SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littlehouseinthefloodplain

Is my contractor right about kitchen tile layout?

C S
3 years ago

3 years after our house flooded in a hurricane, we're finally finishing the last few things. Installing beautiful tile from Fireclay! Looks great with soapstone countertops which have a greenish hue (difficult to see in the photos). However, the tiles are 6X6 and apparently that only leaves about 1" of space for the top row, underneath the cabinets. So we have two options:
1. Cut the tiles we have into 1" at the top. It might look kinda strange, but will mostly not be noticeable except on the edge, as it's hard to see under the cabinets unless you're bending over.
2. Contractor suggested putting a decorative strip of 1" tile in between the second and third row of tile.
I'm not sure yet because if we do the decorative 1" I'd want it to be something really pretty and not just look like a layout fail. I can't quite imagine what would look good there and don't want to wait to order something that will take another 6 weeks to arrive. Suggestions?
Also, if anyone has an opinions on want to do with the space above the window, that would be appreciated too! Thanks!

Comments (30)