SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffrey_coney

Double Layer Greenhouse Inflation Question

Jeffrey Coney
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We just built our first greenhouse and there have been a lot of lesson learned along the way. It s a 21' x 18' PVC High Tunnel of my own design

with double 6mil film, and covering raised beds.

I just installed the blower (external air) and inflated the plastic. Found it to be too much pressure so I reduced it by both partially blocking the intake vent for the blower and just bought a switch to reduce the power to the blower motor. As you can see I have a little moisture between the layers that I also need to dry out.

This seems a little like blowing up a balloon. My plastic is very well sealed with wiggle wire and it seems to me like there's only so far you can blow up a balloon before it pops... Is a double layer greenhouse going to work the same way? Keep putting air in doesn't some need to spill off (or out)?

So on to the question...Do I need to install a relief vent? Such as a smaller hole on the opposite end? other wise how do you regulate the pressure? I have been looking at articles and videos about inflation but no one seems to address this. Am I worried about a non-problem here?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. BTW: this photo shows the greenhouse un-inflated.

Comments (5)