SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_710418269

Design Help Needed: enlarging bathroom and combining two bedrooms

Lisa Mac
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My husband and I are empty nesters living in a 1971, 1100 square foot ranch with 4 bedrooms and 1 1/2 bathrooms. The main bathroom needs to be remodeled and there was a water issue on the outside wall of the tub so it will be a gut job. We want the remodel to reflect an age in place design and we plan to use the adjacent bedroom for extra space. We want to take down the wall between the 2 bedrooms to create a master bedroom. We are struggling with the best layout as we want to keep the bathtub but we also want a walk in shower accessible from the 'new' master bedroom. We are unsure about double sinks. One idea is to gut the existing bathroom and use minimally designed fixtures to allow for more floor space. Then add a 3 piece bathroom in the adjacent bedroom along with a closet/dressing area to create a master bedroom. The other idea is to just enlarge the bathroom with all fixtures and add a door to the closet/master bedroom. We recognize the 2 bathroom idea will cost more due to possible extra fixtures and my husband thinks 2 1/2 bathrooms in a small house is unnecessary. I just want to be able to access the bathroom from our bedroom and I'm fine with 2 1/2 bathrooms. I think the bigger issue is creating the best layout for the limited space. The sketch below doesn't show the 2 other bedrooms but they are narrower and you can see the door for the bedroom on the other side of the bathroom. I truly appreciate any ideas as we are stuck right now. Thank you.

Comments (35)