FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
dan_fox6

Crate and Barrel order delay - Feedback please!

Dan Fox
last year

We ordered over $7k worth of Crate and Barrel furniture in August. We were told that the delivery timeframe for our order was to be 4-6 weeks. Five delay notifications later and our new delivery timeframe is 29 weeks. They have our money but will not deliver our goods for over 7 months!

Customer service will not discuss any modification to cost or compensation until the order is delivered. It doesn't seem like we have any recourse but to sit and be newly upset with each additional delay notification. Does anyone have any ideas for anything that we can do at this point?

Has anyone else had a similar experience with order delays this long?

@Crate&Barrel

Comments (127)

• HU-404996779
    7 months ago

We ordered axis sectional in May, still haven't received it. When I called the store they said they have recently opened a new warehouse and we should be able to get our delivery sooner than the expected delivery date. I don't know how much of this is true.

• HU-789826885
    7 months ago

Canceled my order for the gather wood base sectional after the chaise delivery date was moved to ”early March”. After 6 months of waiting, only received $100 gift card & promise of shipping waived on a future order

• Related Discussions

Crate and Barrel- quality of kitchen table/chairs?

Q

Comments (6)
    My personal opinion is that you can find manufacturers of furniture made in the US for close to the same prices. Everything C&B, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware make is made in Asia. Even some Stickley stuff is being made in Vietnam. Check out Chatham Furniture Inc. All solid Cherry made in Massachussetts. It might not be your style, but you can get the idea of some really good craftsmanship. I bought an end table for $649 and it's hand made solid cherry. I would pay $100 less for one that's not solid hardwood, made in Asia. The difference to me is that when I die, that tables going to still be around and someone's going to want it.
    ...See More

Gently used Crate & Barrel Axis sectional question

Q

Comments (1)
    Here is a picture showing the chaise end. This gently used sectional is also a Crate & Barrel Axis.
    ...See More

Does anyone have a crate and barrel sectional

Q

Comments (13)
    @kreizman, and @namarie, thank you both for the update! I'm debating on going with a @Monarch Sofas C&B Axis II lookalike. I'm forever paranoid of foam breaking down and I am thinking their upgraded foam may ease my worries depending on the density of their High Resiliancy foam. I'm still undecided. I hate not being able to sit on a sofa first. ‍♀️ I've just seen some craigslist Axis sofas that look very broken down. But then again, Monarch is smaller, so picture of years old sofas online will be few and far between. Sorry... rambling. Lol Thanks again!
    ...See More

Is Crate & Barrel quality furniture? Please help me decide

Q

Comments (4)
    Did you decide on a sofa?? We purchased two sofas and two chairs from Crate & Barrel almost 15 years ago and they have held up beautifully! We do have children and one small dog, so they get a LOT of use, and I'm still so pleased with the purchase! Ours are slipcovered. In the next year, I'm going to replace the cushions and the slip covers. In the past few years I've purchased a few sofas from Pottery Barn for other rooms in our home and they do not compare to the C&B pieces. I wish I had done C&B for everything.
    ...See More
  • Brandy Skelly
    7 months ago

We ordered an Axis II sectional in October 2020, we’re quoted 12 weeks, and it ended up taking 8 months.

I contacted Executive Customer Service (847 272 2888) and with a bit of reluctance they did offer a 20% discount.

• Xty G (z4)
    7 months ago

I ordered a Gather sectional from C&B on August 17, 2021 and continue to get emails about delays. The latest said sometime in February. I was actually prepared for this when I made my order so I am not overally upset, but if these delays continue well into the spring, i will be very bummed. I don’t mind being patient but my biggest fear is after such a long wait, there will be something wrong with it and I will have to wait again for a replacement.

• poeia
    7 months ago

After waiting 6 months for my Declan leather swivel chairs to arrive with only one delay - yup one of the chairs was damaged. Instead of reordering I was able to settle with C&B for a discount on the chair. We were able to have it repaired by a neighbor who is an upholsterer.

• HU-360903077
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

We ordered our Axis sectional in September 2021. We actually received the chaise in December 2021 (3 months). The remaining pieces are showing early feb (2 pieces) and mid feb (1 piece). They actually moved up our delivery time for the 2 pieces from late Feb to early Feb - so who knows! We joke it will be summer before we get our full couch.

• Mani
    7 months ago

I placed my order around the end of May for the Axis sofa in Douglas ice which was their 'in-stock' fabric and the estimated date moved from Nov to Dec to mid-Feb now.

• HU-651917996
    6 months ago

We ordered a furniture set in July. they delivered the matching chair in October. we were delayed and delayed. we were told our furniture would be delivered today. even gave us a delivery time. They called today to cancel because…. …Now they say its another 2weeks. i

think they delivered the chair to keep us locked in. We paid in full in the beginning.

