SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_54251424

help! tight kitchen with island!

Tas
3 years ago

Hi everyone. I am here to get some expert advice. I have completed the design of my kitchen and ordered my cabinets and began the demolition. When designing my kitchen I went to 3 different designers who gave me very similar mock ups. Now that my contractor has started the work and taped off where all my cabinets and island will go, I am so worried the layout is tight!

Why might you ask did we not do this exercise sooner? 1) we took down a non load bearing wall to expand the kitchen into what was once the formal dining so we couldn’t draw it out for me to feel it out 2) the designers at the cabinet makers never mentioned it could be an issue so I just trusted it would work

I now have a 9 foot island in center of my kitchen with 4 foot clearance from fridge/microwave to island , but only 37 inch clearance from stove top to island and from sink to counter. I have read many times on forums that this is very tight. While I’m usually the only one cooking, I also enjoy hosting guests.

This far into the game I’m really limited on my options to remedy this. Here are the options I have:

1. make the island 30inch wide by 105. I know this makes for an odd and narrow island but it would give me the needed 6 inches

2. move my island forward so that I at least clear the pathway in front of stove. This won’t fix the tightness of when doing dishes but will for stove. My husband thinks this will make the kitchen look unbalanced and give too much space from fridge to island. But we have plenty of space into the dining nook area to do this easily.

3. keep it as is. I have friends with 36inch clearance all around and they have said that you do get use to it. Husband also walked around with me several times and thinks it is fine since we have so much space on the other sides of island where the foot traffic to fridge, pantry, and microwave take place :)

Would love input! Anyone else have a similar kitchen? Would you advice making the island narrower or moving it forward while I still can??

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH