SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

What are your favorite perennials to start from seed?

bellarosa
3 years ago

Please share your suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (50)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

I rarely start perennials from seed -- I'm too impatient, I'd rather start with a good-sized plant right out of the gate.

But, I have tried a few things here and there over the years. One that is really easy from seed is swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata). The trick is to cold stratify first -- germinates in a snap if stratified correctly.

I have good luck with Botanical Interests seed (including the milkweed), but here's a link to Prairie Moon, they have germination instructions:

Asclepias incarnata Rose Milkweed | Prairie Moon Nursery

bellarosa thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • cecily 7A
    3 years ago

Funny, I just purchased seed packets for a. incarnata, a. tuberosa and a. fasicularis at a local garden center this morning. I'll winter sow the incarnata and tuberosa. Thanks for the tip!

• Related Discussions

What is your favorite custom seed starting mix?

Q

Comments (4)
    I use a 2-1-1 mix of Sphagnum peat moss/perlite/coarse sand. I get the sand from a builders supply. I don't worry about PH either. I used a T8 P&A and a T5 for lights above my gas stove where the pilots kept the trays at 75-80F. I got 90-95% germination on all saved and most bought seeds this year.
    ...See More

Are you starting any perennials from seed this year?

Q

Comments (23)
    I am winter sowing a lot more than planned: Prairie Dropseed (Sporobolus heterolepsis) Switchgrass (Panicum virgatum) Purple Love Grass (Egrostis spectabilis - not yet - will sow it next month) Rattlesnake Master (Eryngium yuccifolium) Native White Baptisia (Baptisia leucantha) Helenium - a few red ones Texas Bluebonnet (Lupinus texensis) VA Bluebells (Mertensia virginica) Prairie Smoke (Geum triflorum) - hope this one grows. I really want a whole lot more. Hmm- what else? Can't remember. :-)
    ...See More

What was your favorite perennials for June/July?

Q

Comments (29)
    Wonbyherwits, judging from the photo you posted i would say you have a very keen eye as well. I think the trick for me is useing plants that do well in my conditions and understanding there growing habits and mature size. I think experience is the best teacher in my case. I have no special talents as a gardener other than a deep love of plants. I've been useing the same plants (10 yrs.) and understand what thay do. Thanks for your kind words. I googled herbaceus borders "images", there are a lot of inspirational border pics. This is the 1st year i've started back working on my borders. I took the last 7yrs building and understanding my antique and shrub rose collection. Its good to be home again. Perhaps we should start another thread discussing combination and heights etc.........mark
    ...See More

Starting Perennials from Seeds

Q

Comments (4)
    I have some rubekia that has sprouted a couple of weeks ago in the garden. they are small an not growing . I hope they are working on their roots. We have a few warm day and then it is cold again. highs right now in the upper 60's and low around 40. I expect a couple more hard freezes. Most of mine are sewn in the ground. I imagine that in CA. you want to get things going as early as possible to take advantage of all that beautiful rain. We are having the first dampish winter in a long time and I have been seeding perennials all over and seeing great results. I am talking about drylands gardening. I do not water and depend on the rain. Many of the ones that I use seem to come up when it is a bit cool . i.e. the penstemons. I am seeing them pop. God, you have to look carefully. I did get some wild asters popping to. I am seeing Dalea purpuria and Oenothera macrocarpa showing leaf. Generally , in Texas I try to get many perennials seeded in late fall and winter. I do suggest looking at germination temperature tables. If you are in doubt, reserve some seed and do some later. I have seen that the west coast is projected for a warm winter.... if you can believe that. Believe it at your own peril. I am projected for 3-5 degrees below normal winter so I will throw some leaves over the babies if the cold one comes. So far it has been cool for longer but no real vicious cold snaps. It is still well above are our average minimum . Keep your eye on the 10 day forecast if you ate going to play the seeding outdoors game. I am seeing all sorts of seedlings in my garden sprouting . some I want and some I don't.
    ...See More
  • Patti Chicago Zone 5b/6a
    3 years ago

I did showy milkweed, butterfly weed in orange and a mix color of penstemon. They all worked out well. If I was you I would do the penstemon if you don’t have it. It was a great surprise and flowered well. I really enjoyed the mix of colors.

bellarosa thanked Patti Chicago Zone 5b/6a
  • bellarosa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'll look into these. I've never grown milkweed or penstemon from seed. I look forward to trying it.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I sow a lot of 'Prairie Splendor' echinacea, there's generally one or two superior seedlings.

bellarosa thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
  • bellarosa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

FB, there are all so beautiful.

