SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michele_davis5

Interior paint colors - getting out of control? or keep going?

Florigina
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Everyone... I just discovered Houzz a few weeks ago and I SO wish I had known to start here for advice BEFORE I started this whole house project. I'm VERY much in over my head - so - I hope I don't sound like I'm rambling, but I'll try to condense my concerns and be as clear as I can.

Two months ago, a grand (3800 sq/ft), beautiful house strolled into our lives and, ignoring that it was over the $$ I wanted to spend, we bought it. I am in LOVE with the house - the land - the street - the whole package.

We are not in a rush to move in and the house needed some light reno and painting so we started right away. We hired a contractor to finish the basement and my hubby is tackling the interior painting himself. This is not our first house renovation and (until now) I've been confident about my decisions for paints and decor style (woods, traditional, Earthy-tones).

Bottom line - I have been making many decisions in a short period of time and they are starting to backfire. I've learned HUGE lessons in lighting (this house brings out undertones) and the upstairs hallway and 4 bedrooms are actually 4 different colors that look VERY close to each other. They flow great.

Now... the main floor is a different thing, as I am up to 8 paint colors total - not all flowing together. Each room looks BEAUTIFUL on it's own, but when you stand back - your eyes catch IMO way too many colors that don't match each other, Ugh.

Have a look a the pics, please, and some of these pics are 'in progress pics' because that's all I have taken in some rooms.

This house is a blank slate and (because my hubby is the painter), I don't want to ask him to keep repainting rooms (especially the green, great room which is 22 ft).

Any suggestions for decor/paint/rugs/curtains/furniture are appreciated. I am out of my league and cracking a little, but I'm hoping that furniture and decor will help bind the colors.

Colors:

Main hallway/great room - FINAL STRAW (Behr)

Powder Room - REVERE PEWTER (shows gray)

Dining room - SAPPHIRE BLUE (?)

Study - REVERE PEWTER (shows beige)

Kitchen - KILIM BEIGE

Laundry room - PALE OAK

Bedroom off kitchen - RAINWASHED - bathroom - CLASSIC SILVER

The view from the foyer/front door. (hall - Behr -FINAL STRAW). Upstairs Hallway - Cedar Key (BM)

Kitchen eat in area - Killim Beige

the butler pantry (only area that has the new backsplash) Existing granite is GOLD tone.

looking right from the foyer - to dining room. It's original to house - we liked the blue.

the left side room is a study - REVERE PEWTER - hallway upstairs is CEDAR KEY

I have a few more pics that the site isn't allowing me to upload (even as a comment)

Comments (46)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm