SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

OT: In Italy sometimes it snows

Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

When we first moved to northern Italy in 2000, it snowed a good deal in winter, especially when we came to live in the Apennine foothills in Piacenza. Starting about nine years ago snowfall diminished significantly, and we've had winters when it hardly snowed at all, rather to my dismay. Well, this winter the snow came back.

This is a shot of our paved terrace taken on December 28th. Our second December snow started Christmas Day--my first white Christmas ever!--arriving at almost eight inches of accumulation; two days later, and before the Christmas snowfall had melted, we got another twenty inches. That's a lot of snow. Our power went out with both snowfalls, the second time staying off for over two days; we heat with a wood stove and have a gas stovetop, so we were warm and could cook, but we certainly did miss lights and Internet, and I worried about all the food in the fridge. The repair when it finally happened took five minutes, and I'm still irritated with the power company.

Here I am helping shovel a path from our front door to the wood pile. The entire local population has been digging itself out ever since the big snowfall; there's still a foot of snow on the ground now.

The garden remains buried. There will no doubt be plenty of breakage, and the Italian cypresses, once I've pruned them back into shape, are going to look like scarecrows for a while: they're not made for this kind of weather. The worst are our rebar pergolas, many of which have bowed or collapsed under the weight of the roses and the snow.

Temperatures haven't been bad, mostly above freezing though staying in the thirties. We set off fireworks last night, DD's idea, standing them in an old pot perched on the snow in front of our door, and laughing ourselves silly. Today is gray and drizzly, and I plan to spend it cooking and reading, once I've woken up. No working out in the garden until the snow is gone. My best wishes to all of you folks on the forum for a good year in 2021, or at least a better one than 2020 was! It's a fresh start. Happy New Year to all!

P.S. I just looked out the window. It's snowing.

Comments (26)