• dbarron
    3 years ago

Echinacea are certainly easy, though I find they typically don't bloom the first year from seed (as often advertised). It's better if they don't anyway, and spend time growing roots and crowns.
    Most perennials (not clematis, I'm looking at you) are pretty easy to start from seed. Even hateful ones like clematis, hellebore, and peony that have a complicated stratification cycle and take multiple years to show above ground aren't hard, just hard on your patience.
    Plants evolved to grow, and they do that.

• Gawdinfever Z6
    3 years ago

Malva Zebrina, for sure.

If it's just flowers you are looking for, try this:

https://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/tips_lists/perennials_first_year_flowers.html

bellarosa thanked Gawdinfever Z6
  • diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 years ago

I've successfully wintersown several perennials, but I don't think I have a "favorite" to start from seed, only because I usually only sow them once, lol. They're perennials, so once you have them you're pretty much set, ime.

FrozeBudd, as usual, gorgeous flowers and gorgeous pics. Are those all Prairie Splendor? What a variation - or is it just the photos that are varied? And how stunning, either way! Not only are the colors wonderful but they look so good. My echinacea are always hit with that damn oriental beetle. Even if the blooms aren't full of holes from being chewed on, they still look "dirty" - that's the only way I can describe them.

:)
    Dee

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 years ago

For years, delphiniums had been a real favorite to sow in copious amounts. I had ordered directly from New Zealand and set out multiple long rows of seedlings ... WOW, I had many beauties! Though, delphiniums are work plants, meaning they must be staked ... otherwise, sure enough are toppled by summer storms while in peak bloom. When moving, I had selected twenty or so favorites and these only ended up perishing due to neglect. I did start again though, but seedlings being struck with masses of weird orange aphids so thick that I just worked them under, ugh!

Diggerdee, indeed all are 'Prairie Splendor', the variance among seedlings is what keeps me planting more, some can be rather outstanding! 'PS' has much going for it, not only is it very hardy and early summer blooming, but also first year flowering from an early indoor sowing, even way up north here with our shorter growing season.

This one has particularly nice dark cones

• Gawdinfever Z6
    3 years ago

I thought that first pic was Pow Wow Berry, at first.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 years ago

Wow FrozeBudd, once again your photos have left me speechless. Your combinations, as usual, are stunning.

I love that echinacea with the spikey green and pink petals! Is that something different, or just a stage of one of the PS? I would love a bloom that stayed like that!

Dee

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 years ago

Shucks, you're tooo kind Diggerdee! ... but, really. the plant breeders and developers I give credit for bringing us all these wonderful flowers! The particular echinacea you mention, indeed that's a single plant and the stages the blooms pass through.

Okay, now how about 'Green Twister' ?

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

FB, so beautiful! How and when do you start your coneflowers?

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 years ago

FB I tried Green Twister from seed two seasons ago, but that was a terrible season for me, so I didn't have good luck with them. They are on my list to try again. LOVE the pink/green combo!

Dee

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    3 years ago

Dee, I was thinking the same thing that once you start perennials you're usually set!

But those echinacea are worth starting again and again, and I'd love to see what all those delphinium looked like, wow! Selecting down to 20 favorites :)

I have a weakness for hellebores and chrysanthemum from seed. The chrysanthemums are nice enough to die out if I neglect them, plus in May they're easy to rip out because who wants chrysanthemums in May? But in September and October all is forgiven.

