for pennies on the dollar to what time and money and effort I put in on mine. The fungus treatment alone could probably buy me all the tomatoes I could put up in a year. Then we got TWO power outages right in the middle of canning season, and my camp stove conked out due to the gasket failing . . . I put up a lot of tomatoes but it was time consuming and energy inefficient. Lessons learned.

• party_music50
    last month

Thanks, Annie, I'd love to take that trip! There's also a great orchard about half-way! My sisters like to make it a day trip to the Olde Kountry Market and stop at all their favorite places along the way. I remembered that I also need pectin to make a batch of hot pepper jelly so that I can make those Rick Rogers cheese cookies! Although, I'm considering trying a pectin-free batch. Have you or anyone here ever made a pectin-free pepper jelly? I found many recipes and they each used a different amount of apples for the natural pectin, varying from 1 apple to 3 lbs. lol!

floral, elderberries can still be found in the wild here too, but I wanted my own -- much larger berries and less competition from nature. I planted Adam and John, and, if I remember correctly, Adam is the one that likes to run. lol!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    29 days ago

L, the cheapest I've seen tomatoes here is $12 a half bushel, or $35 a bushel for heirlooms. That's if you can find large amounts, mostly they are being sold for $4 a quart or by the pound. I was fortunate that I didn't need any fungicide or such for my tomatoes at all. I saved the seeds from last year and started my own plants, so time but not money. I mulched with the old hay left in the hay feeder, no extra cost but more time. I've canned enchilada sauce, pizza sauce, chili sauce, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, crushed tomatoes, salsa, tomato marmalade. I figure I've used about 3 bushels of tomatoes, so that would have been about $75 to buy, but no time to plant or maintain. But I LIKE to work in the garden, so I don't count it as time lost, it's calming for me, good for my stress levels!

I've given away a couple of bushels, sold some to the B&B across the street and have about a bushel sitting out on the picnic table. I'll pick some more tomorrow. And, yeah, we've also had power outages. THREE of them, more than we've had in the total 8 years we've lived in this house, and all within a single month, geez.

PM, take that trip, it's the perfect time of year. And enjoy it!

This weekend I canned 12 pints of salsa and 17 half pints of tomato marmalade, as well as 6 quarts of grape juice. The rest of the time was spent skimming the scum from the sauerkraut, LOL.

Annie

• party_music50
    29 days ago

I haven’t been able to make the trip yet, but hope to later this week. In the meantime, I’ve been experimenting… I made a 12oz jar of candied jalapenos that are supposed to sit for 4 weeks before eating, but I tasted the juice and think I will love them. Then I made a quart of spiced apples — yum! I think they’ll be awesome added to apple or berry desserts. And, most important, I’m out of my homemade hot pepper jelly (for cheese cookies) and don’t have pectin either, so I made a test jar of pectin-free jalapeno-apple jelly yesterday and it came out great! The fridge is filling with little batches of stuff, but that’s normal for me. :)

• booberry85
    29 days ago

Its generally been a wet summer around here. My tomatoes were a bust, but the blackberries and peaches loved the wet warm weather! The fruit on my peach tree finally ripened so I've been canning everything peach! They're not the prettiest peaches so I've been making lots of jams and sauces. Here's the list: Peach bellini jam, Peach blackberry jam, Peach bourban jam, Peach melba jam, Peach habanero jam, Peach fondue (sundae in a jar), and Peach rum sauce. I still have more peaches! I already did another round of Peach blackberry jam. I didn't make any straight up Peach jam or Peach BBQ sauce because I still have them from last year. I'm planning on doing another round of Peach rum sauce and possibly the Peach Habanero jam (I still have lots of habaneros). After the peaches are done, I think I can put away the canner and start thinking about making cookies for Christmas!

• party_music50
    26 days ago

ugh! I am reminded of the year we had bad lids. I lost all of the peach jam and most of the pickles I had canned that year due to the lids failing after they had seemed to seal properly. And it wasn't just me -- my sister had most of her lids fail that year too, and she had to toss so much more than I did. :(

• booberry85
    26 days ago
    last modified: 25 days ago

That's so disheartening Party Music. By the way, as of yesterday, the Olde Kountry Market still had lids and half pint jars (maybe quarts too). The lids are a bag of 36 and say they're Ball lids. They are $9.99. I've never had an issue with their lids they've sold in bags.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    25 days ago

Still canning here, I have peaches ripening on a table in the pole barn and I added 6 half pints of pickled biquinho peppers and 7 quarts of beef stock to my canning list.

Annie

• booberry85
    25 days ago

I canned another round of peach rum sauce last night. I plan on making a peach pie tomorrow so that might do it for the peaches. Ironically after scavenging for jars and lids for a year, I have some left! I may make another round of apple pie jam.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Boo, my peaches aren't pretty either, and I'm also thinking of peach pie. Great minds thinking alike again, LOL.