• Holly Burkett Deguet
    6 months ago

I'm also waiting on a couple of Pacific couches we purchased (1/2 $ down) in Sept. in their standard "in stock" bliss fabric with a delivery date of mid Jan. Got an email update in early Dec. that it was on time, then when i checked in early Jan. at first it said March, then just backordered. Still saying backordered and when I contacted customer service to ask for an update they said looks like should be March, but wouldn't update the online estimate which scares me a bit. It's for a rental house that is booked for rentals in the summer so if we don't get them in time it's a problem. We've not had problems with C&B in the past and just in 2020 took delivery of a wonderful lounge sectional that we practically live on. We really want the couches but wondering if it's time to cut and run to another place. 2 questions for others here: 1) have you successfully gotten a refund on deposits if pushed too far and 2) are any other stores (Room & Board/Pottery Barn etc) having similar difficulty due to pandemic/supply chain issues? Thanks for any further insights. Reading the existing comments doesn't bring me a lot of comfort.

• K 2667
    6 months ago

I ordered a Gather Sectional in a custom color in August 2021. I was told early November, then early December, mid-January and now mid-March. I have no couch either as I decided to not bring it on my x-country move. Big open space in my living room. C&B is a nightmare although they did waive shipping. Not sure if I should also cut my losses and cancel. Does anyone know anything about the actual source of these delays. They will NOT be transparent. Is there an end in sight or not. Just tell us and stop wasting our time.

• HU-360903077
    6 months ago

update - our Axis 4 piece sectional is scheduled to have the last 3 remaining pieces delivered on Feb 16th. We ordered the Douglas Nickle on Sep 22. So from order placed to delivery under 5 months. Maybe things are improving. they also waived delivery fee.

• Xty G (z4)
    6 months ago

HU, how did you go about getting the refund on the shipping? Did you call, email, go to the store? Can I ask specifically what you said? I would like to try for at least that compensation since I am still waiting on the Gather Sectional I ordered in August.

• HU-308147895
    5 months ago

Hey Xty G,

I was googling online and noticed those who complained on BBB received a response/discount almost immediately. Maybe you can try that route? After reading everyone's comments I'm a bit hesitant to purchase the Axis Sofa.....

Link to BBB https://www.bbb.org/us/il/northbrook/profile/general-merchandise/crate-barrel-0654-16000284/complaints

• Anna Elizabeth
    5 months ago

Hi! another person here - put 50% down on august 8th for gather wood sectional; today i got an update its been delayed for the 5th time until march 8th. I have no sofa since moving in October. I am super dissapointed

• HU-308147895
    5 months ago

yikes! I really want the Axis sofa, their estimated delivery time is October. I have sofas in the house already so i'm debating if I would just wait.

• HU-360903077
    5 months ago

We recieved our Axis 4 piece sectional in less than 5 months, but we ordered an in stock fabric. i think we were one of the lucky ones.

• Mani
    5 months ago

My sofa with ottoman was finally delivered after 8.5 months. The delivery timeline was pretty close to what I gathered from the reviews on this site and their own - Douglas nickel takes around 5-6 months, and ice 8-9. For what it's worth, while the wait is insane, I adore the end product!

• Frances L
    5 months ago

Thank you!

• Sarah
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

I ordered the Lounge Deep Sofa in Cement Taft in mid-November, when the estimated delivery listed on the site was January. The receipt then indicated a February delivery. I received an email in December that the sofa was delayed until late March. They finally called last week, and I scheduled a delivery for today. So, quite a delay, but nothing egregious all considered. And for what it's worth, the delivery was seamless once scheduled.

• Christine Kenney
    4 months ago

Mine is a much smaller order, and luckily I don't need it soon. Ordered 2 leather barstools in October. At first told they'd be ready by March. Then June. Now July. I'm not impressed by Crate and Barrel's prices and policies.

• Emily Maron
    3 months ago

I thought I would follow up on my crate and barrel order. As noted above, we ordered in July, was told November, and finally received in February. HOWEVER, there are two fabric tears on the back of my sectional frame. The store thinks that their repair guy can fix it, but the fabric is delayed. So the latest I've heard is late May on the fabric. I still will never order anything from Crate and Barrel again (which is a shame - probably 60% of my furniture and decor is from there). I'm also quite nervous that if the repair is unsatisfactory, I won't have any recourse since it will be so long after the product was delivered.

• jaye05
    3 months ago

Emily - Except for the tear - as I've yet to receive my couch - my story is the same as yours! For the past 25+ years, our home has been filled with C&B furniture. But until the company examines their business process/procedures and makes the necessary changes I will not set foot in a C&B.