The hellebores are so much harder to toss. They never die but if your shovel is sharp enough it's easy to slice out the crown and leave the mass of roots behind to rot... of course then I stupidly think I can fit three new seedlings into the empty spot of one mature plant...

It's too late to plant hellebores now unless you keep them indoors for a few warm weeks before they go cold, but I've actually got to go out and collect chrysanthemum seeds today and then I'll probably sow them some time this month (in pots outside).

Primrose from seed is another fun one. Most of the older plants usually dry out and die over the summer but a smart gardener just always has a new batch of seedlings coming along... says the gardener who does not have a new batch of seedlings coming along.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 years ago

Bellarosa, I sow the echinacea in early February, I do not utilize grow lights, though have some nice south facing windows. Currently, the asclepias tuberosa seeds are now stratifying, I love these, only wish to have other colors beyond orange.

Diggerdee, that's frustrating regarding the oriental beetle, seems there's more and more bugger insects to pester our plants! :( I hope 2021 shall be a very nice growing season for you!

Katob, ahhhh, chrysanthemums have been a favorite since I was a kid, only problem is that so few perform well this far north, sigh! I have but three hellebores and should purchase more! Primroses can be hit and miss depending on the winter snow cover, but yes, I'm currently germinating seeds of 'Supernova Mixture'

This yellow from the 'Crescendo Mixture' is a bit of a standout, the variety also being among the most hardy in general.

The below two I grew out of seed from Barnhaven Primroses

LOVED this one, though it up and rotted off at the crown during warm pleasant weather, I mourn its loss! :(

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

FB, your flowers are beautiful as always. Do you utilize the winter sowing method for starting your coneflowers?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 years ago

Bellarosa, other than maybe scratching some seeds into the ground in late autumn, I otherwise stick to indoor sowing. I just research the particular seed requirements and pay good due attention and almost always have good results.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 years ago

Kato, I had forgotten about primroses! And FB, your gorgeous photos reinforced why I always loved them. Mine have all petered out over the years. Perhaps it's time to sow some more!

Dee

• Gawdinfever Z6
    3 years ago

FrozeBudd: Those yellows are outstanding!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 years ago

Diggerdee, have you possibly ever divided any of your favorite primroses, this will help to keep them going.

Gawdinfever, that yellow 'Crescendo' really is cream of the crop best of series, the reddish yellow being from the 'Tango' series from Barnhaven Primroses, though unfortunately as I had mentioned, I believe I've now lost the plant :(

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    3 years ago

Well that didn't help. I tried looking up old primrose pictures, remembered how nice they were, thought about how I killed nearly all of them, and then decided I really miss them. Sooooo logical next step is to visit the American Primrose Society and just take a peek at their seed exchange this year. Digital membership $25, up to 20 exchange seed packets at $1 each... 45 dollars later and I have more primrose seed than I'll ever need.

If I waited until March I could have skipped membership and selected from the leftovers. You can't beat 10 packets for $8 since many can't be found elsewhere and a good amount are straight from Barnhaven primroses in France. I'm always a sucker for the Cowichan primroses with their darker colors and lack a yellow eye.

Granet Cowichan:

They send to Canada but suggest a donation for the higher shipping costs... just saying :)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    3 years ago

Some lilies are also fun from seed. I don't know why, but growing a bulb from seed always makes me super impressed with myself!

Regal Lilies will flower in two to three years, lilium formosum can flower the first year and will self sow around your garden if you let the seeds ripen.

Other lilies can take a lot longer...

• Gargamel
    3 years ago

Baptisia australis is a great one for me

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 years ago

"... I tried looking up old primrose pictures, remembered how nice they were, thought about how I killed nearly all of them, and then decided I really miss them. ,,,"

Omg, that was me too lol! Except I restrained myself from looking online. I think I have some old primrose seeds in my seed box I might try to sow.

Frozebudd, no, never did think to divide my primroses. Huh, guess I never realized that was an option...

