SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaunaanderson

Exterior paint refresh of 1920s foursquare house

shaunaanderson
3 years ago

In April 2019, I queried the Houzz community for ideas on refreshing our sad looking stucco American Foursquare house. I received lots of great recommendations and due to Covid-19, I spent this spring/summer/early fall painting the house exterior myself.

So, before we had this dated off-white and dark brown trim house, with patched stucco repair compliments of my carpenter husband:

You can barely see that there are cute window boxes on the front porch and the white vinyl storm door is the unfortunate feature that draws the eye.

Now it is winter in the Midwest, so the green grass is gone, but here is the after:

We replaced the storm door with a vintage screen door, removed the shrubs under the flower boxes and painted all the stucco and trim. We chose Woolen Vest for the body, Only Oatmeal for the trim and Cherokee Red for the door, the corbels under the flower boxes, and other architectural features on the sides and back of the house. All paints from PPG.

Now that the paint is done, I can't wait for spring 2021 to dive into landscaping! This yard is a blank canvas and I want to add some color and dimension under the flowerboxes and along the front walkway.

Just wanted to say thanks to the Houzzers who helped me see different color schemes that would work, and think we landed on the right combination that fits the era of the house AND I would still love in ten years.

Comments (12)