SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shoozyq

Please help me find bedding and lamp for guest room, pretty please!!

shoozyq
3 years ago

Hi all- moving on to the guest room. Among other things, the room needs bedding, a window treatment and a lamp. Planning to get a woven wood roman shade, but waiting until bedding is chosen. Rug stays. Not sure what type bedding pattern would suit it best. Thanks!

Comments (47)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

can you remove that table and push the dresser to the right? that desk/table is too big, doesn't belong.

what if you moved the bed on the wall where the dresser is? can you try that?

try the dresser under the window.

what color are you painting the walls? you're painting the doors too, yes?

move the nightstand to the left. you can't get to it from the right. (unless you move that dresser down)

Also, can you paint that dresser? might be cool if you did a bold color. need some design choices though.

shoozyq thanked Beth H. :
  • shoozyq
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth H - Thanks! It is definitely crowded in there! Would be nice to be able to fit a small table/ desk, even if just small, but know this is too large and will move it out tomorrow then send pics. If I could fit a bed that would be great. I really like the bed in your first image a lot! Yes, yes, I would be happy to paint dresser. I keep thinking about the two toned chest you posted. It is really fantastic, you did a wonderful job!!! I love the idea of a bold color for this dresser but don't know what color would look good. Thinking maybe BM gray mist for the walls, waiting for sample from Samplize to arrive. That green paper by the bird pic is BM camouflage, but I think its too pea soupish. Open to any color suggestions. and yes need to paint doors too. Thanks
    What design choices should I start with?

• Related Discussions

Stalled!! Please help with guest room. (pics)

Q

Comments (5)
    I love that light that parma found. It would add some glitz to the room. Right now you have only browns. You could add touches of black or I would use the packaged duvet cover and find/make a couple of glitzy pillows in rusty red or peacock blue then add a few more accessories around the room in the color you picked. The Paris pictures are nice but much too small. You could find some more and hang them as a collection, all similarly framed. They wouldn't have to all be Paris either. I would lose the mirror over the dresser and replace it with a large tapestry or picture. Find a mirror framed more like the Paris pictures and put it over the accent piece and then add the Paris pictures around it. You could add interest to the ceiling with wallpaper or wood trim. See link below. You could also frame out wallpaper panels on the walls - a simple version of this: http://www.robertcoxon.co.uk/images/gallery/wall_panels.jpg Good luck. Diane Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

Help Guest room redesign - please?

Q

Comments (16)
    Does anyone know if Silver Sage is a warm or cool color? Does anyone know what EK color is comparable to Silver Sage? I know I want a white duvet and was thinking of the Martha Stewart duvet with the creamy embroidery on it. I think it is on sale at Macys and I have a coupon... :) But what color drapes? White? Too much to think about... I am still worried that with black, white, and cream, a silvery color will be too cold and medicinal. I did run over to the BM store to get some paint chips and found a bunch of silvery greens that might look nice. I want it more aqua/green than lime green and I asked the sales person if they were warm or cool colors and he showed me a chart to look at versus telling me if they were warm or cool (I am guessing his way of telling me he didn't know either). I have been shopping online for the duvets but I will check out the stores this weekend. Thanks for your help.
    ...See More

Guest Bedroom--Please Help Me Design

Q

Comments (12)
    Autumn, I would suggest that you look at nightanddayfurniture.com. You say this will be a seldom used room you don't want to put a lot of $$$ into. However, you want it to look nice. Furniture made by this company is ready to assemble (rta). I've had their Chameleon bed for about four years, and it still looks like new. At that time cost was about $550 for a double bed. It has a lot of custom options. The headboard panels pop off if you want to cover with your own fabric. The bedrail adjusts to two different heights. Other accessories include roll out under bed drawers and a fold out footboard bench. Matching nightstands, dressers, chests, mirrors, and desks are also available. I purchased less expensive wood rta under bed drawers from another company and stained them to match the bed. Two drawers were $110 and push further under so I'm not hitting my toes when making the bed in the morning. I only use a foam mattress, no box springs, and all guests have commented how well they sleep. They also have a four poster bed, rattan bed, and other styles. Unlike you, my bedroom is tiny. I used an entertainment drawer with a supporting corbel beneath from Kraftmaid on each side of the bed to allow easy access to the under bed drawers. These are in white and the bed is stained cherry. I purchased a rta cherry coffee table from Night & Day and cut up the top so the night stand tops would match the bed. The bottom line is to use your imagination to do what best meets your needs.
    ...See More

PLEASE help me decorate my guest room!

Q

Comments (22)
    Not quite sure what Sammy meant but here’s a go... wall 1 has closets on it. Next to it is wall 2 with window and bed. Wall 3 has window, chest and chair. Wall 4 has dresser. Can the bed go on wall 4, and move dresser to corner of wall 2 and 3, and chair to corner of wall 1 and 2, and perhaps chest can go at foot of bed?
    ...See More
  • shoozyq
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Of the three BR pics you share, I like the second one best, but like the idea of an upholstered bed, like the first one.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Go with the colors in the art prints you have. Bed should be opposite the door, so center it on the dresser wall. Paint the dresser in the teal blue from the art and put it under the window. Eliminate the mirror, but hang a taller one in the entry recess so guests can check themselves before leaving the room. Hang the two prints over the bed. Keep the bedding neutral, kind of like the background of the art. You might paint a pale sage green derived from the green in the prints. It is a soothing color for a guest room.

shoozyq thanked decoenthusiaste
  • shoozyq
    Original Author
    3 years ago

decoenthusiaste - Thanks. I like your overall idea with artwork over bed
    & long wall mirror near door. Not sure I want those bird prints over the bed though, I think I will look for new artwork.

• Susan Davis
    3 years ago

For continuity in your house you might want the room/bedding to repeat a color that is already in the home.

shoozyq thanked Susan Davis
  • shoozyq
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, my son and GF who will be using the guest room for visits extended stays would me keep the desk in the room to have an isolated area for for work/zoom calls. I am thinking to start looking around for a secretary with drop down to accommodate a laptop and sitting area but with a smaller footprint. Will post when I come up with something.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

I think the art you chose is very lovely! If you get rid of that large table and switch the bed to the longer wall then you may have room to use a small scale desk as a nightstand.

shoozyq thanked lynartist
  • Molly
    3 years ago

I’ve used my console table as my desk for the last 8 months. It works just fine and I sit there all day every day.

shoozyq thanked Molly
  • shoozyq
    Original Author
    3 years ago

lynartist - Thanks, I didn't realize such small, mini desks existed. Thanks also for your comment on the art...I appreciate that, I'm not sure where to hang the bird prints, brought them along with me to my new to me downsize home. If I move the bed to the long wall, then I like the idea of art over the bed as decoenthusiaste suggested, but I think these prints are too tall for over a headboard.

• shirlpp
    3 years ago

The bed needs a headboard.

• shoozyq
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Molly - possibly if dresser is mover to window and bed on long all a console could fit across from the bed.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Depending on the size of your nightstand/desk the art can go over those. Here is a pic of my bedroom as an example. It’s late; not the best example of what I mean. I’ll look for something better tomorrow.

shoozyq thanked lynartist
  • lynartist
    3 years ago

Better examples. As your prints are a good size you would need larger bedside chest/ desk. Hoping you would have room if you move the bed.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Might be a mix of a few elements in the room.

Sierra 100% Cotton Duvet Cover Set, Beige and Ivory, King/Cal King · More Info

Villa Fern Small Pillow · More Info

shoozyq thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

3-Piece Mint Green Sweet Pea Bedspread Set, Queen · More Info

Villa Azure Small Pillow 12x20 · More Info

• PRO
    Everything Home
    3 years ago

We've included some of our bedroom designs. Perhaps sharing these with you will aid you in your dilemma.

Luxe Living in Zionsville · More Info

Country Club Living: Bedroom · More Info

Stableside: Bedroom · More Info

shoozyq thanked Everything Home
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

Honestly, not sure anything wrong with current paint color, or ivory white bedding. Pillows of art's colors would be very nice. Nightstands with art, etc... better in a large room. It would seem crowded to me.

2nd there's your green.

Alphonse Mucha 'Peonies' 16"x16" Decorative Throw Pillow · More Info
    Herringbone Throw - Contemporary - Throws - by Saro Lifestyle (houzz.com)

• everdebz
    3 years ago

This showed up,, and actually white legs wouldn't show much against rug's light neutrals?

Tracy Queen Bed MOD-5766-WHI-BEI · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Too much look for clean lines or dresser?... idk if floor lamp is the best, but table lamp, yeh?

this board maybe, for a bit of fluff or sweet pillow...

Mckenzie Headboard, Queen, Rails Not Included, Brown Steel · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I added solid muted pillows above -take a peek.

Cable Knit 2 Piece Throw Pillow Shell Set, Jojoba Yellow, 2 Piece, 20"x20" · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Going eclectic! if they esp. like it, and you do -- this type?

Kilim Linen Pillow, 18"x12" · More Info

• shoozyq
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Lynartist, everdebz, Patricia Colwell Consulting, and Everything Home. Sorry for my Delayed response, but wanted to have time to address your comments before posting again. Thanks for supporting me in this process. Unfortunately, had to temporarily stop working on the guest room but hope to start back up next week and it seems deciding bedding and layout is where I'll begin. Patricia Colwell Consulting- was hoping maybe you would chime in. Thanks for providing a suggestion for where to begin the process This room is more home décor orphanage than 5 star hotel! 🤣. Will keep in mind all the elements you suggested in order to make guests comfortable and hope to make it work in this small space. I hadn't thought of dresser in the closet, but it makes sense. Like the idea of artwork above a desk, but not sure of a layout which would accommodate it. I'm including a sketch of the room below,if you, or anyone else could help with an alternate layout recommendations, I would be grateful. Lynartist, your bedroom is beautiful, thanks for sharing it along with other inspiration photos. The bird prints are 30"w. What width nightstand/desk would be needed to hang the prints above? Everdebz, the room is certainly a mishmash of items. Eclectic, but not in a good way. I really wasn't sure where to begin the process. The upholstered and metal beds you posted are contenders, I think the rug might be dark enough. Walls need to be painted, they are only spackled and primed at the moment. Planning to follow Patricia Colwell Consulting's advice looking for bedding next week.

Thanks all!!!!

• jholmesct
    3 years ago

Keep dresser and lose the table. Keep night stand but paint that lamp a dark sage. Light sage paint for the walls- complimentary to the wall art. Move the tall lamp. I think a sage botany oak bedding would be great! With the right pillows you could get away with no headboard but you really need one.

shoozyq thanked jholmesct
  • jholmesct
    3 years ago

Oops I meant botanical bedding theme! Darn auto spell!

• Laura Hill
    3 years ago

What size bed do you have in the room? Is that a Queen?

• janzian
    3 years ago

Are your guests really going to need a dresser that large? I think the table/desk will be more useful to them for laptops and bags and books and whatever they bring. . Could it also act as a nightstand if you moved the bed to the other wall? Room needs a luggage rack and a mirror. I assume the desk/table will have a chair. Provide a hook bar somewhere for clothes, robes, jackets. First i would take the dresser out...

shoozyq thanked janzian
  • User
    3 years ago

I have not read every comment so sorry if this is a repetition but suggest you choose bedding with a dense print . Even the best of guests will sometimes put a wheelie suitcase on a bed to open it etc, and it is essier to deal with after a wash with a dense print.

Rugsville Cotton Kantha Paisley White Handmade Quilt /Bedspread 41533 60x90 · More Info

Good too to put a storag bench at the foot of the bed.

i would get rid of the big desk and instead move the dresser into that space. Put a small table on both sides of the bed.

buy bedside lamps that only require a touch or an obvious button push to turn on and off. They now make nice lamps with phone recharge stations in the base so those can be perfect.

if you can afford it consider taking the doors off the closet and creating a nice looking space for guest clothes in there. You know, a hanging rack and cubbies. If you do that you can ditch the dresser and put back the desk, which is nice to offer guests who bring laptop. But a much smaller lamp for the desk.

shoozyq thanked User
  • debc25
    3 years ago

When you put the bed up against the window and then put something on either side of the bed, it makes it hard to open and close the window covering. I'd put the bed against the wall with the artwork and lose the artwork. Make the feature on that wall the headboard of your bed. The artwork is rather large if there is already something on the wall. Kind of overpowers the wall. I'm no designer, just an ordinary person who knows what I like.

shoozyq thanked debc25
  • smaroulis
    3 years ago

Definitely put the bed on the long wall.

shoozyq thanked smaroulis
  • Laura Alexoff
    3 years ago

I love muted neutrals with natural fabrics with some different textures. Position the bed along long wall, not under window. Headboard for sure, maybe low profile simple linen fabric covered padded headboard. Black curtain rod with floor length woven texture drapes (Target has great price on insulated room darkening ones). Use wall mounted thick wood shelves instead of night stands and wall mounted light fixtures on each side of bed. If have to keep large dresser, keep at foot of bed, but prefer smaller dresser, possibly inside closet. Recommend remove floor lamp. Simple design black ceiling fan with plain light for overhead lighting and light breeze comfort in room. Add at least one real or artificial plant. I have this fold down computer desk from Target and love it to hide everything inside when not using it. Upper compartments can hold work supplies or decor items. Top of desk is nice for framed photos, small plant. Upholstered desk chair would be extra nice. This look might be is boring to some people, but a serene practical uncluttered retreat to me. Bedding color is dependent on what color you paint walls, but keep it cream/white/gray/taupe/khaki neutrals depending on wall color. Good luck!

shoozyq thanked Laura Alexoff
  • shoozyq
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Laura Hill - Yes, a queen bed. I need the functionality of it for two adults to share.

• shoozyq
    Original Author
    3 years ago

janzian- Thanks. Good point, a table/ desk is more useful than a dresser for guests, certainly in my case. Yes will include chair. Planning to do some rearranging this week, definitely a full length mirror and hopefully a luggage bench. Good idea to add a hook or two.

• shoozyq
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ital mover - Thanks. Your suggestions are fresh I will keep your good them in mind when looking for lamps and bedding. Might also look into getting the closet redone though I think it would involve a wall change as well since the closet space currently extends behind the wall and I don't want to lose the space.

• HU-786049761
    3 years ago

The long wall where your dresser currently is makes the most sense to put the bed as that will allow you to place 2 approximately 20" side tables on either side and leave a 3 foot walkway all around the bed. Side tables with 3 drawers would give you storage. A headboard would be great. Place small scale chair in the corner where your floor lamp currently is with a laptop height small scale table (25" high) next to it to function as your desk space and include floor lamp as well for lighting. Since you are keeping the area rug consider bedding that will compliment it, Emmalyn Chateau duvet cover from Pottery Barn could be your style (similar to art you have) has the grey tones of your area rug and is currently on sale. People commonly either choose art or an area rug to start their design projects.

• shoozyq
    Original Author
    3 years ago

debc25 Thanks Good point about the the window coverings being more difficult to open/ close behind the bed. The bed was actually moved to that spot to give it a try in that location, but I'll probably move it back to the long wall which is where I originally placed it and seem to be the consensus

• shoozyq
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Laura Alexoff - Thanks. I like the idea of a drop down desk with hutch which is nice looking and take up less space!! The ceiling fan has been purchased and installed since original photo. I went with a white one to blend with ceiling.

• User
    3 years ago

Depending on your ultimate choice in bedding, this chair might work if you are keeping a desk. I think it would go nicely with your art work, and it has the advantage of being on casters, so if someone wants to pull it away from the desk and use it as a reading chair, that works -- especially if you add a storage bench or a pair of storage ottomans at the foot of the bed where someone can prop up their feet. The storage can be useful for holding extra blankets or pillows for those want them.

Fabric And Metal Chair In Light Gray CH-177240-1-LGY-F-GG · More Info

One other thought: I you live in an area with a deep freeze winter and decide to keep the bed under the window, consider a taller upholstered headboard to block any chance of a cold draft coming down on the sleeper. Just a simple one would do:

Polly Nail Button Border Headboard, Premier Tidepool, Platinum, Queen · More Info

Everybody has their own ideas how to treat their overnight guests, but my feeling is that the room they sleep in should be functional and comfortable but a lot more interesting than staying in a hotel room.

Butterfly Linen Pillow · More Info

shoozyq thanked User
  • Gail Fowler
    3 years ago

Put your taller lamp on the right of the bed in that corner by the dresser and put your night stand with lamp on the left side of the bed.

shoozyq thanked Gail Fowler
  • Nanda Botelho
    3 years ago

, ,

shoozyq thanked Nanda Botelho
  • shoozyq
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Gail Fowler. Floor lamp to left would provide better balance.