Dee

• cab84
    3 years ago

I grew Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy from seed this past summer. I suppose it’s a short lived perennial, but it was super easy to grow from seed. I had a problem with the bunnies eating it though after I transplanted it to my garden. It did much better in my raised bed where the bunnies couldn’t get to it.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 years ago

Katob, yes, the Cowichans have always tempted and I really should give in at some point! I'm also a big lover of lilies, though have never raised any from seed. There's a well known lily breeder very nearby that has produced some beautiful creations of his own.

DiggerDee, indeed, primroses can get rather leafy after a few years with reduced blooming and benefit from digging and dividing and then allowing one to pass along some of the nicest to family and friends! :)

Just for fun, another photo ... sorry, I can't get enough of the 'Prairie Splendor' lol.

The Russian Yellow hollyhock is another star performer!

And, I love my seed grown heliopsis, this one being a unique dwarf with great foliage.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

That Prairie Splendor is pretty, FBudd. How tall is it? And I do like Hollhocks, but that flower doesn't look like one. Is it a different variety?

I used to grow Delphinium from New Zealand from seed too. I wondered why I stopped but I guess it was the staking.. They are gorgeous though and while not difficult to grow from seed I did find the germination rate was not high.

Does anyone grow a tall Heliepsis that is sturdy and clean?

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Regular Hollyhock is Alcea rosea from China. Yellow Russian Hollyhock is Alcea rugosa and originates from Ukraine. I grow a the straight, native Heliopsis, and it gets about 4 feet tall and stays mostly upright. What do you mean by clean Heliopsis?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

On the Heliopsis - I mean, healthy foliage I guess. On th Hollyhock - the Russian is a little different than the regular hollyhock, which for me always got rust so I stopped growing them. The attraction being the huge blooms.

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I used to grow the yellow Russian hollyhock, but removed them as the Japanese beetles LOVED them too much! As soon as they started to bloom, they would devour the flowers. We live next to a cornfield, and I'm thinking that's where those darn beetles are coming from. On the plus side, they never touched my coneflowers!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 years ago

Prairiemoon, the 'Prairie Splendor' grows to 2.5 to 3 ft tall. The Russian Yellow hollyhock has good rust resistance and has remained clean and healthy in my gardens, it blooms like a fool as well. Thankfully, we yet don't have Japanese beetles here.

I really like 'Venus' heliopsis, bloom are large and plants are quite sturdy, though in wetter years can flop as this one had, it's worth the effort to stake though!

'Venus' heliopsis

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

Thanks FBudd - Wow - it really blooms! lol Very pretty, I'm going to have to find a place for another one. I had one that I ripped out because something kept happening to the foliage every year. And yes, I'm going to have to try to get that PS too. Do you grow a white one? It's been a long time since I had Coneflower but I used to have both.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 years ago

Prairiemoon, I think aphids and a particular type of moth have now become a problem for some who grow heliopsis, always something new it seems to attack the plants! Currently, I have no white echinacea, though had grown 'PowWow White' in the past. Am considering sending away for more seeds, though really shouldn't ! lol.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    3 years ago

I have started from seed Asclepius tuberosa and Iberis sempervirens, both of which were pretty easy for me. I have many more that I allow to selfseed around the garden.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

Totally agree with everyone about Asclepias. A. t. is the only one I have grown from seed (winter sowing) but now I will try A. incarnata. Monarch cats eat the foliage of A. tuberosa but never to the point of defoliation unlike A. incarnata. My purchased plant was completely denuded two years in a row. I will try them from seed to get many plants.

Coeopsis 'Sunray' is a fun one because they usually bloom first year. I just gather seed from my own to start every couple of years since they bloom themselves to death every few years.

Centaurea dealbata, montana & macrocephala

Linum perenne

Lobelia cardinalis & syphilitica

Clematis integrifolia

Gaillardia especially 'Goblin'

Pulsatilla vulgaris

Lychnis (now Silene) coronaria & chalcedonica

All of these start easily with winter sowing.

There are others that take much longer to get a good sized plant such as Amsonia hubrichtii, Dictamnus albus & Platycodon.

