SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trangmpham

Cambria vs. MSI Quartz

TM Pham
3 years ago

Hello! We are remodeling our kitchen with white perimeter cabinets and navy blue island cabinets along with engineered oak wood floors (see samples below). We are trying to decide which white (with subtle veins) quartz countertop to go with. I understand that Cambria is more expensive, has a lifetime warranty that’s transferable and great customer service. Is the quality of the Cambria quartz products comparable to MSI? My question is the Cambria brand worth the extra $$$? We are already passed our budget and are not looking to pay more but would pay more for superior quality and peace of mind. We are looking at MSI Calacatta Alto and Cambria Smithfield but are open to other suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (30)

• K R
    3 years ago

You didn’t ask but I’m trying to figure out what the other blue cabinet is? I wouldn’t use 3 different colors. As for Cambria vs MSI, I have both, Cambria in the kitchen and MSI for my bar counter and bathrooms. We abuse the kitchen and not a scratch or nick, I think the quality is somewhat better than MSI because I do have a few nicks in my bathroom. I wouldn’t say it’s substantially better, but slightly better quality IMO.

• TM Pham
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. I’m sorry I couldn’t place a comment next to the photo but we are doing the navy blue and white. Not the grey.

• Related Discussions

MSI Quartz vs Corian

Q

Comments (15)
    Joe, cor rectangle me if I'm wrong but it seems like some of the countees that mimic Dupont's Corian may be inferior. DH's aunt had the Menard's brand with integrated sink installed about ten years ago. Granted this lady is a serious gardner, canner, baker and sells all of her wares, but the sink looks bad. The edges of the sink almost looks like thr top layer is wrinkled and peeling. I wonder if people reporting on bad 'Corian' are mostly looking at other brands because it seems like everyone has one now. Having said that I'm not a fan of the look, but it does seem to be a durable surface.
    ...See More

MSI Quartz vs. Cambria Quartz

Q

Comments (4)
    @hilborn What did you decide? I have same concern. I love the MSI Monaco, but am worried about quality. I have a Hanstone and Caesarstone selected as well, but prefer the MSI. The price difference is not a factor, but don't want an inferior product.
    ...See More

Bedrosian Sequel Quartz vs MSI

Q

Comments (1)
    Curious to know if anyone has any feedback on the Bedrosian quartz as well...
    ...See More

MSI quartz pricing msi fabricator vs others

Q

Comments (13)
    I am a fabricator. If the fabricator has to buy slabs specifically for your job then whatever is left over is waste you pay for. Slabs are typically 55 -65 sq. ft. and many kitchens fall into the 50 - 75 sq. ft. range so more than one slab is needed. Your best opportunity for the lowest price is working with a fabricator that stocks a color you want as he can use one full slab plus a partial slab as the leftover material goes back into his inventory for the next job. Given the preceding it is still to you advantage to shop different fabricators as pricing can vary significantly from shop to shop. The fabricators that sell only a single brand will almost always be the highest price per sq. ft.
    ...See More
  • TM Pham
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We abuse our kitchen and I’m worried about stains and chips I read about.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

I have Silestone in kitchen and bathroom. I used Calcutta Gold for the kitchen and Lagoon for the bathroom. No issues.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

if you search 'MSI quartz countertops" here on houzz, you'll prob find the answer to your question.

Is this the look you're after?

have you considered Silestone? I don't think it's as much as Cambria. I used Silestone Eternal on mine and love them.

(I got the matte Eternal) My entire slab was $2200.

They have the Jasmine you might like.

some others since you're using blue

Ocean Blue quartzite

Fantasy Macaubas. (this was at my local tile/stone place. the slab was about $2300)

Cielo Blue quartzite. I believe this was leathered or honed. comes polished too

Blue Roma is gorgeous. you could do this for the island and a solid white on the others.

similar idea.

you could also do a butcher block on the island. looks great w/blue

love this blue color and how the wood shelving and gold hardware are used.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

I have Cambria and am happy with it. We originally had selected a Silestone product but their jumbo slabs aren’t big enough so that we could have a seamless island. Cambria’s jumbos are big enough so we looked & found a pattern in their jumbo series we thought we liked. I did have a great experience with their customer service when I reached out to Cambria via their web site to try to set up a virtual viewing. The closest warehouse to me is over 3 hours away & I couldn’t feel good about buying product based only on the 12” x 12” sample we had. You just can’t get a good feel for the pattern without seeing it. We had a virtual viewing with the showroom manager who is 3 hours away so felt much assured of our our purchase. Still on online view but at least in real time! We also saw our slabs. When delivered to our fabricator & looked at template placement.