• coray
    3 years ago

My 2 cents’ worth, looking at things mainly from a guest’s point of view: don’t overpower the room with too many decorative items, esp. throw pillows, which guests must find room for when actually using the bed; many people simply throw them into a corner, on the floor, so now you have to either wash them, or put them back on your laundered linens, dirty as they are.....not a good idea. Another thing that is important to me: rather than one large night stand on only one side, put a smaller one on each side of the bed. When you have a couple spending the night they will both need a place to put their glasses, iPad/cell phone or a glass of water....I hate having to put my things all the way on the floor if I have no night stand on my side. Also: please don’t “stage” your night stands with little “pretties” such as fake flowers, fake grass in little pots, pictures etc....a lamp for reading will suffice, and anything else will clutter up the space your guests will want to use. As for linens, you have art work and a patterned rug, so I would suggest a nice, classic hotel bedding....you can get a nice sateen from Cuddledown, or try RH or Serena and Lily if you don’t mind spending more money. Cuddledown’s come in several colors, are a nice, soft cotton, and if you watch them in the dryer and don’t leave them in too long you can get away without having to iron them. (I do that with my Serena and Lily, as well.) Good luck!

• loobab
    3 years ago

coray is so right!

And I will add to coray, I suggest not have lamps on the night stands at all, but having sconces affixed to the wall next to the bed.

This solves several problems.

This avoids having a bulky lamp on the night table, especially important when you may need to get a smaller bedside table due to the size of your room.

You can get the type of wall sconce that has an adjustable height, so it will work well as a reading light for people sitting up in bed even if one is 6'3" and the other is 5'3", and will work no matter the height of the bed as well.

Some of these wall sconces are plug in so you don't even need to call the electrician, and you can get the cord cover if you don't like the look of the cord.

Re secretary: I do not advise getting a vintage secretary with drop-down desk with hutch to use as a work surface.

When one works, one tends to lean on the desk with the weight of ones arms or elbows.

Secretaries are just not made to take that weight, and the hardware holding the drop-down leaf will break off the secretary or worse, the wood of either the wooden leaf or the secretary will be significantly damaged. And fine craftsmen who know how to repair this are very hard to find.

Furthermore, why is there any need for a hutch in a guest bedroom?

That bed room is too small, a large piece of furniture like that will only make the room look smaller.

If you need a place to store extra towels, get a hotel towel rack for the bathroom like this-

You said that your son and GF will be coming for extended stays, so they need a place to keep their clothing.

That is a very big closet.

I would put in a closet system like ELFA to accommodate their clothing with racks and shelves, etc. so that you do not need a dresser at all in that room. (You will have 2 night stands with drawers.) This way you will have space for a small work table and chair for them.

Another thought is to ask them how much time they will actually be needing a surface for their laptop. Maybe they could get by with a drop-down desk that is affixed to the wall (there are some with legs for more support) plus a (folding chair,) rather than a permanent table.

https://www.decoist.com/fold-down-desks/?chrome=1

And then they could have a nice comfortable chair for reading or whatever, and a laptop holder/lap desk like these (many people use these)

https://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-lap-desks.html

• coray
    3 years ago

Loobab: I totally agree with you re. wall sconces and hutch/secretary. We have wall sconces in 3 of our bedrooms, for the very reasons you mentioned, and found a lot of good options at Rejuvenation, because they sell many plug-in types. And yes, IMHO the room is small for a lot of extra furniture, and you want your guests to be able to move around comfortably, put their bags etc....I would stay away from anything but the obvious necessary pieces, plus maybe a chair, if there’s room. Sometimes even larger bedrooms become small because people have so many of grandma’s antiques in their “spare” rooms.....old wardrobes, sewing tables, grandkids’ rocking chairs.....not ideal for guest rooms unless they are huge.

• Suzanne
    3 years ago

Many ideas given are excellent. Here are my two cents worth. I appreciate having room to stash my empty luggage in the closet and out of site and out of the way when I am visiting for a longer period. I also think a chair is necessary in any bedroom. Size can vary depending on what it may be used for: work, reading, drop your clothes... I have found that my guests use my wall hooks all of the time

• HU-761087310
    3 years ago

Mi