SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
langamy

Quartzite Countertop Seam Not Matching

Amy
3 years ago

We recently had our countertops replaced with a quartzite that is white with gray veining (color: Glacier Wave from MSI). Our island is rather large and the shape of an L. Our fabricator told us that we would have to have a seam on the island. When we went to the fabricator’s business to do the layout our slabs were standing outside (2 in the sun, 1 in the shade). I thought that setup seemed unprofessional as the lighting made it hard to see if the colors by the seam would match. We told them what areas of the slabs we liked most based on the veining and they put together the layout. At the end I asked if anyone was going to review this before they cut the slabs as I could tell the 2 guys helping us were hourly employees just doing what they were told (not really consulting) and didn’t seem to have a good eye for what would look best as a fabricator should. They assured us that the owner would review it before it was cut. Additionally, that day I contacted the person in charged of our remodel (and who subcontracted out to this fabricator) and they assured me that he would make sure it is the best possible option. Unfortunately though, once the countertops were installed we feel that the seam looks awful. The quartzite on the left side is much more white than the right side which is more gray. I know this is a natural stone and has variations, but we feel that the fabricator should have caught this before it was cut. We had our surround countertops replaced with the same quartzite and those pieces appear to be more gray and a closer color match to the right side of the island. If the fabricator noticed this color variation at the seam we had enough material to make changes. The fabricator now seems open to replacing everything but now our problem is we can’t find the same color. The last 2 bundles of Glacier Wave the slab yard has received look very different than what we purchased (more browns and creamy whites which is not the look we’re going for). So now we’re back to square one and trying to find completely new countertops that match our new cabinets. My question is, does this seam look bad enough to justify redoing all the countertops or am I being too picky? Am I out of line to think the fabricator didn’t do his due care and did a shoddy job? Is anyone aware of any other options we might have to darken the left side in order to better match the right side and avoid redoing the whole thing?

Comments (29)

• M Miller
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

In that pic of your OP, the two pieces look very different. But, can you take a photo from farther back? Sometimes, when counters are seen with the rest of the kitchen, with usual items on the counter like toaster, fruit bowl, etc., the differences aren’t so obvious as in your pic where the counters are close-up and naked.

You cannot darken the left side to match the right side.

Also, that counter doesn’t look like Glacier Wave quartzite I’ve seen on this forum, which has been more gray and with more monochromatic “wavy” veining (hence, the name). Just thought I’d mention that, in case you decide to look for other Glacier Wave slabs.

• Amy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your reply M Miller. Here is a picture taken a little further back. If this seam wasn’t right in the middle of the island I definitely wouldn’t be nearly as concerned but since it is there aren’t a lot of items like toaster, coffee maker etc that I can use on the island to hide it. Per MSI, that is Glacier Wave, but after seeing several other bundles of Glacier Wave I’m learning that this color has a ton of variation.

• Related Discussions

Quartzite Countertop Seam Question

Q

Comments (2)
    Fixed how? The seam is there because they need to use a built up edge. Post pics possibly there is something that can be done to help. Did you not see what the top would look like? Edge type to choose from?
    ...See More

Help - need advice re quartzite leathered counters, seams and edges.

Q

Comments (3)
    Pick a different stone or shorten the island. Leathered never ever looks right with a seam. The edges don’t either. It’s a rare shop that carries the diamond brushes to leather anything in the shop. That’s done at the quarry. A 120’’ island will generally always need a seam as stone slabs average 108”. You’d need something closer to 127” to get 10’ feet of cabinets covered. That’s 123” of yield needed. Granite isn’t generally square enough to get 123” out of 125”. 127” gives 2” each side for wiggle room. You get slim and slimmer choices for 127” natural stone slabs. You have to find a slab first, and then design the cabinets to it’s dimensions when wanting a super Long Island. You’ve done this the other way around. You may find you need to move to Jumbo quartz.
    ...See More

Did they screw up my quartzite countertop seam?

Q

Comments (9)
    ***UPDATE*** So, the owner sent the crew out today to fix the issue. They used some kind of polisher (used three different discs) and added either an epoxy and/or sealer afterwards. It feels a lot smoother, but the imperfection on the bottom portion of the counter seam is still visibly there. The explanation they gave me what that it's just how the stone is. Whether that's true or not, who knows...at least it looks better and isn't as rough. Don't know what else I can do. Thanks all for your help.
    ...See More

HELP! Dullness along Quartzite Countertop Seams

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you Joseph for taking the time to respond. It is encouraging to hear! Now I have to convince my fabricator to fix it.
    ...See More
  • Olychick
    3 years ago

It looks like they did a nice enough job with the seam, but the colors not matching would make me crazy. I hope you can find a solution.

• L thomas
    3 years ago

Not to throw in another issue, and I could very well be wrong, but your counters look like quartz, not quartzite. So I think you might be dealing with two different lots of a manmade material (quartz), not variation of a natural material (quartzite).

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

arch13 is correct. This is apparently engineered stone which brings me to my point:

"When we went to the fabricator’s business to do the layout our slabs were standing outside (2 in the sun, 1 in the shade)."

Estone cannot be stored outside in direct sunlight. The resin is subject to UV light degradation which explains perfectly why the seamed slabs are so different. The fabricator broke the manufacturer's storage specifications.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    3 years ago

I am a fabricator. you are not too picky. If it is engineered stone (I agree it looks like it is) and a slab was stored outside face out that would explain the color difference. Even a week or two exposed to the sun will change the color on an engineered stone slab. However, it could also just be a slab from a different lot from the manufacturer.

If it's actually quartzite it's unfortunate but certainly possible. I've had customers insist that color didn't match when the 2 pieces came from the same slab. Sometimes the only way around that problem is more material which is costly.

I think your fabricator is stepping up by offering a replacement. Personally I would go towards a replacement. Since you have a functional kitchen a replacement isn't urgent. Sooner or later your fabricator will be able to get replacement slabs that match or maybe even a single slab that matches one of the existing island pieces. The replacement could be done in a single day minimizing the impact on you. Good luck.

• chispa
    3 years ago

Interesting that when many of these stone/slab issues show up on the forums, they seem to involve MSI ...

• badgergal
    3 years ago

Your countertop does not look anything like the the photo of Glacier Wave shown on MSI’s website nor does it match their description of Glacier Wave.

This is what the website says about it: “Our Glacier Wave Quartzite countertops feature a soft dove gray with hints of tone-on-tone waves for a dramatic effect”

and this is a screen shot of their picture of Glacier White

It appears that you got a completely different stone/product.

• L thomas
    3 years ago

Agree with Chispa. Whenever I’ve dealt with MSI - for any of their products, not just slabs - it’s always been a hot mess. I would run, not walk, away from MSI.

• Amy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. This is definitely quartzite (if it’s not, then it’s the most natural looking quartz I’ve ever seen after months of research). And yes, the Glacier Gray on the website looks nothing like this but this color has so much variation as I’ve learned from looking at several other bundles of “glacier gray”. Because we can’t find a good match is why the issue has dragged on for months and why we’re considering a completely different color all together which unfortunately would mean redoing all the surround countertops too. Here is another picture showing more of the island, maybe you can see more of the natural elements with this. As for the direction of the veining, I hear you as that was another one of my concerns before it was cut but I wasn’t sure which way would look best with our odd L shaped island, but they assured me they would review it before it was cut and consider that aspect as well. Anyway, just wondered if this problem is something that should have been avoided or if this is just a risk you have to take with natural stone.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

No way is that Glacier Wave quartzite from MSI. It's engineered stone. Estone isn't as shiny as natural stone. Those reflections would be screaming if this were the real thing. Bet I could find a resin pool or two if I were there.

Amy, please pull a drawer or two and look underneath for printing or a logo. If so, game over.

• Amy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My question isn’t really if this is quartzite or not, my question is if this fabrication job is acceptable or not regardless if it’s quartzite or Estone. With that said, it is quartzite. Here’s a pic of the entire slab. And you cannot simply take out a drawer and look at the bottom of the slab as there is a sub-top.

• karin_mt
    3 years ago

That's natural stone. It has bedding and all kinds of other geologic textures. If e-stone could do this, they'd be over the moon, but they can't.

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

Beautiful stone! And the 1st thing everyone will say as they run their fingers across it is " you have 2 different colors"...

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

This looks like my quartzite which was called Giotto I think. It is beautiful other than the infamous staining that has appeared on the edges and around the sinks.

with an island in this shape..how could this have been better templated to avoid the OPs problem?

my quartzite..

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    3 years ago

I am a fabricator. "how could this have been better templated to avoid the OPs problem?" There is technology available to fabricators that allows him to photograph the slabs for the job and then overlay the CAD outlines of the parts on the slabs. (Slabsmith - A First Look - YouTube) The individual pieces can be moved around and an image of the entire layout changes as the individual parts are moved. This allows the end user to see how the grain flows on the parts AND what the grain transitions look like at the seams. It is just prudent for the fabricator to use this technology when the job has expensive stone with a lot of movement. It helps a lot when the end user is involved in the layout decision making as there are inevitable compromises and having the customer involved mostly prevents a dissatisfied customer. Unfortunately some customers feel like they have the option of complaining even when they pre-approve everything or agree to let the fabricator make the decisions. I hate when that happens.

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

I don't find a problem with the veining matching up, it's the background color of the whole slab that doesn't follow after the seam.

• anna_682
    3 years ago

The veining matchup looks great. The color differential is noticeable. I would take him up on the replacement.

• AmyK
    3 years ago

ILovered, we are looking at a similar quartzite. Beautiful. Do you know why is it staining around your sink and edges? Was it not sealed appropriately? Ours is called Lake Garde but looks like Florida Wave Quartzite.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

"Do you know why is it staining around your sink and edges?"

Because someone did not test the stone's porosity. Porosity affects the stone's suitablity as countertop material.

"Was it not sealed appropriately?"

I'm skeptical of using sealers to stop edge bleeding. It's just one bloody quartzite story after another here. It happens again and again and again and no one cares because they're in love. At the slab yard. Then you get married and he shows his true colors.

• countrygirl2323
    3 years ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC Why wouldn’t sealing help edge staining? Isn’t the purpose of sealers to essentially fill the pores on the stone and prevent moisture from seeping in? What is different in these cases that you feel the sealers don’t work on edge staining?

• hmaughan
    2 years ago

Would like to know how this was handled. We are having the same exact issue right now

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Your expectations weren't properly set by your fabricator.

• hmaughan
    2 years ago

How clear does it need to be that someone doesn’t want 2 separate color counter tops. I would have specifically ordered two different colored slabs if that was the case.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

It's all about "natural" with stone until nature shows her true colors. You want consistency and inconspicuous seams? Get Corian. Those problems were solved 50 years ago.

• hmaughan
    2 years ago

Well I am curious why the fabricator would not consult me on the difference of color? Are you a contractor? If so, what would you do in this position for your client ?

• millworkman
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

What type of construction, custom or tract/developer? Did you not select or at least see your slab?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"Well I am curious why the fabricator would not consult me on the difference of color? Are you a contractor? If so, what would you do in this position for your client ?"

As I mentioned earlier, your fabricator's biggest mistake was not properly setting your expectations. I am a contractor with several decades experience in the countertop industry. I would never have put myself in such a position with a client. I remain dumbfounded at the crap the natural stone industry gets away with and the decades-long excusemaking for them by customers who have fallen in love with a particular stone, no matter its suitability as a countertop. I don't know how these guys sleep at night.