• TM Pham
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! I’ve read all the posts and still can’t decide. The MSI quoted by my KD. is around $8600 which includes $1500 for the mitered edge. I am open to Silestone and Caesarstone too! I just want the most stain- and chip-resistant since we aren’t very careful in the kitchen.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

stain/chip resistant are going to basically be the same throughout any quality quartz. avoid the cheap chinese knock-offs.

my silestone eternal has their N-boost coating. It doesn't stain with anything I've ever used.

however, I did slam the corner around my stove w/an iron skillet and knocked off a chunk. I glued it back on though and it's not noticeable. it's the left corner that juts out. can't even see it can u?

The key is to be careful w/heavy objects. It probably would have cracked the granite too.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Regarding edge treatment on any surface - we went with a 3/8” radius for exactly that reason. Chip factor. We have Same edge on all outside edges & sink cutout. I had chips in sink edge on the granite we took out & though not noticeable only could feel them due to business of granite I didn‘t want same issue with quartz. This is a more rounded edge. I needed to look at sample edges bc they seem to have diffent names for same edge treatments across brands.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

And, BTW, my Cambria cost was $1200 more than the Silestone would’ve been but I got my seamless island with no loss of surface size or overhang! We had a two level island cut down to a counter height.

• TM Pham
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is the general look I was going for. Thicker look over counter and light/ white color with no or little veins but I’m seeing some more styles with grey or blue narrow veins that I Iike. I’m afraid if I get blue veins and want to paint island cabinet a different color then I would be stuck. The second picture is the actual blue color we are getting. We will likely go with satin brass or gold hardware.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

You are looking at 3cm slabs, yes? Quartz comes in 1 cm, 2cm, 3 cm. Not all patterns come in all thickness. I understand both 2cm & 3 cm are used for kitchen counters but to make a 2cm slab thicker like granite, an edge would be fabricated & attached. We were replacing granite & wanted same counter height & no underlay so we stuck with 3cm. Seems like it might cost more to use 2cm & apply edge to look thicker rather than use 3cm. I might not have all this correct as I‘m no expert but thought it was worth raising the question since you said the mitered edge cost is $1500. If I’m wrong I’m sure someone will correct me!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

I have Silestone in my kitchen, it will be 8 yrs old in April. It’s a beast and no issues with chipping or stains. I use windex to clean it.

• TM Pham
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am told the standard height countertop we are looking at is 3cm and the mitered edge look is 6cm.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

TM Pham, there’s a 3 year old thread here on Houzz about using Cambria & doing a 6cm edge on island only. Have you read it? The discussion question posted is

“island countertop 3cm or 6 cm”. You may already know everything stated in the thread but worth searching for it.

TM Pham thanked KW PNW Z8
  • bondia
    3 years ago

TM Pham, I'd love to know what you decided on. No matter the countertop, the blue and white cabinets with that floor should be GORGEOUS!

TM Pham thanked bondia
  • TM Pham
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We ended up not going with the mitered edge since my family did not like it but saved a lot of money and picked a gorgeous countertop (Cambria Sutherland). :-)

• bondia
    3 years ago

TM Pham, I saw a sample of that today, that must look so beautiful with your navy and white cabinets, what a perfect choice. Thanks for replying.

• brandyv9
    3 years ago

TM Pham, I would love to see a photo of the Cambria Sutherland in your kitchen. We are thinking of using that (or Malvern). But I can't decide for sure.

• Rachel L
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@TM Pham can you please post a picture of your Sutherland countertops and how it looks with your white cabinets? Are the whites a good match? My cabinets are the same color as yours and I'm wondering if the creamier white base color of Sutherland is going to be a good fit. TIA!!

• Rhonda F.
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@TM Pham I'd love to see your Sutherland as well because that's what I'm considering with white cabinets (SW Pure White) and whitewashed white oak floors with whitewashed brick backsplash.

• bondia
    2 years ago

TM Pham, beautiful remodel, I'm sure you're very happy with it, right? Thanks for the photos, so fun to see what people finally choose.

• Elizabeth Kelly
    2 years ago

What cabinet maker/line did you use?

• motherx5
    last year

which counter is it??

• K R
    last year

It all looks really great!

• Maria A
    last year

@K R I saw your post on another thread and am considering Highgate countertops for a kitchen renovation. May I ask what color your cabinets are? Highgate looks more gray in your pics, which is what I'm going for.

• stravers12
    last year

TM Pham - I chose Cambria Sutherland and a blue island (BM Hale Navy). Im stuck on a color for the kitchen cabinets. I was thinking Sherwin Williams Alabaster. Do you think a warm white will go better with Sutherland than a cool white?

• sonali kapur
    last year

We are so so close to finalizing the cambria sutherland. Our kitchen set up is soft cream cabinets all around and a hale navy island. we liked the gray tones of the sutherland but looking at the actual stone today, got a bit concerned if it will be too blue? we want a timeless countertop that we dont get tired of looking at. The sutherland looks great but would love actual feedback from anyone if it is more gray with slight blue tone or does it bring out more blue when paired with a blue island? any input will be super super helpful.

• jforseth
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

@TM Pham

Love the floors - what brand/color did you use? I'm looking for the same tone but having a hard time finding it!