LOVE SONG

Comments (132)

• Diane Brakefield
    6 months ago

Blueberry Hill didn't like it either. Diane

And then there's Blue Bayou.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 months ago

Diane, your Heirloom looked pretty spectacular before it met up with Mr. Shovel

Your 2 Blues are gorgeous as well.

Did they meet the same demise ?

Good thing that you have plenty of fabulous roses that seem to love your climate.

• Related Discussions

Suggestion for an Outstanding Plum/Purple/Lavender Color Rose?

Q

Comments (19)
    I am a west-coast rose grower and would recommend one that I grow, the floribunda "Love Potion." It fits your width restriction, has glossy, disease-resistant foliage and gives plenty of fragrant, lavender blooms. (re: real blackspot -- that shouldn't be a problem in your area, but it resists that too) I will put a link to the HelpMeFind description, and you can click on the photos tab for more pictures. Heirloom Roses does carry it and you might check with Armstrong too: Here is a link that might be useful: Love Potion
    ...See More

Show your Roses by color: Lavender and Purple

Q

Comments (74)
    Suncoastflowers, where did you get 'Moonlight Magic'? I only ever find it as a body bag ( and only ever late in our bareroot season) and my most recent try shows no sign of breaking dormancy. I think I need to stick to potted plants!
    ...See More

Time for Mauve, Purple and Lavender Roses

Q

Comments (54)
    tammy, I meant to say earlier what an outstanding example of Quicksilver you have and how beautifully it complements your house/shutters. Absolutely charming. I hope mine will do as well. I wanted to say that here in lime country Basye's Purple is doing pretty well even in a slightly shaded area. I hope to get cuttings for a sunnier spot, but it's a rose I can forget about and it seems to do fine. Here Munstead is never red. When it's very hot and sunny it's more of a fuchsia.
    ...See More

ORANGES/APRICOTS: 2021 Color Threads

Q

Comments (65)
    Carla, oohh la la ,Cherry Brandy What a beauty! Paly, your Jolie is a stunner. I have a baby Jolie and havent seen a bloom yet so seeing yours is pretty exciting. Chris, At Last is new and l got one flush and laughed because it took so long to bloom that I figured that that was how they got the name. I had decided that it should go but then in the late summer it bloomed and it was beautiful. The bush is small and nicely shaped and the blooms are small but beautiful. There is something about it that I really like.
    ...See More
  • librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    6 months ago

These lavender roses are so gorgeous. I'm dreaming of my new lavender bed now. Many of these were on my wishlist but now I'm also seriously considering Heirloom. @Diane Brakefield your photography could be used for marketing every lavender rose ever. Even ones you removed look gorgeous.

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw your Plum Perfect looks so...perfect! I'd plant this in a heartbeat if only it had good moderate fragrance. How long have you grown it?

If I weren't on my old persnickety phone I'd go through and comment on everyone's photos. These are so beautiful.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Love your Violet’s Pride, Plum Perfect and Heirloom Kristine! Diane, your Blueberry Hill is gorgeous! And I agree with Kristine, your Heirloom is beautiful!

6 months ago

Librarian, last spring I planted my lavender and white garden with two pink roses snuck in there but mostly lavender roses

So Plum Perfect was planted last April or May

I also have Violets pride, Quicksilver, lavender Veranda, Blue For you and Love Song.

So, I have lots of other really fragrant roses. Plum Perfect is close to the very fragrant Pope Paul 2

To me the color of plum perfect is worth it

• Mrs Teakettle z9
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

This is Lyda Rose - edged in light lavender. This rose is from Heirloom, grows in shade, sweet fragrance and beautiful in bouquets. She has big sprays of blooms that look stunning in a vase. It grows about 5 feet tall with arching canes. Just took this picture today after a big rainstorm.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    6 months ago

Lyda is fabulous. I have her too but mine is more pink, but we all know how soil and climate can shift pink to purple to pink. Here are two Ralph Moore miniature roses. Sweet Chariot and Lavender Delight that are more mauve but will shift colors from more or less of the blue tones. First is SC and second 2 of LD with some lavender and hot pink blooms in the same cluster.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    6 months ago

Stephanie, thank you so much for sharing your two Ralph Moore minis.

I have been trying to decide which minis to add and yours are both beautiful.

• steve_gw
    6 months ago

My Olivia Rose Miniature

sara_ann-z6bok thanked steve_gw
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    6 months ago

**Kristine, Sweet Chariot is my preferred of the two and has great fragrance!
    **Steve, your Olivia Rose miniature has such perfect spiral blooms!

• seil zone 6b MI
    6 months ago

Just a bump up here. What color is next?

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Seil, Apricots and Oranges..

• seil zone 6b MI
    6 months ago

OK, thanks! I'll get them ready to post!

• Dave6aMO
    6 months ago

Sorry I’m late to the game here. I really like all of these - especially RdV, sara_ann and Erinnerung an Brod is wonderful, too, flowersaremusic. Here are just a couple to share:

Sweet Chariot

Blue for You

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    6 months ago

To answer your question, Diane, no, the two big girls do not deserve Erinnerung on their pen, but my darling, precious Princess Silky does. The big girls are mean to her. They make her go outside in the heat or snow while they stay comfy inside the coop. She is often standing outside by herself just under the door because they won't let her in.

I blinked and this thread filled up with so much goodness.

Kristine, I would never have thought your Plum Perfect was the rose by that name. Mine is a dull deep purple. Your's is so close to Heirloom. I grew Heirloom in CA, and loved it. I've never grown Vi's Violet. You wouldn't know she's a mini by looking at the pic.

Diane, you keep coming up with roses I didn't know or had forgotten you grow. Heirloom is always on the back burner in my mind. Should I, or not??

Stephanie, your two little minis reminded me I grow Lavender Friendship, but I don't think I have a pic. It's sparsely branched, but the little blooms are so sweet. I had Sweet Chariot's twin, Little Chap, such a great little rose, but it died in the garage one winter.

Thank you, Dave. Love you cone shaped containers. I can't get Blue for You to do anything in the 6 years I've had her, so this is her last year unless she does something other than take up space. I know she can do better because I've seen pics like yours.

Olivia Rose mini?? So sweet. Is that really her name, Steve?

• jdesseintes_socal
    6 months ago

Wow! Thanks for posting these amazing pictures. My favorite mauve roses are:

Blue Nile and Fragrant Plum are definite winners, both are some of my all time favorite fragrance and flower size.

La Rose Du Petit Prince, very unique grey/mauve hybrid tea, nice citrus fragrance.

Ebb Tide and Twilight Zone are some of the best Tom Carruth creations and both have a nice clove scent!

I used to love Poseidon with its baroque gigantic flowers but I realized it's a rather delicate rose with not much fragrance.

Love Song also is such a beauty, a fashion magazine rose but no scent.

6 months ago

Hum, Sweet Chariot keeps showing up on facebook, maybe I am meant to grow her.

Dave, yours is so beautiful. Thanks for more enabling.

Vap, I saw more pictures of Vi's Violet and some pictures looked pretty pink so if it is actually that lavender color I will be pretty surprised.

I love Heirloom rose

It was almost a goner but it came back better than ever. The color is so gorgeous.

6 months ago

Jd, if you are in a cold zone, 6 or under, I'm wondering how La Petit Prince does for you. I've heard he can be difficult, but he definitely looks worth the trouble.

• jdesseintes_socal
    6 months ago

I'm in Southern California and it does fairly well

6 months ago

My SoCal days are far behind me. I bet the little prince might not like my winters.

6 months ago

I think if Burlington has Sweet Chariot in stock that I will add it to the Purple Lodge order and at least save on shipping down the road.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 months ago

Kristine, I'm also getting SC along with Vineyard Song.. It's been on my list for year and I'm going for it. I really love these little lavender bushes. What is Vi's Violet, btw?

• steve_gw
    6 months ago

flowersaremusic: Yes, Olivia Rose is the name, which was registered prior to the Austin Olivia Rose. It was named to honor the memory of Olivia Rose Engel a six year old who was killed in the Sandy Hook shooting....

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 months ago

I love lavender roses and have a small collection of them. Here are some favorite lavender rose photos from 2020.

Blue Mist is planted under a tree so it might get a bit more shade than it likes but it blooms in cycles and is a bee magnet.

Blue Girl didn't do well in its first year but has taken off in year two and is now about 6ft tall and blooms in sprays.

Charles de Gaulle is still only about 2ft x 2ft but is a nearly consistently blooming rose. I think you need two or three of these planted together to get a great effect.

more....

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • Ann9BNCalif
    5 months ago

Charles Rennie Mackintosh in cool weather is much more of a lavender/lilac shade than pink.

I planted Fragrant Lavender Simplicity in my front yard but it's really too tall. It's very fragrant and blooms well in shade but I plan to replace it with something shorter.

Lavender Crush is now about 7ft tall and I need to train it so I get more lateral blooms. It's very fragrant and blooms in clusters.

more...

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 months ago

Lavender Crystal is probably my best miniature rose. It blooms almost continuously, lasts well on the bush, and has lovely form, color, and fragrance.

Lagerfeld took a couple of years to establish but is now thriving. I think I wasn't feeding this rose enough. It's a bit skinny and gangly but the blooms are lovely, fragrant, and the lavender shade is very pleasing.

Sterling Silver has been criticized a lot for all of faults but after a slow first year start, it's grown leaps and bounds and is thriving well in my garden. The blooms are on the small side but there are lots of them produced in sprays and the fragrance is very strong. It's not the type of rose for exhibition if you're into that because it opens quickly but it lasts a long time as a cut flower and perfumes any room.

I have a few more lavenders but need to find the pics!

Ann

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 months ago

Ann I am really liking your Blue Mist. About how big is it and is it fragrant?

And your CRM!!!! Since I’m cooler than Cali that is the look I’m hoping for!