There are others but these are some that I have had great success with that I don't think have been mentioned yet.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

Peren.all -- I forgot about Coreopsis 'Sunray' - I enjoyed that plant for years. Very easy.

These were plants I winter sowed that I believe were pretty easy....

Dianthus

Penstemon

Callirhoe

Ascelpias incarnata 'Cinderella' and 'Ice Ballet'

Salvia 'Rose Queen'

Shasta Daisy

Agastache rugosa 'Honey Bee Blue'

Hosta

Then there are these that maybe are all Biennials, very much worth growing and easy....

Aquilegia

Lupine

Digitalis

Lavatera

Malva

bellarosa thanked prairiemoon2 z6b MA
  • cecily 7A
    3 years ago

Milkweed tussock moths will cover my asclepias and defoliate it before the monarchs have a chance to use it. I've been hand picking the tussock moth larvae but greatly increasing the number of milkweed plants I grow feels like a better option. Also, since common milkweed has larger foliage I think it provides more forage so I'm allowing that to spread from the roots.

3 years ago

cecily since I started growing A. tuberosa & incarnata the Monarch cats have ignored A. syriaca. I still leave some but it is almost pointless. I guess they have become connoisseurs lol!

• cecily 7A
    3 years ago

Monarchs use my syriaca exclusively, possibly because that's all that's left after the tussock moths do their thing or possibly because the syriaca grows fresh foliage after early tussock moth defoliation. Monarchs arrive here in August while the moth larvae appears in June. Thus, the syriaca has soft, fresh leaves when the monarchs arrive.

3 years ago

Oh dear, I have started to see the tussock moth cats in the last year maybe two. I will need to be vigilant.

• Gargamel
    3 years ago

Lobelia siphilitica seeds itself all over the place. I started with 4 plants on one side of my property and within 3 years I had it everywhere..and have been battling it ever since. (zone 5a/b Muskoka, Ontario , 4 feet average snowfall, -15 C average winter temp, climate somewhat moderated by lake)

• B Maggic-Ontario Z6
    3 years ago

@frozebudd_z3/4 I love your photos as well! I saved seeds of my pow wow white and could send you some from Canada. DM me if you would like.

Some of my favourite first year blooming perennials from seed are:
    Early sunrise coreopsis
    Cheyenne spirit echinacea
    Kensington mix dianthus
    Astello indigo agastache

bellarosa thanked B Maggic-Ontario Z6
  • Skip1909
    3 years ago

I think I'm going to cut my Asclepias syriaca back after flowering this year to give the Monarchs some freshly regrown foliage. Last year they ignored my syriaca and went exclusively for the A. incarnata too.

If a plant is available from seed thats how I prefer to get them, because you can make so many more plants for less money, especially if you are patient enough to wait for them to grow up. I've done Penstemons, Lobelias, milkweeds, coneflower, sunflowers, Rudbeckia, Senna, Lespedeza, Lupines, Silene, Geranium, goldenrods, asters, eupatoriums, joe pye weed, Gentian, Phlox, coreopsis, fleabanes, st john's wort, Liatris, mints, grasses, sedges, callirhoe, oak leaf hydrangea, bayberry, sweet pepper bush, and redbud.

3 years ago

Gargamel yes indeed Lobelia syphilitica seeds about rampantly but I am a blue fan (I also like the white). I try to deadhead in a timely fashion but I do not always succeed. I would not want to be without it. nh Babs is not a fan either for it's ability to seed but I also adore Rudbeckia triloba lol!

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

FB, what's the name of the beautiful pink phlox in your 3rd pic? You have a beautiful garden and I always enjoy seeing your garden pics!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 years ago

Bellarosa, thank you, I really do love my gardens! The phlox pictured above is a reversion of 'Becky Towe' ... 'BT' is a variegated mutation of 'Windsor', in which I like every bit as much with its plain dark foliage.

'Windsor'

'Becky Towe' shown below :)

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

FB, thanks! They are both beautiful! I love phlox.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting