SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

What would you call this "style" house? A present from Pal

mtnrdredux_gw
3 years ago

The fabled Palimpsest sent me the link to this crazy house. I thought i'd share it here. It is such a spectacular find, I had to give Pal credit for finding it!

Nothing says "balustrade" like a South Philly rowhouse, amirite?

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/1924-schley-street--1

Make sure to click thru and see the double-decker kitchen with the granite sliding board!

Comments (74)

• daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

There's a saying about how you can't tell if your doctor graduated at the top or the bottom of the class by the diploma hanging on the wall. I guess the same goes for architects.

• pudgeder
    3 years ago

Glad I don't live in that 'hood.

Tuscanomaly for sure!!

• Related Discussions

What would you call this style furniture?

Q

Comments (48)
    I now recant my statement about machine carving. Asymmetry is a good indication that it was hand carved. Perfect symmetry means machine made. Also, the roughness around the leaves indicate hand work. The wood used for the front of the case may be different from the wood used on the side. Or not. A picture of the screw would be good to determine if the core or thread is tapered or the core is tapered and the thread is not. Are both screws an exact match? Is the screwdriver slot in the middle on each of the heads? All these things would be readly apparent if one were to see the object in person, but are difficult to discern from parceled out photographs. So far, I believe Casey's appraisal is holding up. Still a very nice piece of furniture.
    ...See More

What would you call this style?

Q

Comments (19)
    I'm not switching to Arts and Crafts...but I did think it was unusual that this kitchen looked kind of cottage to me. I think it was all the things you're saying are not A & C...the lights, the arched doors, the beadboard on the banquette, and the windows. Our area does have a lot of homes, like Rosie describes, where people have taken these types of houses and painted all the wood. They are very inviting, but I like the posts and ceiling beams...I always thought that was kind of cottage...but not the hardware and square shapes of the cabinetry. So, what is cottage? I'm not really looking for the beach cottage look, more of a woodland cottage/Snow White...but not all heavy wood. I don't mind wood floors, counters, even ceiling beams...but I like creamy white cabinetry and trim. Also, what is craftsman cottage? Is that somewhere in between, or just another type of A & C? Thanks for the info...I'm learning as I go :)
    ...See More

What style would you call this house?

Q

Comments (6)
    Beautiful, looks as if it might be a Mississippi/Alabama area Plantation style home. I hope it's not too far gone, because the grounds look really lovely with the pond out back.
    ...See More

what would you call this style?

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks Patricia! Yes, I do find the interior door handles and the lighting work well together, and don’t plan on changing either. I am just looking to replace our front door handle as I don’t like the look of it and it is a deadlock style which I don’t like as it’s harder to unlock in the winter with the expansion of the wood. It’s currently a bright brass boring style and very scratched up. Just want to find something in a similar style to our interior handles that I shared the picture of. Am struggling to find something I like.
    ...See More
  • Gooster
    3 years ago

The interior frankly looks like many suburban Northern California suburbs where Fuscan was all the rage. That does not phase me. It seems almost like the owners had a dream home, had some money, but didn't want to leave their neighborhood. I hope they enjoy their next home.

The realtor, bless their heart, picked the best angle for the exterior shot. You don't get a full appreciation of the Frankenstein architecture until you round the corner, and see the "whoa" appended to the row homes.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm afraid to ask what kind of portmanteau is "Fuscan?"

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    3 years ago

I love it. Oh dear, what does that say?

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

I have no words.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Skibbylove, you do not!

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

I can seeJames Gandolfini walking about in his undershirt (god, how I miss him) and Edie Falco getting the parm out of the freezer.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

The realtor forgot to tell them to depersonalize the house. It will be a problem unless the new owners have kids named Marie-Elena, Christian and Blake

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

Whether their taste exceeds their bank account balance or vice versa, I’ll leave it up to you to determine. (article linked above).

OUCH! Great article, dedtired.

• maddielee
    3 years ago

Pal needs to come back.

• elunia
    3 years ago

It looks like the newer listing photos (at least for living room and kitchen) attempted to depersonalize the space by removing furnishings. unfortunately, no one bothered to clean the floor or the dusty counters before the photo shoot!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

Well, darn. I just went in to ask my husband if he would consider moving back to PA! How could he resist? He just said, "no." Sigh. ;-)

ETA: That huge shower with the seating all the way around just begs for Tony and the boys to be sitting in the steam with their cigars plotting someone's demise.

• texanjana
    3 years ago

From the article posted by Mtn: “Before we go further into this house, we should observe these facts: There are people in this world with money. There are people in this world with taste. There are people in this world with more taste than money, and those with more money than taste.”

• Joaniepoanie
    3 years ago

Oh my——a far cry from my grandmother’s NE Philly row home!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Oh my!

I hesitate to get too catty about it. They might be perfectly nice folks.

But it's not like they're ever going to see my comments here. The phrase 'delusions of grandeur' did cross my mind.

Another is phrase I got from a dear friend: their taste is all in their mouth.

The exterior reminds me of this horrible McMansion down at the end of our street - which is up for sale again for I think the 4th or 5th time in 8 years. I just cannot understand why nobody ever thinks to repaint the exterior. Photos don't do it justice. There's a section randomly painted in a stippled pattern of reddish brown and ochre that looks like poop.

Bless their hearts; these realtors really have to put lipstick on a pig sometimes. I love how the palm on the right perfectly hides the poopy brown section above the balcony...

What is it with these mass produced balustrades and McMansions anyway?

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I do believe that facade is the fugliest thing I have ever laid eyes on.

• cawaps
    3 years ago

Yeah, that is truly a monstrosity.

The "what would you call this style" question reminded me of this San Francisco house that I used to drive by weekly. I dubbed it a Mission-style Queen Anne. Sorry for the poor picture quality, they are from Google street view.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Interesting. I don't think two-toning house, esp top and bottom works that well.

• deegw
    3 years ago

The outside is terrible. Most of the interior finishes are workable if not all to my taste. I don't mind one or two oddly shaped rooms but a whole house filled with curved walls and half-walls and jigs and jags would make me crazy.

I'm saving this pic for the next time anyone asks if they should put an ebony finish on their floor. Only if you love to clean or have excellent help.

• deegw
    3 years ago

Do you think this is her wedding dress?

• deegw
    3 years ago

One more comment, I can't tear my eyes away from this house! I am surprised there isn't another full kitchen in the basement.

• nini804
    3 years ago

Oh Gawd! 😳

You know, I saw this documentary about gypsy families a long time ago...and this house reminded me of that for some reason.

I was really distracted by the vanishing curtain rods to nowhere.

• hcbm
    3 years ago

This kind of overgrown home is being built in all the outer boroughs of NYC. Detached single family houses are being rebuilt out to lot lines and height restrictions. It is happening in areas that were once blue collar and middle class. The homes are usually not knocked down or the city wouldn't let them build larger. It's a loophole in the building code in many areas. For example neighborhoods like Mid-wood Brooklyn, Dyker Heights Brooklyn, Whitestone Queens and Rego Park Queens to name a few. In upper class areas like Brooklyn Heights, and Park Slope the brownstones are protected on the front side by the Landmarks Commission. They are often purchased in great condition and completely gutted to a shell, the back wall is pushed out as far as code allows, an extra story is placed on top so that it isn't visible from the front and then often all the original detail is recreated in a slightly more modern way. I've seen two side by side large Brownstones bought reconfigured on the inside into one home, but on the outside it still looks exactly the same, like two houses.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Dee, that was the first thing I noticed, the dusty floors. I was thinking, couldn’t someone have come in with a Swiffer before they took the photos? Makes you then wonder about the rest of the house and the carpets, even though it looks clean. The whole house is oddly busy and ornate for the size of some of the rooms. Some of the kid bedrooms seem so small, yet all that space is used for grand staircases and such.

The condition of the bed platform in the main bedroom is puzzling. Did a dog chew it off? It does seem to be torn as someone mentioned.

If the house is still occupied, it’s understandable the rooms are somewhat personalized, but still it is usually advised to depersonalize as much as possible. I’m sure there are some clients who just won’t.

• User
    3 years ago

Honestly I expected the inside to be ten times more... just MORE than it was based off the exterior design. That’s pretty wild.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Some of the kid bedrooms seem so small, yet all that space is used for grand staircases and such.

That made me think of when I toured Hearst Castle - the staircases were anything but grand, think more emergency service stairs. Of course they made up for it in massive fireplaces.

• Gooster
    3 years ago

@ mtn asked...

"I'm afraid to ask what kind of portmanteau is 'Fuscan?'"

Faux Tuscan I don't know what other combination might have crossed your mind ;)

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Gooster
  • User
    3 years ago

**Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.**

Perhaps that should be the architect and builders’ motto, similar to the doctors’ pledge, “first, do no harm.”

Add interior decorators to that, and balustrade sellers 😎

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

I've gone back and looked at the photos several times - it's like a train wreck. All that money and renovation and they still ended up with a small dining room that isn't even connected to the kitchen.

From Philly Mag:

"Instead, one must head through the totally tricked-out chef’s kitchen, climb a few steps to its butler’s pantry, then walk through a short hallway past the pantry and powder room to get to the dining room."

According to Redfin the listing agent is John Bolaris, who was once a fairly well know weatherman in Phila. and now specializes in handling real estate for celebrities and athletes.

• Indigo Rose
    3 years ago

I found it more than a little sad. All those "grand details" with , what - no ceiling moldings at all?? and no grand landscaping and neighborhood to match. Even if I liked the interior, I would not be able to reconcile the disconnect with the views of asphalt, parked cars etc. Luckily, there will be someone who will find it all just right. ETA please tell Pal how much he is missed!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yeah, the views are sad to me.