I've never experienced such a lack of communication within a company. I ordered a couch last August and regularly received new delivery dates via email. C&B took my money ($7,000) but never took the time to reach out to me (ie a quick phone call) in reference to the constant rescheduling. On April 4th I was contacted by the delivery company (we're 2 hours away from the nearest story) and was told the couch had arrived and they'd deliver it to my door on April 26th. I took the day off from work, cleared out our old couch and waited. At 5p I contacted C&B and told the customer service rep there was no couch. She looked up my order, apologized many times ("I'm so sorry - I'll find out what's going on and I'll call you back.") and agreed with me that the couch should have been delivered to me on the 26th. She never called me back. This morning (AGAIN) I called C&B and LSS - I was told I had my "information wrong...the delivery company will call you in 14-21 days to schedule delivery." The C&B rep was basically telling me that I made up the phone call from the del comp back on April 4th! (I should have asked her if the C&B rep I spoke to last night - who admitted C&B had clearly dropped the ball - was a part of this "delivery conspiracy" as well.) It was glaringly obvious the information in my file was modified to reflect new dates. The FACT that the delivery company called me on April 4th was no longer in the system!!! I simply wish C&B would either tell the truth OR get their stories straight so they can all tell the same lie.

• Holly Deguet
    3 months ago

Update on my comment from a few months ago. Ordered two Pacific couches for a rental property back in Sept. At the time part of the decision was around the earlier delivery time frames posted from other couches of theirs or other sites. Expected in Jan. and still waiting (end of April). It's been 7 months now and still no couches. Site still has status as "ordered" not preparing etc. and delivery timeline simply as "backordered" I have called, chatted and emailed with various reps only to get runaround. Last update provided a couple months ago was Mid April and we were given the option of canceling at that time but decided against it because we really liked the couches and at that point we had pretty limited options on other couches. I've been reaching out regularly and keep getting mid april as confirmed available date. The last two weeks I get the "any day now" and even "within a day you should get a call for delivery". Still nothing. One of the reps gave me a $100 gift card, but not worth the frustration. Honestly if they were just honest with their info. I get that there are delays and supply chain issues but I get different answers from different reps and no clear communication. I will NEVER order from them again and half of our furnishings are from there.

• HU-977195081
    3 months ago

Terrible service from Crate and Barrel... they were not like this before....

They promise a delivery date and then you realise that date is the date when the furniture leaves their warehouse... incredible they cannot be clear about this...

Then after they long distance delivery company FragilePak who never answers the phone, will take 1 to 21 days to take a to a local warehouse and then you have to schedule AGAIN for the real delivery... Incredible!!.. it takes them around 2 months after they charge you 100% (when it leaves their warehouse) until you get your furniture. Customer Servicie responds you exactly what you see in their website... copy/paste... I won't buy from them anymore...

• jaye05
    3 months ago

Update (4/30/22) - Spoke to the shipping company and it was then that i was told Crate & Barrel was overwhelmed with deliveries so they brought in additional (new) delivery companies. The dates that were originally given to me were null & void (erased from my account) and i was reassigned new delivery dates (with no explanation). PLEASE C&B - train your customer service so that they can be informed when talking to their customers!

• Kate
    3 months ago

Haven’t order from CB but ordered front Wayfair of something they said was in stock and gave a delivery date a couple weeks out. When they postponed delivery a couple times (I needed it right away and that’s the only reason I picked this item) I tried to cancel and said the same thing as CB that they will not cancel or refund until after delivery. Making it impossible to buy anything else unless you have the cash laying around.

• HU-308147895
    2 months ago

Hey, was wondering those who were still waiting for their order, did you guys finally receive it? Especially for the Axis couch?

• HU-360903077
    2 months ago

We receieved our Axis couch (non custom fabric) after about 5 and a half months. We ordered it in September and receieved the couch in February

• HU-308147895
    2 months ago

Thank you!! Was its the douglas - nickel fabric ?

• Holly Burkett Deguet
    2 months ago

Still waiting on two Pacific couches ordered in Sept. originally due in Jan., then pushed to mid April. just got an email update this week (mid May) that it now won’t be ready till mid July. so 10 months for couches - if the new estimate is even correct. ugh never ordering at C&B again.

• Xty G (z4)
    2 months ago

I recieved my Gather sectional in April. ordered in August. we love ot so far sonit was worth the wait

• HU-360903077
    2 months ago

Yes it was the douglas nickel - we actually got our chaise within 2 and a half months, but everything else came in at the 5 month mark

• HU-308147895
    2 months ago

Thabk you!!

• Lorina Haxhiaj
    2 months ago

Oh i hate crate and barrel so bad you have no idea! We ordered our sectional sofa last july. Was supposed to arrive mid november and kept being postponed each month. We are almost end of may and delivery was yesterday and guess what? Only half of my couch arrived and nobody can answer me where is the other half...

• HU-308147895
    2 months ago

Lorina Haxhiaj, oh man can i asked which sofa and fabric did you choose?

• Patricia McNamee
    2 months ago

Half a sectional! How does that even happen! 😳

• Lorina Haxhiaj
    2 months ago

Its the gathered wood base sectional, the color aspire blue.

Here is a picture of half of my couch.... the funny thing is nobody knows if its made, or not, delivered wrong or not, at warehouse or not... im so pissed with this shop you have no idea!

• HU-705960316
    2 months ago

We ordered a gas-lift bed in October 2021 and I received 5th notification of another delay (Feb, May, June, early July, late July, August, now it moved to September. I contacted customer service and they had nothing to say except apologies and blaming it on delivery chain disruptions. I asked for partial reimbursement, I was told we can discuss it after successful delivery. Back when it was supposed to arrive in July. We got rid of our bed some time ago and since then we sleep on a mattress. I'm sick and tired of waiting and we're considering cancelling the order altogether. They still have the bed on line with est. delivery 22-24 weeks, our just exceeded 32 weeks of waiting. With apparently 14 more to go. Arrrrgh.

• Jill Spehalski
    last month

We ordered a verve live edge kitchen table in November and are receiving the same notifications each month. We were supposed to get ours originally delivered in March…just got a “new” notice that it is delayed now until mid-August. Beyond disappointed. They really need to tell people the truth when placing orders that they will be substantially delayed and have NO guarantees when we will get it. The sales person apologized for March, but I could handle that delay. The mid-August delay was not even anticipated. I complained and did get something from one email rep saying they would reduce my delivery fees 50% and I am absolutely going to demand that as should all of you. I will never purchase from C&B again.

• angevans02
    last month

Ordered a complete bedroom set in December of 2021. Still waiting and they tell us that we should expect it mid October 2022. So expect about a year for your furniture. I love Crate and Barrel but I think there should be some sort of class action lawsuit. They take your money and make you wait the better part of a year for the merchandise. Disgusting business practices in my opinion. To make matters worse, they actually cancelled the bed in my order and had to order it again(without telling me I might add) and make us wait even longer because of their mistake.

• PRO
    Bam 3D Inc
    last month

I ordered 1 garbage can in March 2022. I receive almost bi-weekly emails regarding delays for the next couple of weeks. It's now June and received another email about another delay for yet just another couple of weeks. Just be honest Crate & Barrell! Jeez.

• Jessica G
    last month

I ordered a deep lounge couch back in Jan, it has been delayed 4 times C&B told me its now delayed until August and are blaming the vendor being overwhelmed and that it is custom fabric (douglas ice). they removed the shipping fee and gave me a sizable gift card (totalling 15% of the order). I recommend calling each time its delayed so you have a history, save all the emails. be prepared to speak to 3 levels of customer support before getting any discounts.

• Rachel P
    last month
    last modified: last month

We ordered a 120"x120" L-shaped Axis sectional with Douglas/Ice fabric in November 2021 with an ETA "late June, early July" 2022. We've received two delay notices so far, and the ETA is now October 2022. We're canceling.

• HU-308147895
    last month

How are you able to cancle?

• Rachel P
    last month

Called customer service, they didn't give us any push back. Told us about a new delay we were unaware of, and that at this point in time the sectional was not even going to arrive all at the same time but rather several weeks apart... useless. All the more reason we're glad to have canceled.

• HU-308147895
    last month

I‘m glad you were able to cancel! thank you for the response.

• Teri Fode
    29 days ago

We ordered the Axis couch (Douglas Ice) in March 2022 with an early August delivery date. after 3 emails delaing the various pieces late into the year, I went into the store and canceled the order! They refunded our 55% deposit - including the ”custom order” of an ottoman. We now are dealing with the same delays on dressers and a console from them with email after email about delays months out. Received another email today which is why I researched to see if anyone else has experienced this and why I am writing this post! Worst experience with a furniture store ever. I have completely lost my trust in Crate & Barrel! Such a shame. Never again!

• HU-308147895
    29 days ago

Thank you for the update Teri!

• Alice Burson
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

We were able to sucessfully cancel our order for a special order axis couch, after multiple delays and issues with other parts of the order, by filing a dispute with the credit card we used. It was not a crate and barrel card.

• HU-308147895
    16 days ago

Thank you!