SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_381283858

Need help with curved staircase in my new house

Helen Zhang
3 years ago

I just moved into a new house purchased from builder. The curved staircase looks kind of strange.

First of all, there is a very noticeable joint in the hand rail which causes the unsmooth feeling of the “curve”. Secondly, the spindles are not evenly placed , distance between 2 spindles in the first several steps are closer than the rest. please see the attached pictures. Is it a deficiency that I should inform builder or I am just too picky as my husband said?

Comments (18)

• bpath
    3 years ago

Just a guess, but the curve is tighter toward the bottom? And they wanted 2 spindles per step? So the steps are not as deep at the bottom on the spindle side, right? Not sure what you can do about that now. Did you contract with the builder for this house, or did he build it, and then you bought it?

Helen Zhang thanked bpath
  • The_Lane_Duo
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'm curious to know the answers to the questions asked above. If the steps are NOT different, then the spindle spacing needs fixed. It drives my eyes a little bonkers. My guess is that code is 2 spindles per step maybe? The railing is definitely a little off but not sure what you communicated to the builder in the beginning.

Helen Zhang thanked The_Lane_Duo
  • Helen Zhang
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The house was finished in 1 year after I put the downpayment last year. it is already closed now.But I still have chance to make a deficiency list. The builder has a model home which is the exactly layout, the curved staircase looks normal in the model home. I am not sure if it is the code requires for 2 spindles per step, but I know the code requires less than 4 inches between 2 spindles for safety issue. My builder is not a custom home builder, they give you several models to choose (some had model home) ,and then they build the house. I expect getting the same curved staircase (the other side is the wall)as the one in model home cause it is a non changeable structure.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Can't tell much of anything from the pictures but if you have a Certificate of Occupancy the builder will tell you to pound sand unfortunately. As "deficiencies" would be missing paint, drywall cracks and screw pops, missing trim, windows and or doors not operating properly, etc. You basically bought a developers tract home and to expect "custom" is not going to happen. Perfection rarely even happens in super custom homes either.

Helen Zhang thanked millworkman
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Abrupt handrail changes are unavoidable if there is change in pitch, but I can't see that here. Maybe if you took the pictures back further? Regardless, the baluster spacing is unacceptable.

This looks to me like the builder couldn't find a handrailer and turned a framer loose. With the marketplace constantly telling tradespeople how little they are valued, I'm sure we're going to be seeing more of this kind of thing.

Helen Zhang thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • chicagoans
    3 years ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC: "With the marketplace constantly telling tradespeople how little they are valued..." I'm sorry to see this statement. I'm no pro and therefore hired many different trades over the last couple of years, spiffing up my home for myself and for sale. (Sold last month.) Over the last couple of years my work included a new front porch, new windows, painting, mold remediation and more. My experience was that tradespeople are in high demand! Especially after the lull caused by COVID, the trades I spoke with are really busy now.

I am lucky that I had some great connections and developed good relationships with people who had been here in the past (builders, electrician, HVAC, etc.) and I tried to show my appreciation by being flexible, appreciative of good work, providing lunch, prompt payment and tips as appropriate. And this isn't just because I'm a nice person :) it's because I see how important they are to me and my home! I truly hope I'm not the exception.

ETA: Sorry OP, I got off track on your thread.

Helen Zhang thanked chicagoans
  • The_Lane_Duo
    3 years ago

I would put it on your list and discuss it with the builder. It would honestly drive me crazy and I'd be ripping it out to have someone do it correctly. It's something you will see daily. It needs to be corrected or redone.

Helen Zhang thanked The_Lane_Duo
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Oh, sure, everyone loves us now, but just wait until the economy slows again. We're the first to go and the last to be rehired. Did you notice women being less attractive during the last recession? Yeah, me neither. That's because momma's gonna feed the kids more Mac 'n Cheese because she damn sure isn't leaving the store without her eyeliner. Her remodel can wait. Ima start selling Mary Kay.

Helen Zhang thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • sprink1es
    3 years ago

Oof that's sloppy. Just measure if any gaps are >4", if not then I assume you're gonna live with them as-is

Helen Zhang thanked sprink1es
  • User
    3 years ago

Tract homes with curved staircases are a pretty bad idea. It takes skill and experience to build them, and that costs money that a tract builder would rather keep in their pocket. You can ask that they do something. Be surprised if they do. Rebuilding an entire stair just is not going to get on their list. It’s far too expensive.

Helen Zhang thanked User
  • Helen Zhang
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, it seems I have little chance to get the whole staircase redone. I could ignore the abrupt, but the unevenly placed balusters (very obvious) bothering me more. Is it pricy to just rearrange the balusters and make the distance equal between all of them or it is impossible to do it without ripping everything out? I found a same model in my community, and their staircase has no problems (same builder, exactly same floor plan)

• lyfia
    3 years ago

Even if you have a very small chance I would still try to get the builder to change it. You may end up being lucky and especially if your house plan is a model and they are still building it as you could always stick a sign in your yard advertising to be weary of that model and you'll gladly show off your wonky staircase :P

Helen Zhang thanked lyfia
  • millworkman
    3 years ago

"Is it pricy to just rearrange the balusters and make the distance equal between all of them or it is impossible to do it without ripping everything out?"

Tearing it all out or a crap ton of putty that will not match anything. Choose widely as he will not buy all new and you may end up having to settle for subpar finish.

• Jennifer
    3 years ago

That would drive me crazy and seems like an oversight /problem to me. We have a curved staircase and every thing is symmetrical.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Yes I would first put it on your list. If they won’t fix it, i would let them know you will put a sign with a picture of the staircase as they actually built it to show prospective buyers. Tell them you might even get the local news station to do a story.

Or at the least post throughout social media with their name and your pictures

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

M Miller:

Way to not address my point that the marketplace reflects the value people place on the building trades. I'm trading my vintage 2008 whine for the 2020 whine of people unable to find good stair contractors.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    3 years ago

Blending straight and curved sections requires some skill. Compare photos of model vs this. That might help your cause if different.