SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

December 2020, Week 5

dbarron
3 years ago

Well, I waited for someone else to grab the hitching post and post up, but everyone was sleeping in today!

Well this is it for December and 2020, we say goodbye this week. I can only hope that 2021 is brighter. My heart is yearning toward some sort of ritual to welcome a new year, it seems more important than usual. Anyone else feel that way?

Today, being as the forecast is 73, In June or July, I ordered some plants from Plant Delights (expensive place..but some very hard to find things), including an Aleutian Island Maidenhair Fern (which I've never ever been able to grow...any maidenhair). Well not only did it live through the summer, but it *still* has leaves on it. And given that it's not evergreen, and those delicate fluttery little fronds...it seems kinda amazing to look almost as perky as it did in September today. I mean it's gone through 20F 2 or 3 times, and 17F once last week.

I'm going to repot an African Violet that needs bigger living quarters (from 2 1/2 inch pot to 4), where it should live out it's lifespan (though needing some soil changes from time to time).

I have Echinacea 'Mellow Yellow' that's undergone 4-5 weeks of chilling in the fridge that I will plant today into a pot.

I planted Heliopsis 'Burning Hearts' back a bit before Thanksgiving, and not only have they germinated, but I'm amazed at how much faster they seem to be growing than the ones I started outside two years ago. Makes me wonder if I have a pot of weeds, they're only advancing toward first true leaves, but they're so big and vigorous compared to what I think I remember.

I need to clear out the remaining trash from the tree trimming, but I will prioritize tending living plants over dealing with dead ones.

Comments (79)