5 months ago

Ann, those are some lavenders I've wondered about, but had never seen photos other than in catalogs. They may all be too tender for here, but I'd love to try a few. I only have Lav Crush from Lilyfinch's move, and it looks promising.

Steve, thanks for the info, although heart wrenching, about your Olivia Rose. It ought to be more well known. Miniatures don't get the attention of standard size roses. Thank you for sharing it.

5 months ago

Ann. really beautiful ! I had no idea that Lagerfeld was so exquisite.

I tried to order Lavender Crystal from Burlington

She is currently out but hopefully this summer I will be able to get that one.

Your lavenders are beautiful

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 months ago

Thanks all!

steelers - Blue Mist is about 2x2 ft and a good size shrub for a miniature/polyantha rose. It's moderately fragrant. I got this rose from Angel Gardens. There's also a version of this rose called Lavender Mist which is a bit pinker. It would be interesting to see if CRM is less pink and more lavender in your cooler climate.

Thanks flowers! I looked up a few of my lavenders and the minimum zone seems to be 7 or higher. I hope you have good luck with Lavender Crush.

Kris - I think you'll really like Lavender Crystal once you start growing it. I hope you get it from Burling soon!

Ann

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Ann, your lavenders are gorgeous!

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    5 months ago

Purple Skyliner:

Veilchenblau:

sara_ann-z6bok thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    5 months ago

Chris, good to see purple Skyliner. I planted one out last year and ordered another for a friend for spring. I'm surprised it can live in a pot! You must be a good rose caretaker. I would love to hear anything you can tell me about this Rose if I haven't already asked you before! LOL!

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    5 months ago

Vaporvac it's actually in the ground! That pot is in front with some similar colored geraniums in it. I find Purple Skyliner vigorous and totally disease free. Mine is in some shade, which may limit its repeat. And I don't think any fragrance, but otherwise I love it. These multiflora types grow really well for me.

-C

5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Ha! I see that now! It certainly was a vigorous cutting for me making it when many others died last year. I need to move a big clump of purple coneflower that slightly shading it as I've noticed it gets a tiny bit of powdery mildew otherwise. Of course this was in the fall and I shouldn't expect miracles at that time of year anyway.

• bart bart
    5 months ago

Purple Skyliner is a great rose-one of my all-time favourites. It is very vigorous and roots very easily; for this reason, at least in my garden, it tends to form a large , bushy, shrub-like plant. I'm trying to get mine to be climbers by giving them support.

5 months ago

Chris, what a healthy glorious rose!. I have never heard of Purple Skyliner. Cool name and beautiful rose.

5 months ago

I saw that Edmonds had a Twilight Zone standard. I wonder how it would be as a standard ?

I cant afford it this year but maybe next year I can add it to my lavender garden.

• rosecanadian
    5 months ago

Ann - your Blue Mist is magical!!! My other faves of your pictures are Lavender Simplicity, CRM and CdG!!! Such amazing cololrs!! Such wonderful petals!! Love!! :) :)

Chris - that really surprised me too! I thought for sure that gorgeous PS was growing in that pot! What a HEAVENLY rose!!!! Drool-iscious!!! I am in love with your roses....also with Vilechienbleu. Mmmmmm :) :)

• Diane Brakefield
    5 months ago

Kristine, if you get a TZ standard next year, I would be so jealous. I think it would make a stunning standard (or two). I'd love to see a good photo of one. Edmunds isn't allowed to ship roses to Idaho, and hasn't been able to for years. They must have done something really bad--ha. Diane

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
    5 months ago

Does Purple Skyliner get a lot of black spot? Its so pretty. I like big wild growers and could use a few more.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    5 months ago

@sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) I've never seen any kind of disease on it. It's very healthy. I only can't comment on how good the repeat is because it's in a fair amount of shade beneath a black walnut tree. Spring flush is great though.

@rosecanadian thank you so much! Glad you're feeling better.

5 months ago

Some reason I can't tag oh, but maybe @AquaEyes 7a NJ in New Jersey will answer. This is where I first became aware of this Purple Skyliner.

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    5 months ago

Intrigue, '82

Smells of lemony myrrh.

Found this at the local mom&pop garden center this week. The camera, alas doesn't pick up the colors, which is far deeper than this.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Joe Moose, Zone 9A
  • rosecanadian
    5 months ago

Chris - thanks so much! :) :)

Jo - lemony myrrh!! Oh, I wish I could smell that!!! It's a really pretty rose too!

• htracyn79 PNW-8B
    5 months ago

Quicksilver is the only lavender/purple rose I have in my garden.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked htracyn79 PNW-8B
  • rosecanadian
    5 months ago

Oh man!!!! You really grow Quicksilver well!!! Glorious! :) :)

5 months ago

Uhhhhh. I'm thinking why would you need any other? Glorious is right!

5 months ago

That is one glorious Quicksiver !

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I totally agree htracy! Your Quicksilver is gorgeous!