I canned 9 pints of peach salsa and another 7 quarts of crushed tomatoes, I'm getting pretty tired of tomatoes. 2 quarts of raspberries in the freezer for winter jam making and 8 quarts of beef stock from scraps and bones I've been saving. Now I need to make freezer space for those 26 chickens that will be just about the right size in the next week or so.

Annie

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

My garden is kaput except for the peppers. I need to chop and freeze some of those for cooking over the winter.

My brother from Wisconsin is coming for a visit next week and is bringing me a portable freezer full of off the cob sweet corn. I will give him some hamburger in trade. He's also bringing me 20 lbs. of mixed potatoes of which he grows way too many.

We have an appointment on October 19 to take a couple steer in to be processed at the Amish butcher. I will be getting 1/3 of the two beef. I've been working on using up what's in the freezer to make room.

• docmom_gw
    17 days ago

I made a gigantic batch of green tomato salsa, using up the last of my jalepeno and garlic, as well as a ton of green sweet peppers and onions. Lime juice for taste and acidity. Thirty half-pints, since I was running out of larger jars. It will make nice gifts.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Jack, better get that freezer cleared out! I won't have beef this fall, I have one steer for next fall, but I'm optimistic. Hopefully that new bull will do his job (or has already done it!) and I'll have three calves about May next year.

Docmom, I have tomatillos which are not quite ready, I may have to make some green salsa from those, or some green enchilada sauce, or both. The weather has been very strange and it's still in the 70s during the day, the 40s at night, no frost yet and I still have a lot of tomatoes. I look forward to them all year and now I'm tired of them, LOL.

I canned 14 quarts of sauerkraut and put the last quart in the refrigerator, unprocessed, for fresh use. It was nice and white this year, we made it from 3 heads of Late Dutch Flat cabbage, they were huge!

I still have leeks to dehydrate, as well as hot peppers to deal with. Some of those will be dehydrated and ground to powder, others will be hot pepper relish. After that, I have greens to can. Those chickens will be processed on Friday, packed on ice overnight, then packaged and frozen on Saturday.

But first, I have apples that I need to dehydrate, or make into sauce, or maybe make a pie. Or all of the above...

Annie

• canfan
    11 days ago

Green tomatoes Chow Chow, Green Pepper Jam, Pepper and Onion Relish have all been put up at my place these last couple of weeks. Have buckets of peppers and green/red tomatoes on the porch.... I'm going to make a green/hot pepper hot sauce and salsa verde. Looks like the color green is the theme .... for now. Tonight could be the big freeze.... not sure I'm sad about that.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Still no frost in sight here, so the peppers are still waiting for me. We put 168 pounds of chicken in the freezer. 8 were whole birds for roasting, the rest we cut into "parts". I used some of the backs and necks to make a big batch of stock, which I then canned. 5 quarts of chicken stock added to my pantry!

I also found some red cabbage for $1 a head, and so bought a couple of heads and made 15 pints of Peppi's Spicy Red Cabbage.

Tomorrow I'm starting on apples and hopefully I'll get the peppers picked, if it's not raining too hard.

Annie

• party_music50
    7 days ago

Wow, Annie, I don't know how you do so much every day! And you "process" so much food!!! Although, I know from other posts that your pantry is sometimes 'shopped' by your kids, so that's all good. lol!

No signs of frost here either. Yesterday they were saying on the news that we're having unusually warm weather (by at least 10 degrees) and very little sun. As a result, the autumn color will be poor this year.

I wish I could find red cabbage here!!!! I want to make sauerbraten.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    5 days ago

PM, somehow we have no trouble using up my canning projects, with the exception of jam and pickles. I always have a lot of those that just get old and become chicken snacks or food for the Orioles. I would have trouble using up the stuff in the freezers, except the kids shop those too. I have two girls and Elery has 4 kids, and we have 12 grandkids between us, so family visits from either side always seem to end with "before we go, do you have any of that peach salsa/applesauce/pickled beets/etc?" Oh, and eggs. They all want eggs!

I do try to plan meals around what is in the freezer and pantry, and don't buy much at the grocery except dairy products, paper and household goods and cat litter.

Annie

• party_music50
    13 hours ago

Annie, you're so lucky to get red cabbage at $1/head!!! Red cabbage is scarce here this year. I got some for a sauerbraten dinner I made last night and I had to look in four stores before finding a head -- at $2.99/lb and it's NOT organic. :p

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    12 hours ago
    last modified: 7 hours ago

About to get started on the sloe gin for Christmas.

• party_music50
    8 hours ago

I’ve never had sloe gin and had to research to know that those are sloe berries. Very cool. I make lemoncello and creme de menthe (yum!), but I’d love any recipe using elderberries, blackberries, or cherries. :)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 hours ago

Strictly speaking, being a Prunus species, they're drupes rather than berries. They have a single pit rather than seeds. This was last years’s.

• party_music50
    7 hours ago

Ah I just skimmed this article that called them berries. Sloe gin

It does look good, Very festive for the holidays.