But I am seeing it differently --- I think these are people who wanted to stay in a neighborhood they perhaps had long connections to... I am further guessing the house next door is for the inlaws.

• dedtired
    3 years ago

People who have lived all their lives in South Philly really love the place although more and more are crossing the river into New Jersey.

John Bolaris! Haven’t thought of him in a long time.

• hhireno
    3 years ago

People who have lived all their lives in South Philly really love the place

Back in the 80’s, I saw a wedding show where they followed the planning and wedding of 2 brides. One was from South Philly, the other Connecticut. The Ct rehearsal dinner was in a tent on the grounds of their yacht club. The other was a street party in South Philly, which looked like a great time for the whole neighborhood.

(The best part of the show was the brides showing their Moms the dresses. The S. Philly bride said “I think this is the one!” The pushy Mom said “No, I’ll tell you when it’s the one.” 😆 While back in Ct, that Mom said “I’m sorry I’m not much help, you look beautiful in every dress.” )

• dedtired
    3 years ago

The South Philly mom probably said No, hon. Great people. Salt of the earth.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I don't want to veer too far into mean-spiritedness, as a native of the Philadelphia area (ok, Bucks County) and current resident of CT.

The culture of So. Philly and NY metro CT are be quite different, but juxtaposing them that way on the bridal show sounds like they were demeaning the former.

Without going there, I think a lot of us can agree that this renovation was ill-advised. Putting an Airlite next to a CT farmhouse would be unfair. But putting this thing next to an Airlite, the original was better IMHO.

OTOH, you have to wonder why someone with means so outsized relative to the original home would choose to stay put. The community that the bridal show was mocking must be very meaningful to them?

• User
    3 years ago

What’s an Airlite? (I did check, but Google only says it’s a revolutionary new plastic.)

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

^^^This article that mtn posted above explains what an Airlite is

https://jonmillerhomes.com/airlite-homes-for-sale-in-roxborough-manayunk

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

KSWL, It's a particular style of modest home built in that area.

BBSTX, I'm from the Philly burbs and didn't know either. Sounds like "Levittown" homes to me.

https://jonmillerhomes.com/airlite-homes-for-sale-in-roxborough-manayunk

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

All I can say is Yikes!!

And do tell pal he's sorely missed.

• Lars
    3 years ago

< I don't think two-toning house, esp top and bottom works that well.>

This was commonly done in Renaissance Italy. Here's an example from Venato.

My house is also two-toned, top and bottom, but it was built in 1950.

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

I think she got the framed wedding dress idea from Adrienne Malooff in Bravo's Housewives of Beverly Hills. It was in the entrance to their closets. Divorced now, so wonder what she did with it.

When searching for her dress, I saw this one - "Michaels framed my wedding dress in a custom shadow box. I waited until they had 60% off plus an additional 25% off. It was only $700. And now it's always displayed on the wall walking downstairs. Better than rotting away in a box in the attic." I think she should have kept her $700.

Most of the others on Pinterest are bad. Pinterest Dresses.

• sc_irish
    3 years ago

Has anyone researched the "look-alike" house next door? Seems that Blake, Marie Elena , Christian and Allisandra also 'reside' there.....at least, use the Mikey Mouse bathroom. And, there is more room for them at the kitchen island.....4 chairs v 3 chairs.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LOL we've all gotten too invested in this tale!

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

Ok, so I finally dared to open the link. I chose to see the trees and not the forest.

First - I strangely love the wedding dress idea. Maybe because my eBay Reem Acra dress was the first true designer piece I ever owned (and the only wedding dress I considered). I mean, because....love and all..... I’ve already told DH we have to move to accommodate my need for a Clozmahall. Now I need to find a wall.....Cuz we ain't moving.

Second, that weird Roman column sink in the powder room is horrible. I love it!

• Gooster
    3 years ago

OK, since sc_irish mentioned it, I looked up the home next door, also for sale:

https://www.longandfoster.com/homes-for-sale/3135-S-Uber-Street-Philadelphia-PA-19145-298378534

I'm guessing mtnredux is correct and the in-laws live next door (and this house is a better layout and a little more restrained inside and out). I'm hoping the dual sale is because the clan wants to move somewhere else and not because of any sort of need to downsize due to the economic impact of the pandemic.

• cattyles
    3 years ago

Poor house. I think it looks embarrassed. The owners obviously took it very seriously, though.

• just_terrilynn
    3 years ago

I couldn’t live with that exterior but it wouldn’t take much...only $$$$

It’s the goofy sticky-outy and step area that would be a must go. Also needs landscaping and full paint. Probably code wouldn’t allow for steps where I’d want them. Maybe a deal breaker, although one could just knock off that whole section of weirdness and do a whole new entry.

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

If I had to pick a favorite, it would be 3135. It's not as tawdry.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, it's the sticky-outy, I agree, Jterri