SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chestnut3

Kitchen/mudroom addition layout seeking input

chestnut3
3 years ago

Hello GW!

I am hoping some of you will chime in here with some thoughts and ideas. We are planning to do an addition to our 1928 center hall colonial to include a kitchen, powder room and (hopefully) a mudroom. Attached is a picture with a penciled-in addition. The current kitchen will be gutted. It is a 9x14 space with 2 doorways, 3 windows and a wall that can't be moved because it contains the stack and a laundry chute. It is the worst kitchen ever!

I was thinking the space where the fridge and that laundry chute wall are could become the powder room since it is accessible from the hallway

I'm working with an architect but haven't nailed down any kitchen design yet. We are a busy family of 5: mom, dad, 3 tweens/teens. I'm mom and the main cook but I often have a helper.

Here is my wish-list:

-A mud room with cubbies/lockers for 5

-An island with seating for 5 and the ability to squeeze a few more stools in if we can ever entertain again

-A main sink and a prep sink

-Double wall oven

-Gas or induction cooktop TBD

-Walk in pantry or at least a pantry large enough to store food along with small appliances when not in use

-Built in fridge if budget allows

-I have 2 cabinets I'd like to repurpose as upper cabs in the kitchen. They were in our LR and match 2 in the DR and are 61"h by 42"w (see pic) Maybe as a beverage center? This is not a deal breaker though.

The space doesn't need to be a plain old rectangle like the drawing indicates. We are planning for a patio behind the LR, accessible from the kitchen. Any ideas for a layout that would work?

Thank you in advance!

Cabinets:

Picture from top of basement steps looking into horrendous kitchen. Wall where rad is houses the laundry chute and stack, must stay.

Comments (21)